Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Using the "B" levels.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:04 am 

I also use B5 most of the time, but I'll turn it down to B3 if on cruise control in an area where I know there are no steep hills (where B5 may be needed to hold the speed down). This is because I worry (probably unduly) that if I cancel cruise control in B5, I might have some tailgating idiot in the back of me :).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
I also use B5 most of the time, but I'll turn it down to B3 if on cruise control in an area where I know there are no steep hills (where B5 may be needed to hold the speed down). This is because I worry (probably unduly) that if I cancel cruise control in B5, I might have some tailgating idiot in the back of me :).

Actually I do the reverse - whereas I would be in B0 usually, I find putting into B5 when cruising at high speed in traffic enables me to slow down so as NOT to drive into the back of you when I'm tailgating :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 am 

Silly question from a future owner: Is there any regenerative effect on gently pressing the brake pedal? Or regenerative braking only takes place on releasing the gas pedal and use the B pads?

Cheers.

Alex.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 am 

AlexBorro wrote:
Silly question from a future owner: Is there any regenerative effect on gently pressing the brake pedal? Or regenerative braking only takes place on releasing the gas pedal and use the B pads?

Cheers.

Alex.

Not a silly question at all Alex, and that is exactly how it works. Regardless of which B level you are in, pressing the brake pedal lightly puts the stopping energy to the regen rather than physical brakes until a very slow speed.

That's why I usually use B5 in an urban area - it's the same effect but done with a single pedal rather than needing to use 2 pedals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 am 

Hi All,

Thanks for the observations - I've only had my Outlander since Sunday and now obviously can't get out and drive it!?! I have been reading the manual and it's not very helpful :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 am 

As mentioned, when you press the brake pedal, the PHEV uses regen whenever possible, only using the friction brakes when you ask it to stop faster than max regen will allow. This is regardless of the 'B' setting. So light 'braking' will mean that the friction brakes are barely used. This can cause problems if they start to corrode over time, so a firm push from high speeds is occasionally useful to clean the disks. When it's cold and/or the battery is full, the car can't generate much regen, so the disks will be used more until the battery level drops. So you could try to clean the disks by braking firmly while the battery is full.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 am 

I like the B steps, allows me to drive on single pedal only. very relaxing.

thing to remember though: with full batteries, the braking is less as there's nothing to charge. Never takes long with the little range but it catches me sometimes.

I remember a statement here somewhere: coasting is always more efficient that regenerating. However, in daily driving one cannot always coast for long distances without hindering fellow travelers very much.

Time for the forward planning (and including hill climbs and descents) cruise control to be invented.