Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loud vibration/wind noise, driver's side roof
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm 

Love the new (to me) PHEV, but a bit frustrated by some rattle from somewhere above the driver's head on the right side at speed, especially with a cross wind. A quick google has suggested an issue with the mirror, but after a deliberate run out this evening in blustery conditions I'm pretty sure it's higher/further back than that. Driving back was no issue as the wind was obviously in the other direction! But noticed it a bit on a motorway at the weekend even with relatively little cross wind.

I've inspected all the rubber door trim - looks fine. I've (very scientifically) shoved a rag into the roof cavity via the sun room, but it was only small... my best guess is still a loose wire or something inside, and I might try cutting out a bigger block of foam to cram down and see if that works.

Any other ideas...? I've noticed a few wind noise complaints online but taking it out this evening I was actually pretty pleased with the overall level of noise... apart from this rattle!

Post subject: Re: Loud vibration/wind noise, driver's side roof
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 pm 

Are you absolutely sure it's wind related, and where you think it is? I ask, because I spent ages trying to track down an annoying rattle which I thought was coming from the front passenger door, only to find (with the aid of a friend crawling around the interior) it was the centre seat belt buckle stowed in the roof receptacle.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 am 

You could try checking the front roof rail cover on the drivers side.
The clip holding this in place seems to have broken on mine and the wind gets underneath it causing noise.
I placed a piece of black type on it to hold it down and that seems to have cured the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 am 

Farlsborough wrote:
Love the new (to me) PHEV, but a bit frustrated by some rattle from somewhere above the driver's head on the right side at speed, especially with a cross wind. A quick google has suggested an issue with the mirror, but after a deliberate run out this evening in blustery conditions I'm pretty sure it's higher/further back than that. Driving back was no issue as the wind was obviously in the other direction! But noticed it a bit on a motorway at the weekend even with relatively little cross wind.

I've inspected all the rubber door trim - looks fine. I've (very scientifically) shoved a rag into the roof cavity via the sun room, but it was only small... my best guess is still a loose wire or something inside, and I might try cutting out a bigger block of foam to cram down and see if that works.

Any other ideas...? I've noticed a few wind noise complaints online but taking it out this evening I was actually pretty pleased with the overall level of noise... apart from this rattle!
Isn't this something that comes under the seller's guaranty?

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:37 pm 

I very much doubt it - the warranty is pretty good/comprehensive as far as mechanical failure goes, but I don't think "there's a noise!" counts as a mechanical failure!

I do feel fairly confident of where it's coming from but I realise at speed, sounds can travel/bounce quite deceptively, so I'll try those two ideas above, thanks.

Regulo, how did you resolve the problem?

It sounds to me like either a wire or the edge of a flap/strap catching the wind, rather than a whistling or leak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:02 pm 

With a bit of low-tech rag!! Just couldn't stop it any other way I tried to locate it in the holder. I'm surprised no-one else has ever mentioned it. Unless I was stowing it wrong?

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:14 am 

:lol:

So, I've only gone and done it! :o :mrgreen: With a bit of help from somersetstroller...

I thought that was going to be a long standing battle, the kind of thing that finally tips a man over the edge... but... solved!

I can't see a broken clip as such, but the little bit of laxity/play in the plastic/rubber trim at the front of the roof rail was the issue (see below). Wind obviously getting under it. A bit of unsightly parcel tape confirmed the issue; now I need to bodge together a less ugly solution. I've got some 2mm rubber strip, so I'll probably shim it tight with that.

Thanks all! And to Regulo for that LOL

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:19 am 

Glad you managed to solved the problem.
I used a bit of black electrical tape to secure mine and you hardly notice it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 am 

Mine started making a whistling noise and I resolved it by squirting a bit of black silicone sealant under the strip and putting a heavy book on top for a few hours to push it down while it set. I think it just lifts enough to let the airflow get under and cause the noise, so pushing it down a bit or blocking it with tape or sealant should do the job.

Strange how it always seems to be the driver's side...