Japanese Import Trailer Wiring

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZEA

Hi everyone,

I am the currently very happy owner of a Japanese import 2013 Outlander PHEV, here in NZ. I recently bought a tow bar kit from Mitsubishi NZ. All bolted up very nicely, and the manufacturer instructions were easy to follow.

However, when it comes to plugging in the wiring harness (factory wiring kit came with the black box controller etc, which I presume is to ensure separation of load and control, with trailer light power coming straight from battery), I cannot find the trailer connector in the loom! I had all the trim panels off as instructed, and felt down the looms just incase.
I have been told by Mitsubishi NZ that some imports probably don't have the connector - a fairly unsatisfactory answer. The offered solution - send it to an auto electrician for about $600.

I can cut and splice wires if I have to, but I am hoping that is not necessary. So:
1. Did I just miss the harness connector, or have others had this problem?
2. If you had this problem, what did you do?
2. Does anyone know the necessary wiring colours and locations to cut in?
4. Does anyone know where to buy a tee piece for an existing plug if that's what I need?

I'd really like to carry on and use the factory tow harness, and I believe it just needs the power and signal wires accordingly. Can't be that hard?

The car has no parking sensors by the way (but does have electric tail gate and reversing camera).

I have trawled the topics (and internet) and am pretty sure no one has defined a solution for this yet...so, any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

The team that fitted my towbar took a lot of photographs, because it was the first time they'd done a PHEV.

Do these help?

Attachments

• Electrics1.JPG
    Electrics1.JPG
    548.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Electrics2.JPG
    Electrics2.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Electrics3.jpg
    Electrics3.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 163
Hey mate, very cool. Thanks alot.

Unfortunately, it looks like yours was Aussie new and seems to have had the 10 pin connector wired in ready for a tow bar.

Does help with identifying wire colours somewhat...

Thanks for the reply :)

Did you find an answer to this? I have exactly the same issue on the same year JDM car having bought a 2nd hand towbar from an NZ new car with the connector which sits in the nearside rear quarter.
I've seen some kits for sale in the US but not sure if its the same for a JDM car.

Hi there,
Unfortunately no fix yet. If I manage to get around to actually fixing the wiring I shall take photos and post. Trying not to spend the money on auto electrician for a relatively simple job like this.
I have the same kit as you.
Cheers,
Ben

I believe I have the answer (no thanks to a couple of tow hitch companies in Auckland). In front of me I have a CST S2 relay interface from anything electronic down in Nelson http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/aenz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=455 this is the unit fitted to the car my 2nd hand hitch came off of. There are different and cheaper options on the market (TEB7A-24) but this was free after I hit up the parts dealer where the tow bar came from and advised that they had failed to give me all the parts I needed, despite having asked them to check to make sure for me when I bought it :) win!

The unit is in simple terms a bunch or relays that get a trigger from the original loom and add voltage to the outputs, so they still report the bulb status without and voltage drops etc when the trailer is connected.

I'm going to fit it tomorrow so will take photos and post them for you. Hopefully it may help you on your mission.

I just spent a very long time writing a guide and the website messed up and I lost the lot, now I remember why I don't use PHP forums any more. Here's a shorter version.

The answer is that there is no secret hidden tow connector up behind the tailgate opener on 2013 JDM Outlander PHEVs like you see in some photos and videos. As seen in my photo below.

file.php

But you can work around it.

You will need to connect to the lighting wires using a relay box CST S2, TEB7A-24 or similar so you don't create faults on the lighting system. I don't think you offical mitsi loom is any good but you can likely sell it for the same cost as the bits you need.
You will also need 1m of 7 core trailer wire, some wire taps, a meter of green wire and a meter or red wire, insulation tape or fabric tape if you want and cable ties.

I usually hate the little plastic wire taps but didn't want to butcher the loom and I was feeling a bit lazy anyway.

The connections are:

Left tail light wiring.

Pink = left indicator
Black/white = tail light
Brown = brake

file.php

On the panel below the tail light is another multi connector, you need to tap into this also. (the blurry one in the photo, the one in focus is coming from my trailer wiring)

Blue wire = reverse

file.php

Now get access to the right rear light wiring and pull in a green wire from the new light relay box and connect as below.

Right tail light wiring

Purple = right indicator

Sadly I can't add a forth picture for some reason as this site wont let me ;(

Now reference the standard 7 pin trailer wiring colour reference (google it) and wire the relay box up, tap power from the battery (use a fuse) and an earth to the bolt where the tailgate motor mounts.

Test continuity for each wire from trailer plug to where it enters the relay and also from relay to loom. Then if everything checks out you can fire it up and test with a test bulb or the trailer itself.

It took me a couple of hours to do this, but I was tracing and testing the wires and had to get the Mrs to come out and hit reverse, brake etc while I confirmed them, I guess this is an hour with the right info and parts on hand.

I should note that you follow this at your own risk as the wiring may be different on cars other than mine.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 3.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 98
Mate, this is gold. You've done all the hard work for us.

FYI the mitsi kit came with what looks like a relay switch box too. So now we just need to hook it up as per your wire colours and we should be good.

Only question(s) i have - where do I get my hands on some of those wire taps, and where can I get a matching plug pair like yours?

The wire taps are from Supercheap or repco https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-sca-electrical-terminals---wire-tap-connector-3-4mm-6-pack/120046.html#q=wire%2Btap&lang=en_NZ&start=3 and you may need to pinch a slot a little bit as the 3mm is still a about .5mm to wide and may not make the connection.

Trailer cable again Supercheap https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-trailer-wire---twin-sheath-3mm-per-metre-red-black/271789.html#pmax=20.00&q=trailer+cable&pmin=0.00&sz=60&start=2

Don't worry about the plug as you don't need it, mine came with the plug and socket with connection to the trailer socket and bare ends on the other, so I just connected the bare ends to the relay.

Just in case theres any confusion the connector hanging down from the loom with red yellow and white wires is for my sub and not for the trailer or to tap power from.

Good luck.

Incase anyone comes looking, I was able to use the wiring kit that came with the Mitsubishi NZ supplied tow bar kit. It turned out to be a relatively generic Car LED to Trailer Light interface box. I wrote down the which pin is which for the box as I went, so will dig out the details and post them up.

Have been towing lights and all for almost a year now and no worries. :D

Back