Lindqvist method : DIY BMU Battery Reset

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I reset my PHEV my phone crashed multiple times and I lost lot of WatchDog data

Anyhow ... my last card from my battery is

171 Days (start from 60 days after reset)

Total charge : 880Ah
Total usage 2104 Ah

Battery SOH 36.5Ah

So ... possibly soon will be time for a new reset

Last 0.1Ah lost happen after 10days from the previous one

So ... 0.3Ah lost a month ... so .. getting ready for a new reset in early 2020

A couple of points in that video I'd like clarified before I try the D Method:

1) Start Charging - Okay

2) "Turn car on, press the power button twice" - I guess he means turn Accesories on, foot NOT on brake ?

3) As he exits the car the display says OFF

4) He disconnects 12v and then again says the car is ON, although it's OFF ?

5) When he reconnects the 12V the display lights up
The manual says the car will remember which mode it is in when the 12V is disconnected. So has it remembered it was in Accessory ON ?

Could just have faith in the instructions, but like to have some sense of what's going on......

michael8554 said:
A couple of points in that video I'd like clarified before I try the D Method:

1) Start Charging - Okay

2) "Turn car on, press the power button twice" - I guess he means turn Accesories on, foot NOT on brake ? Reply Yes

3) As he exits the car the display says OFF

4) He disconnects 12v and then again says the car is ON, although it's OFF ?
Reply: the car go off when you unplug charger
5) When he reconnects the 12V the display lights up
The manual says the car will remember which mode it is in when the 12V is disconnected. So has it remembered it was in Accessory ON ? Reply yes

Could just have faith in the instructions, but like to have some sense of what's going on......

Tried it a several Times on my 2018 European Type.

with battery-levels (SOC) between 60 and 22%. whatever i try... no chance to get the "Error" message. :cry:

No difference to see on the dog or on the guess-o-meter.

elm70 said:
Since I reset my PHEV my phone crashed multiple times and I lost lot of WatchDog data

Anyhow ... my last card from my battery is

171 Days (start from 60 days after reset)

Total charge : 880Ah
Total usage 2104 Ah

Battery SOH 36.5Ah

So ... possibly soon will be time for a new reset

Last 0.1Ah lost happen after 10days from the previous one

So ... 0.3Ah lost a month ... so .. getting ready for a new reset in early 2020

Getting close to 36Ah ... so ... soon I will try again the "short" method again (from post #1)

Last card from the Dog:

218 Days

Total charge : 1344 Ah
Total usage : 3128 Ah

Battery SOH 36.1Ah

Just applied D method to my one year old 2019 Outlander and got BMU reseted.
According to the watchdog capacity increased from 38.2Ah tp 46.0Ah.

The only difference to the method D I have noticed - once I have disconnected the 12V battery - car have immediately switched off.

HI all,

I just got 1 week ago a 2015 phev with 190k on the clock. After I checked the SOH with the watchdog it was at 68.4%. After several attempts I succeeded to do the BMU reset using the quick method. My EV ranged had increased significantly and using a power meter on the socket I can see the difference on how much charging is accepting.

Before the reset I could maximum charge 7,5 KWH from empty. Last charge was showing 13 KWH. Maybe the chinese power meter ain't the best one but it's clearly accepting more charge and of course I'm getting more range.

When I've done the reset my battery was around 70% SOC. After reset it was still showing 70% SOC but the range increased as 70% from 26AH is different from 70% from 38Ah it's clear that the BMU assumption was wrong. I don't think that we discovered perpetuum mobile :). Drove the car for 10 Km to drop SOC around 50% and then scheduled the charging for the morning.

Yesterday I've depleted the battery within 33.5 Km (12 of them with AC)- I was really happy about it.

After letting the car to rest for 2 hours checked with the dog the SOC - it was only 23.5 %-minimum cell level 3.75V, Max difference 0.012V - somehow looks like I was under 25% - :eek: :roll: .

I'll keep on monitoring.

From this experience what I can say I think the best moment to do the reset is when you have the battery empty so you would confuse the BMU less than when it's charged.

Have a nice day

Hi!
I did the long procedure (original Lindqvist method), I received the error message. From 34 km we reached 55 km electrically. Yesterday, I suffered a strange thing: after the traction battery was discharged, ICE did not want to start, even if I was with the acceleration on the floor! The only way to start it was to switch to CHARGE mode, but even then the car had a hesitation of 3-4 seconds .... That in the middle of the highway ....

The question would be: what happened (until the procedure he never did so) and especially if I could fix this.
Thank you in advance!

I read that other people had the same kind of problems and fixed it by disconnecting and reconnecting the aux battery. (not the full Lindqvist method, just disconnecting and reconnecting).
It's possible that the Lindqvist method puts the electronics in a strange state and don't fully work as intended, and restarting it can fix those small problems.

Daixiwen said:
I read that other people had the same kind of problems and fixed it by disconnecting and reconnecting the aux battery. (not the full Lindqvist method, just disconnecting and reconnecting).
It's possible that the Lindqvist method puts the electronics in a strange state and don't fully work as intended, and restarting it can fix those small problems.

Thx for advice! I try this before i make over 60-70 km trip to see if it fix.

khaan0001 said:
Daixiwen said:

Thx for advice! I try this before i make over 60-70 km trip to see if it fix.

Again THANK YOU! I did yesterday a 70 km trip and my 2014 work perfect! Start and stop the ICE normaly!

My 2013 (110 000 km) has never been reset and the capacity dropped to 61,8% (24,7Ah) !!!
Until yesterday..

Since then I´m back on 100%

thanks for the bugs
thanks for the forum
thanks to you guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-27-13-20-09-85_381c45adc1def57fe47862c48998b8ff.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 54
Marek said:
My 2013 (110 000 km) has never been reset and the capacity dropped to 61,8% (24,7Ah) !!!
Until yesterday..

thanks for the bugs
thanks for the forum
thanks to you guys
So your battery had degraded so much that it was only safe to draw out 24.7Ah, but you've decided it's perfectly fine to draw out 38Ah. Good luck with that!

Yes, exactly why all other do so. As was already said, the battery didn´t really degraded but was marked as degraded by conservative BMU. So reseting will lead to a new state of battery evaluation. If you check statistic charts of PHEV, the 62%@110000km is barely a real degradation.

ThudnBlundr said:
Marek said:
Until yesterday..

thanks for the bugs
thanks for the forum
thanks to you guys
So your battery had degraded so much that it was only safe to draw out 24.7Ah, but you've decided it's perfectly fine to draw out 38Ah. Good luck with that!

Back