Outlander PHEV deal too good to be true?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett889

I'm in Australia and the official website lists Outlander PHEvs for ~$52k AUD. On carsales.com.au I see some 2020 models that are "used" but have only 15km on them and are listed for ~$37k by dealers.

When I asked them about the price difference they just said they bought 100 of them and they're listed as used but are new and come with warranty and all.

I'm curious why they'd be discounted so much...

In the UK buying "pre-registered" cars can be a way of avoiding the new car sales tax - particularly if the original "purchase" was as a lease, with somebody in the chain getting a corporation tax benefit. So maybe down under as well :idea: The fact that they seem to have more than just delivery mileage would suggest ex-lease corporate cars.

greendwarf said:
In the UK buying "pre-registered" cars can be a way of avoiding the new car sales tax - particularly if the original "purchase" was as a lease, with somebody in the chain getting a corporation tax benefit. So maybe down under as well :idea: Edited :oops:

So the dealer told me they bought 100 cars 3 months ago when no one was buying cars. Mitsubishi gave them a great deal on them but said they have to sell these new cars as "used" so that they aren't competing with direct new Outlanders.

The dealer didn't confirm, but my theory is that on top of this the new Outlander model is about to be released (I'm sure those on this forum will be more informed about this theory) and they're trying to offload their inventory before that.

Anyway, I bought it! $37,990 AUD drive away for a new (30km) Outlander PHEV ADAS. Picking it up tomorrow :D

Nicely done!

I bought mine under similar circumstances, it had been leased to Mitsubishi for 12 months and had very low usage.

Still happy that I bought mine, and it's been a while now...

:D

Back