Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Flattened auxiliary battery - any consequences?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:45 am 

There are commercial solutions available for this. Plug and play.

LiFePO4 replacement for acid lead batteries:

http://www.go-aliant.com/lithium/index. ... t-serie-ea

A friend of mine uses one of this to replace its motorcycle one. Very happy with the solution.

Cheers.

Alex.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:17 am 

HHL wrote:
I do have one of those testers... Also thought they are a great idea, mine even tells me what the internal resistance is in milliohms... great, until the battery in my big car died....
After I replaced it, I decided to recharge the old one and this gadget pronounced it good even though it can only sustain a 2 amp load for about 15min..... so, not sure what the algorithm is to pronounce a battery good or bad.. it sure is not reliable. I don't trust it any more and have gone back to old one that puts a 100A load on it.

I take it that you set all of the parameters (CCA, battery chemistry, etc) properly in the tester? Which one do you have? I'd like to avoid getting that one. Maybe I should also pick up a traditional 50-100A load tester too. I wonder if you had an individual cell just conk out, as opposed to the entire battery's aging process contributing to its demise.

Then again, if we look at how load testers work https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arc ... r_readings the ones that don't draw a large current tend to rely on capacitive and inductive components inside the battery to get their readings. So I'm not sure how they could possibly get a good reading when the battery terminals are still attached to the vehicle, if there are capacitive and inductive components in the vehicle too.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 pm 

STS134 wrote:
HHL wrote:
I do have one of those testers... Also thought they are a great idea, mine even tells me what the internal resistance is in milliohms... great, until the battery in my big car died....
After I replaced it, I decided to recharge the old one and this gadget pronounced it good even though it can only sustain a 2 amp load for about 15min..... so, not sure what the algorithm is to pronounce a battery good or bad.. it sure is not reliable. I don't trust it any more and have gone back to old one that puts a 100A load on it.

I take it that you set all of the parameters (CCA, battery chemistry, etc) properly in the tester? Which one do you have? I'd like to avoid getting that one. Maybe I should also pick up a traditional 50-100A load tester too. I wonder if you had an individual cell just conk out, as opposed to the entire battery's aging process contributing to its demise.

Then again, if we look at how load testers work https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arc ... r_readings the ones that don't draw a large current tend to rely on capacitive and inductive components inside the battery to get their readings. So I'm not sure how they could possibly get a good reading when the battery terminals are still attached to the vehicle, if there are capacitive and inductive components in the vehicle too.

The one I have is branded AutoXS. It does allow the selection of CCA capacity as well as whether it is in or out of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:39 am 

HHL wrote:
The one I have is branded AutoXS. It does allow the selection of CCA capacity as well as whether it is in or out of the vehicle.

What's the model number of that device? The AutoXS stuff I see doesn't even allow setting of CCA (and is more like a battery state-of-charge device and charging system tester rather than a load tester).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6