Loud vibration/wind noise, driver's side roof

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farlsborough

Love the new (to me) PHEV, but a bit frustrated by some rattle from somewhere above the driver's head on the right side at speed, especially with a cross wind. A quick google has suggested an issue with the mirror, but after a deliberate run out this evening in blustery conditions I'm pretty sure it's higher/further back than that. Driving back was no issue as the wind was obviously in the other direction! But noticed it a bit on a motorway at the weekend even with relatively little cross wind.

I've inspected all the rubber door trim - looks fine. I've (very scientifically) shoved a rag into the roof cavity via the sun room, but it was only small... my best guess is still a loose wire or something inside, and I might try cutting out a bigger block of foam to cram down and see if that works.

Any other ideas...? I've noticed a few wind noise complaints online but taking it out this evening I was actually pretty pleased with the overall level of noise... apart from this rattle!

Are you absolutely sure it's wind related, and where you think it is? I ask, because I spent ages trying to track down an annoying rattle which I thought was coming from the front passenger door, only to find (with the aid of a friend crawling around the interior) it was the centre seat belt buckle stowed in the roof receptacle.

You could try checking the front roof rail cover on the drivers side.
The clip holding this in place seems to have broken on mine and the wind gets underneath it causing noise.
I placed a piece of black type on it to hold it down and that seems to have cured the problem.

Farlsborough said:
Love the new (to me) PHEV, but a bit frustrated by some rattle from somewhere above the driver's head on the right side at speed, especially with a cross wind. A quick google has suggested an issue with the mirror, but after a deliberate run out this evening in blustery conditions I'm pretty sure it's higher/further back than that. Driving back was no issue as the wind was obviously in the other direction! But noticed it a bit on a motorway at the weekend even with relatively little cross wind.

I've inspected all the rubber door trim - looks fine. I've (very scientifically) shoved a rag into the roof cavity via the sun room, but it was only small... my best guess is still a loose wire or something inside, and I might try cutting out a bigger block of foam to cram down and see if that works.

Any other ideas...? I've noticed a few wind noise complaints online but taking it out this evening I was actually pretty pleased with the overall level of noise... apart from this rattle!
Isn't this something that comes under the seller's guaranty?

I very much doubt it - the warranty is pretty good/comprehensive as far as mechanical failure goes, but I don't think "there's a noise!" counts as a mechanical failure!

I do feel fairly confident of where it's coming from but I realise at speed, sounds can travel/bounce quite deceptively, so I'll try those two ideas above, thanks.

Regulo, how did you resolve the problem?

It sounds to me like either a wire or the edge of a flap/strap catching the wind, rather than a whistling or leak.

With a bit of low-tech rag!! Just couldn't stop it any other way I tried to locate it in the holder. I'm surprised no-one else has ever mentioned it. Unless I was stowing it wrong?

:lol:

So, I've only gone and done it! :eek: :mrgreen: With a bit of help from somersetstroller...

I thought that was going to be a long standing battle, the kind of thing that finally tips a man over the edge... but... solved!

I can't see a broken clip as such, but the little bit of laxity/play in the plastic/rubber trim at the front of the roof rail was the issue (see below). Wind obviously getting under it. A bit of unsightly parcel tape confirmed the issue; now I need to bodge together a less ugly solution. I've got some 2mm rubber strip, so I'll probably shim it tight with that.

Thanks all! And to Regulo for that LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2997 (1).jpg
    IMG_2997 (1).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2996 (1).jpg
    IMG_2996 (1).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 62
Mine started making a whistling noise and I resolved it by squirting a bit of black silicone sealant under the strip and putting a heavy book on top for a few hours to push it down while it set. I think it just lifts enough to let the airflow get under and cause the noise, so pushing it down a bit or blocking it with tape or sealant should do the job.

Strange how it always seems to be the driver's side...

Wow, I too have this noise. Some days it's worse than others (wind?) and only on a journey where my speed is fairly constant and above 50mph. It annoys my wife more than me but she then becomes an irritating passenger by pointing it out to me.

I never thought of door mirror but that can be identified by folding the mirrors in.
The central seat belt is easy to identify now I know about it.
I checked the area where tape has rectified it and the plastic 'clip' under the rail seems to be loose.

So, I now have 3 possible solutions and I thank everyone who posted their findings. I'm sure 1 of them will 'fix' mine and my journies, accompanied by my wife will be less stressful.

UKBoB said:
So, I now have 3 possible solutions and I thank everyone who posted their findings. I'm sure 1 of them will 'fix' mine and my journies, accompanied by my wife will be less stressful.

You obviously haven't been in the car with MY wife then! :lol: :roll:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Back