EVPS (EV Power Station) feature

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooneymal

Hi.
In the process of buying an Outlander PHEV. A few reviews of the Australian versions indicate that the most expensive 2020 model (Exceed) had an EVPS feature that allows the car battery to be used to power your home. Mitsubishi official website does not mention it. Anyone know anything about it? I am presuming it needs a bidirectional charger installed. I have done a quick search and there does not seem any of those available in Australia. Anybody using this feature and if so any feedback would be appreciated ?
Cheers
Mal

If that is all it is, then any fitted by the Rapid (ChaDemo) port have it. I don't know about the Australian market, but all UK models have that - but nothing is supplied to use it, it's expensive to get something that uses it, and I wouldn't want to waste my battery charging cycls to use it although I can understand it may be more of a requirement if you live off grid or have an unstable grid.

The Aus market vehicles do not have this function available. It may have something to do with people trying to power up their homes during power cut, and then electrocuting linesmen as the current feeds back into the grid. This is the same reason our solar cuts out during power cut. Function has been readily used in japan, and prior to PHEV, The i-miEV was used to power homes after the japanese earthquake.

Not an electrician but, I agree with this post re feed back to grid. It may also be something to do with Aust standards as far as an Earth is concerned. Which may be the reason the Aust delivered Phev's do not have 240 volt available inside as some overseas models have as I understand.

2020 Excced

Not sure about 2020 PHEV not having 240v outlets inside. I havent seen one yet. I was under the impression as you say, Aus standards wouldnt allow it, But then saw pajero sports arriving with 240v outlets in the centre console. Turns out that they can now comply, So presumably PHEV would be no different.

Well, my Jan 2020 Exceed only has 12v outlets. Maybe similar to caravan type DC/AC inverters that used to electrify the van unless earth lead was staked into ground. It would be an advantage to have 240v outlet and I hoped that mine would have had one, but alas it/they were not there.

Well, there is the Dendo Drive House:
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/innovation/motorshow/2019/gms2019/dendo/

If you get the right install, it's perfectly feasible to use any battery pack to cut in seamlessly when there's a powercut. It just needs to isolate the house automatically so that it doesn't try to energise the grid all by itself. People are running those already; for instance Tesla Powerwalls already have an option to do so.

The only issue would the cost of doing this, as the kit to connect the PHEV DC Chademo socket to an AC system is not cheap, and rewiring your house to isolate from the grid automatically won't be cheap either.

As a matter of fact, a small (and cheap) backup generator -say 2 kW- is sufficient to keep essential systems ticking over at night and kick-start your solar system in the daytime. At a much lower cost. The environmental impact would be minimal, even compared to using the PHEV battery.

This bloke runs a firm selling solar and battery installations, and he's on the SpeakEV forum. Here's his decription of such a system: https://tanjent-energy.com/blog/my-experience-of-a-sustained-power-cut/

Thanks for all the feedback. I did manage to get a little info about. I downloaded the 600 page owners manual for the car and there is a paragraph in it which indicates that it requires a bidirectional CHAdeMO charger. For now this does not seem to exist for Australia, but it is enough to go on. Whether it is worthwhile is another question altogether.

This was the complaint from down under if I remember correctly from 6 years ago but I also think at the time there only 2 charging points in the whole country anyway.

Back