Outlander Toxic Smell

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael58

I apologize for yet another "toxic smell" post but none of the problems listed seemed to describe the issue I've been having accurately.

The problem:
-The smell is not a sulfuric "rotten egg" smell that has been described here nor is it related to the burning-off of "road muck" as I've been driving almost exclusively in snow since I purchased the car four months ago. Rather, to be as exact as I can about a smell, it has an extremely chemically toxic smell.
-It also doesn't seem to be related to charging as the smell does not seem apparent during or after charging in my garage.
-I have noticed it most strongly out of the right front wheel well and have also noticed it in the cabin.
-It seems to occur when stopped or after driving while using only or mostly battery power.

I love this car but the odor is so severe, when it does happen, that I am concerned about my health and my family's health. I took it in to the dealership and they were able to smell it one time but have been unable to reproduce it since. They tell me therefore that there is nothing they can do except trade the car in at a $16,000 depreciation. I have a full-service, bumper-to-bumper, 100,000 mile warranty.
I have contacted Mitsubishi and they've relayed that there is nothing they can do since the dealership can't find anything wrong.

So I guess my question for you all is, has anyone else had this problem? And what do you all suggest that I do at this point?

Thank you!

No never , I have had two Outi 4H since 2016. Initially while charging on the run some burning smell comes , but it disappears after a month after buying a new car.

Could be the insulation on one of those thick orange drive cables is overheating.

Or any of the car's electric cables for that matter.

My wife's 2015 Outlander failed its MOT. One of the front calipers was stuck on. It explains the strange smell.

jaapv said:
Could it be the AC unit? I don't know what AC coolant smells like.

A/C 'coolant'? Do you mean the refrigerant? If so, it has no smell. The oil does, but not bad and there's so little of it that it would not persist.

Sounds like a sticky brake caliper to me too.

I sometimes get a antifreeze smell, maybe that’s what you are smelling.
Has a distinctive odor, I have no leaks so I’m assuming it’s coming from the coolant reservoir that gets a lot of circulation under the hood.
Dave

littlescrote said:
jaapv said:
Could it be the AC unit? I don't know what AC coolant smells like.

A/C 'coolant'? Do you mean the refrigerant? If so, it has no smell. The oil does, but not bad and there's so little of it that it would not persist.

Sounds like a sticky brake caliper to me too.
My sticky brake caliper did not produce a noticeable smell - and the disk had run blue.

Back