DrDetroit

Outdoor charging solution

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:00 am

Hi, due to the layout of my house, i need to charge my PHEV outside. I was thinking to use the charging cable and brick it came with. Im having an outdoor plug installed at the location. I was hoping there was a solution i could purchase that holds/locks the brick unit while allowing the cord to wrap around it like a garden hose.. and even perhaps a holster that the charging gun can sit in, all being weather proof :) Anyone have a solution? :D

richr

Re: Outdoor charging solution

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 am

Cable tidies and wall mount holsters are readily available from places such as Amazon.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GX4H (petrol/electric)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (diesel)
(recently departed - 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn (LPG), 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO))

michael8554

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:10 am

Build a basic slim wood cabinet, with a cable hook, plug holster, and a slot in the door so that the cabinet can be locked while charging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 3H, 20K Miles
Bought June 2019
Rolec 32Amp EVSE
Wiltshire UK

Bloggsy

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am

Hi DrDetroit - I also looked at an outdoor charging system and both of the ideas above were what I originally had planned!

If you look in Amazon, I found several lockable metal boxes (you could also adapt metal post / mail boxes) which you could screw to the wall.

However, I found my charging cable could stretch from underneath the garage door, to the car, so ended up plugging my brick into a socket in my garage and I cut a small gap in the door frame to accommodate my cable so allowing me to close the door with the cable running outside.

I also screwed a 'double hook' (a jacket / coat hook) onto the inside wall which holds the charger 'gun' when it's not plugged into my car.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bloggsy
2015 GX4h in Black
Living in Scotland

Jojoxx

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:18 am

I bought a second hand gas metre box and placed it over the outdoor socket -- painted it black to smarten it up and bingo !!

aucklander

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 pm

I had this problem to solve no garage but two EVs- we have a Phev and also a leaf - so had two cables outside that needed to be on at night when charging is cheap. We also needed bike storage - so I built a shed with inbuilt charging portals. It works quite well - has retractable and non-stealable cables housed inside the two ports.

It's working pretty well so far and I love that it feels like we have our own personal fuel station!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twosout

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:58 am

The 'brick' should not dangle on its cord, so needs to be supported somehow. You could strap it to a wall in a way that is difficult to remove.
Plan 'B' would be to use a padlock around the cable to fix it to a cleat on a wall. That way it'd be easier to take the 'brick' with you.
I've not bothered and no-one's nicked mine. They may be pricey but not much good to anyone without a PHEV.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”