Safety system makes phev battery unusable after accident?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avez77

Hi, I have recently read on March 2020 quattroruote, a very famous Italian car magazine, the story of a mercedes gle 500e owner who, after an accident with airbag activation, had a quote to repair the car for Euro 35k of which 27k of parts. The absurd thing is that when they repaired it, the car did not start because the batteries, which were not damaged by the accident were excluded by a safety system which made them totally unusable. The owner had to spend 16k more to get a used battery set. The car value was 48k and the guy spent 51 for repairing. He did but immediately sold the car and bought a diesel one. The magazine interviewed other manufacturers including Honda, Nissan, psa, suzuki, Toyota and Volvo but not Mitsubishi. All interviewed manufacturers said they use similar safety system as Mercedes. Do you know if outlander has this similar and worrying technology?

Never heard that it has - and it is on the road in fair numbers for over seven years - surely there have been such incidents reported in the forums. However, I'm sure there 300 V system and battery will have safety circuits and fuses, but possibly not as final.
Anyway, I would sell such a heavily damaged vehicle immediately and let the insurance eat the cost. Would you like to have a damaged Li-Ion battery under the seat of your pants?

Thanks. I will further investigate. This worries me especially considering the decision of Mitsubishi to leave Europe which might determine a drop in value of used cars and increase in parts costs. Such a pity for such nice cars.

Not sure I believe this story. Here is one on ebay at a fraction of the price https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163897429864?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=163897429864&targetid=4585307089523139&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398226941&mkgroupid=1307319560325275&rlsatarget=pla-4585307089523139&abcId=2145997&merchantid=87779&msclkid=8ad76cea922f1542391e33c940dedb1c

Sounds as though he was being greedy - having been left with an insurance write-off but wanted the payout as well as the value of the car and got ripped off. :lol:

I'm getting bored of typing this on here and on other PHEV forums/FB groups.

MITSUBISHI ARE NOT LEAVING EUROPE.

They are simply not seeking EU/UK type approval for new models, so they won't be for sale. All existing models will remain on sale until they're either not being produced or don't meet emissions or other regulations. Dealerships will remain open and offer the same servicing and parts supply as they currently do.

All it means from an Outlander PHEV perspective is that we will get the new MY21 model, but not the MY22 one. You'll still get parts and servicing exactly the same as you do now. Colt Car Company (the UK importers and franchise controller) as well as various other EU country Mitsubishi agents have made this very clear.

If you desperately wanted one of the models due out in 2022 such as the new Outlander or the ASX PHEV, then there's nothing to stop you buying one in Japan and importing it.

Back