Mitsubishi to exit UK market

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAUK

This came as a bolt from the blue - at least for me. Time will tell exactly what impact this will have on existing users and potential impact on used prices.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/352852/mitsubishi-confirms-gradual-retreat-uk-and-european-market

This is no surprise to me.
Having led the field in PHEV models for the past 6 years they have failed to develop[ an Outlander BEV
The merger with Nissan etc. was the kiss of death.
Very sad in one way but the Outlander PHEV has convinced many of us that BEV's are the way forward.

Big John
GX3+ M16
Juro M19
/b]

It shouldn't have come as a surprise if you're keeping up to date on global automotive news. Mitsubishi Motors have been in financial trouble for a few years, and despite the Renault/Nissan group being created it's not been quite enough. They announced the end of the Pajero in the EU/Japan market in 2019, and this week the end of it in other markets too. There has been speculation for a while that since Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi are now building cars on a common platform that they would scale back some models in some markets so they're not directly competing with effectively the same car with a different badge.

So as a result, Mitsubishi parts and servicing will continue as normal in UK/EU, as well as sales of existing models. Nissan are reducing sales in some areas too but as they have a much larger presence in the USA and EU, we're likely to see some reduction in available new models from them too. Renault haven't announced anything yet, but there are rumours they will agree to reduce models in markets where Mitsubishi or Nissan need them to.

Subaru have pretty much pulled out of UK/EU (only a couple of models for sale) for similar financial reasons. They're concentrating on the USA and Japan, Australia/NZ as their core markets now.

I just feel sorry for all the people at Colt Cars and the dealerships who have worked so hard to make the PHEV a success in the UK. My local dealers in Duxford have been great and the servicing guys are especially good. Such a slap in the face for them. I hope that they pick up another franchise to compensate. Preferably with a great BEV line-up for the future.

The dealership where I bought my PHEV (in Oxford) changed over to Kia a few years ago. They still provide servicing.

Mitsubishi Motors are not 'pulling out of Europe/UK' - they're just not getting type approval for new models (which means they can't be sold through dealerships). Most dealerships should carry on as normal. There's no change to sales of existing models (until they stop making them), or to parts and servicing. Many automotive companies have reduced sales in certain markets at times over the years, and often they resume once the financial situation improves.

If you want a MY22 Outlander PHEV there's nothing to stop you buying one in Japan and personally importing it, doing the usual conversions (speedo to mph, rear foglight if it doesn't have one etc) that people have been doing with imported cars for decades. I've owned several Japanese import cars that weren't available in the UK and had no problems with parts and servicing (other than garages saying things like 'why didn't we get a twin turbo version of the Legacy here?').

Back