Wheel Nuts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustybolts

Hi, anyone know the wheel nut torque for a 2019 with aluminum wheels. My searches yielded nothing.
Thanks you

The official users manual that I've downloaded for my 2016 says on page 400 - tightening torgue 88 to 108 Nm.

It's very easy to search the pdf for things like that (ctrl-f).

The official users manual that I've downloaded for my 2016 says on page 400 - tightening torgue 88 to 108 Nm.

It's very easy to search the pdf for things like that (ctrl-f).

Thank you, that sounds easier than searching the book.

In this case not too difficult to find in the manual. People seem reluctant to look in car Owners Manuals for some reason, yet probably 80% of the 'what does this mean?' or 'how do I?' questions asked on the Facebook group (and probably about 60% on here) have the answer right there in your glovebox, with no guesses or misleading information.

Admittedly if you're not used to looking things up in reference books (a skill that doesn't seem to be taught at school so much), then it helps to know how to start:

Go to the index at the back.
Look up Wheel.
Wheel covers is on page 9-17. Not that useful so look up Tyre - How to change a tyre is on page 9-13.
So around page 9-13 to 9-17 is where stuff to do with wheels and removing/fitting them is likely to be.
Turn to page 9-13 as it's likely to say when fitting a wheel back on what to tighten the nuts to.
Skim through the headings to see if there's anything relevant over the next couple of pages.
And there it is on the top of the middle column of page 9-17: 'Tightening torque 88 to 108 Nm'

richr said:
Admittedly if you're not used to looking things up in reference books (a skill that doesn't seem to be taught at school so much), then it helps to know how to start:'

Well enjoy it while you can - new Fords (especially Fiestas) are increasingly not having an owner's manual included anymore. So you have to go 'online' whether you like it or not. Expect other manufacturers to follow suit if it saves a few pennies. I can't imagine the misery of trawling through an online manual when you're in a hurry to find something out. I've noticed a few s/h Range Rover Evoques having home printed manuals in them too, so perhaps you no longer get one with one of those either.

NightPHEVer said:
richr said:
Admittedly if you're not used to looking things up in reference books (a skill that doesn't seem to be taught at school so much), then it helps to know how to start:'

Well enjoy it while you can - new Fords (especially Fiestas) are increasingly not having an owner's manual included anymore. So you have to go 'online' whether you like it or not. Expect other manufacturers to follow suit if it saves a few pennies. I can't imagine the misery of trawling through an online manual when you're in a hurry to find something out. I've noticed a few s/h Range Rover Evoques having home printed manuals in them too, so perhaps you no longer get one with one of those either.

Interesting, I take the opposite view.

I'd much rather have manuals in digital form.

It takes seconds to find what you want (via search) rather than hours of searching the fine print with a magnifying glass in the printed manual.

Being able to have 10,000 manuals on my workshop e-book is a plus too.

NightPHEVer said:
Well enjoy it while you can - new Fords (especially Fiestas) are increasingly not having an owner's manual included anymore. So you have to go 'online' whether you like it or not. Expect other manufacturers to follow suit if it saves a few pennies.

it not only saves them a few pennies, it saves weight in the vehicle which could mean the difference in fuel consumption between one band and the next that could have implications for running costs.

as above, everyone has a device capable of viewing an online or downloaded manual in their pocket and using the search option is much easier.

It is not so much about pennies and weight; most technical products nowadays have a "quick start guide" at most - it saves trees.

So when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere without a mobile 'phone signal, I'd rather have some low tech paper to hand :lol:

Going back to the original question...

I always find two grunts and an elbow click perfectly adequate! :lol:

Well yes, if you have that most essential tool a telescopic wheelbrace (ie. extendable) then you undo the nut in the extended position and do it up in the 'closed' position. Can't go wrong really as in the 'closed' position (de-extended), with the strength of your average arm, it'll be around 100Nms anyway. For gawds sake don't ever do the nut up in the extended position though.

As I change my winter/summer wheel 'n' tyre combination every six months (I always use a torque wrench) I never get any trouble with stuck nuts (or wheels - a smear of copper grease on the hub and stud threads, but hey that's another whole other subject of controversy). Although a Mitsubishi main dealer did the nuts up on one of my wheels around four months ago and two of the nuts were way above 100Nm. One of them was the locking nut and it was scarily tight. I don't know how they manage to do this as they always to my knowledge use a torque wrench. I recently witnessed an overtightened locking wheelnut on a BMW (done-up by a Jaguar main dealer with a torque wrench - I actually saw them do it) that snapped off when undone. Took around 4 hours and a seriously damaged alloy to get that wheel off again.

NightPHEVer said:
As I change my winter/summer wheel 'n' tyre combination every six months (I always use a torque wrench) I never get any trouble with stuck nuts (or wheels - a smear of copper grease on the hub and stud threads, but hey that's another whole other subject of controversy).

Same here. The manual specifically states not to use lubrication on the threads though, as it reduces the tightening torque (as you say though, that is a whole other subject).

Oops! Reminds me, must change mine over, in case we get released from Lockdown and I'm suddenly asked to belt up the M1 @ 80 mph in 25c weather on some domestic emergency and I still have the winters on :oops:

Back