Slight squeal from rear

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMiller

I hear a slight squealing coming from behind me on corners (not fast enough for it to be the tyres :D ). I'll get it looked into at the next service in a month or so, but has anyone else experienced this? My (complete mechanical ignoramus) thought was disc brake binding or maybe a wheel bearing could be going.

Maybe suspension - springs or dampers?

Either way, it doesn't sound too bad and I'm sure they'll sort it on your service. :D

Bloggsy

Thanks Bloggsy, you may well be right. I don't hear the squeal when going over bumps and potholes (too plentiful on Bucks roads to be completely avoided) - though it could be masked by the general 'thump' they cause. Fingers crossed for the next service :)

You don't say what model year, but rear caliper seizure is common even after a so called countermeasure in early 2016. If it is that, try and get a decent goodwill replacement - good luck.

I seem to have lost my 'signature' which gave the model details, but it's a 2016 'face lift' bought in Dec 2015. So still covered by the 5-year warranty.

ChrisMiller said:
I seem to have lost my 'signature' which gave the model details, but it's a 2016 'face lift' bought in Dec 2015. So still covered by the 5-year warranty.

ChrisMiller said:
My mistake, the signature is there, just in small grey print.

My mistake, I see it now. Yes it's covered by warranty and you'll probably find that yours was built before the caliper modification so you should be able to get a warranty replacement. That's certainly what I would be pushing for.

I have a slightly later 2016 which was after the modification so they would not do it under warranty. A goodwill offer was made to replace it, but at a significantly higher cost than me just buying a replacement caliper and changing it myself (like 3x as much). I'm still not impressed with that and will never buy another Mitsubishi in the future because of the way known, cheap rubbish French car parts are used and not warranted properly.

How do you link "cheap rubbish" to "French"? Rather insulting and xenophobic, wouldn't you say?
On a sidenote, my dealer complains about these cars, because they virtually never break down, leaving him with just maintenance and low repair demand.

Most of my dealer income seems to come from my repeatedly driving into things :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaapv said:
How do you link "cheap rubbish" to "French"? Rather insulting and xenophobic, wouldn't you say?

By being a professional engineer in the automotive business at a Tier 1 supplier for 12 years. Not xenophobic, possibly insulting, but factual.

Can you say that the brake calipers used on the Outlander which are shared by the PSA group are anything other than cheap rubbish? They're hardly Brembo are they?

So when there is British rubbish on the market, British products are by definition crap? Yes, it is xenophobic linking the low quality of a product to a nationality.

He actually wrote "known, cheap rubbish French car parts" i.e. NOT any or all French car parts and later explained that "known" = PSA. I agree the nationality is irrelevant (especially as they are probably made in China) but hardly Xenophobic - "hated or fear of foreigners" but possibly jingoistic - "aggressively nationalistic".

But then I'm with "The Pub Landlord" on this - a French girlfriend is the dream of any true blooded Englishman :lol:

Back