To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally Chris an advantage of NOT having the electric heater in mine. Not only wouldn't I have the worry about wifi but because it was cold at the start of Lockdown I've been burning fuel to keep warm on even the short drive to the supermarkets hunting for toilet paper :lol:

Slightly improved my position as I had to go out this morning for essential shopping (well it is SWMBO's birthday !) and to collect veg boxes for the village. Drove the whole time in Sport mode once I'd used up some battery :twisted:

Anybody know how long you can go after getting the message before refilling? Avoiding unnecessary journeys at the moment so will take a while to use up 15l of fuel. There is nothing in the manual about any deadline once the car puts itself in charge mode.

I assume that you can go as long as you like, but until you've done the "Refuel 15l or more" the engine will run continually. I'm wondering how the car measures this - it can only measure fuel in the tank somewhat approximately, whereas it measures fuel consumed extremely precisely. Does it really mean it will continue to run the engine until 15l of petrol has been consumed? I may find out if I get to 19th June on (almost entirely) electric power.

Well it has put itself in charge mode so I assume the engine will run until the main battery is fully charged. I doubt that will take 15l though so I wonder what will happen then?

If you have space in the fuel tank, putting in 15l kills the message - so it is not measured by consumption.

I don't think having a full battery stops the engine running when in forced charge mode just the charging.

A nice elegant solution. Thanks Steve. I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks where the existing fuel will be used up but was unhappy that I would have to drive on petrol until then. I tried Steve's solution which took all of 2 minutes and resolved the issue.

Stevepl11 said:
So many people want to make this more difficult than it has to be.

Open the bonnet. Remove the cover from the main fuse block. There is a green 30 amp fuse with a yellow remover on it. This fuse is identified as IOD. This stands for Igniton Off Draw, it supplies those things that remain live when the car is...Off. Pull it out. Wait a few seconds, put it back. Job done. The older fuel timer is reset. No tools needed.

It has been 90 days and 19 hours since I last filled the tank and I'm still not getting this message. I wonder how many days need to have elapsed before this happens.

Do you have to reach a certain speed before this kicks in? I just put the car in READY mode (but didn't move it from my garage).

jdsx said:
Just looked upthread, and I see mine finally started after 93 days.... :eek:
It's now at 93 days, 1 minute, since refueling and the engine still hasn't started. Does this happen as soon as you put it in READY mode or do you need to start driving/reach a certain speed/etc.?

STS134 said:
jdsx said:
Just looked upthread, and I see mine finally started after 93 days.... :eek:
It's now at 93 days, 1 minute, since refueling and the engine still hasn't started. Does this happen as soon as you put it in READY mode or do you need to start driving/reach a certain speed/etc.?

I'm going to take a guess that your tank is very low and your refuel warning is on? I had the same last night. I had driven it for well over 90 days but the last 30 days or so were with a low tank and the low fuel warning on but driven in EV only. The ICE did not start. However, I filled it last night with 15 litres as i will be going on a longer journey tonight and as soon as I went to Ready the ICE started. As I didn't want it on, I switched it off and then back to Ready and it didn't come on again, so I think there's a bug in the code.

littlescrote said:
I'm going to take a guess that your tank is very low and your refuel warning is on? I had the same last night. I had driven it for well over 90 days but the last 30 days or so were with a low tank and the low fuel warning on but driven in EV only. The ICE did not start. However, I filled it last night with 15 litres as i will be going on a longer journey tonight and as soon as I went to Ready the ICE started. As I didn't want it on, I switched it off and then back to Ready and it didn't come on again, so I think there's a bug in the code.
Actually no. My tank is nearly full, since I refilled completely after a road trip and then the lockdowns happened, and I have barely used any gas for 93 days and counting. Only time in 93 days was when I started the vehicle when it was 37°C outside and I had the climate controls set to 22°C and the engine started and ran for about 3-5 minutes, then shut down again.

Well, it might have been on the 94th day that the engine started :oops: ! IIRC it starts straight away once you switch on. Let us know what happens tomorrrow!

jdsx said:
Well, it might have been on the 94th day that the engine started :oops: ! IIRC it starts straight away once you switch on. Let us know what happens tomorrrow!
94 days, 2 minutes since refueling: ICE still hasn't been forced on.

jdsx said:
Well this is interesting because it's now been over 95 days since refueling and the ICE has still not been forced on. This might actually be the longest interval reported here so far, so I wonder if:

- Mitsubishi changed the code that controls the old fuel burn off and increased the number of days (although my manual, for MY 2018, still says this happens if refueling hasn't happened in "three months")

- This is somehow dependent on the fuel level in the tank, i.e. the lower the fuel level, the shorter the interval. That might make sense, to some extent, because the less air in the tank, the fresher the fuel stays over time. And my tank is still nearly full.

- Battery charge level has something to do with it. My battery is nearly empty, at 1 bar, and the car would not even be able to go 1 mile without switching the ICE on. So maybe the computer has decided that no matter where I drive, the ICE is coming on anyway, and therefore, it doesn't need to switch it on and throw a message to the user saying why it did it?

In any case, what I'm experiencing is different than what happened to you.

Interesting, keep us informed.

I don't think it's as sophisticated as taking fuel level into account as otherwise you would think that they would write something in the manual to the effect of "90 days or longer depending on tank level".

Back