Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new 2.4 PHEV Towing a caravan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:07 am 

I'm towing a 1.000kg Caravan with the 2019 Model 2.4.

Never had any issues. I start in my village in EV and then switch to SAVE, if I just drive on the same sea level.
If I go thru the Alps, I switch to CHARGE instead SAVE.

The goal is, to have always around 50% SOC, which is not possible going from Germany to Italy or Croatia, because of the Alps.
The car is not able to generate enough power to keep the battery at a certain SOC.
So regenerative breaking is a must and needed, therefore I drive only in B5.

Let's take an example: going for Munich to Lake Garda in Italy, I have to cross the "Brenner", which is 1.400m high.
I end up on top with mostly empty Battery (have seen the turtle once). The going all the way down, B5 and CHARGE give me back up to 80% SOC.

When I arrive at the camping spot, I can drive in EV mode.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:45 am 

Well I have just got back from my holiday and have followed the advice you have all given, we have the new 2.4 PHEV and tow a Swift Conqueror 480 1500 kg. The journey was 178.5 miles each way.

On the way down I allowed the battery to deplete to just 5 miles before hitting the charge button, we were surprised we towed 14 miles with 5 miles left, anyway once on we reached the M6 toll Road we hit the charge button, no problems until we hit the payment booths went to pull away up the hill revving engine, press the EV button till up to speed solved that, then charge button, when in towns or at roundabouts junction I used the EV mode, we achieved measure brim to brim 26.7 mpg however as we had heard horror stories of horrendous fuel consumption we had set the speed limiter to 50 mph.

Just came back today with a lot more confidence we found the PHEV towed better at 55 mph as opposed to 50 mph? anyway we towed back at 55 mph and achieved brim to brim 27.3 mpg.

We are absolutely delighted with the Outlander PHEV 2.4, however we did meet 2 Outlander PHEV caravaners with the 2 litre models both were company cars, they had never used the charge button, both were disappointed with the way the Outlander PHEV towed.

Anyway thankyou for your advice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am 

I have found that there is no point in faffing around with odd settings, just get in and drive.
I have a 1490kg caravan and have towed a few times, on local roads I get about 23pmg and on motorways, where I can set a steady speed with the HGV's she does about 27mpg. I get into the car, press the power button, select 'D' then regen , then the stop hold button and just drive. Let the car do it's thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 pm 

Artleknock wrote:
I have found that there is no point in faffing around with odd settings, just get in and drive.
I have a 1490kg caravan and have towed a few times, on local roads I get about 23pmg and on motorways, where I can set a steady speed with the HGV's she does about 27mpg. I get into the car, press the power button, select 'D' then regen , then the stop hold button and just drive. Let the car do it's thing.

Glad to see you ae getting similar fuel consumption 27mpg and it nice to know the PHEV is capable of towing well using the factory settings.