yvrPHEV

Lift Kit installed

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 am

First off - thanks to BCBackRoader for taking the risk of trying the kit and sharing his experience with me. This was helpful!

I bought the first kit off ebay from "Rising Tuning", however it was lost in the mail and never arrived after 4 months.
I re-ordered a different kit from Tema4x4 which arrived promptly in 3 weeks. Both kits were from Russia.

They have 2 models, one is made from hard PolyUrethane, the other "polymer" coated steel. I bought the steel ones. I'm concerned about rust as we salt our roads here in BC Canada, so I re-sprayed them with a couple layers of additional paint on top of the paint that was there.. some of the original coating was damaged in shipping.

Quick take on the install (done by a local shop here in BC) - the front camber kit is definitely needed if you want negative camber up front (recommended) and I have to order the rear SPC 67455 camber kit for the back as we could not get it negative on the rear.

Post install ride quality is like OEM. Very happy with the results. I did not measure the before/after ground clearance though, but I'll try to get out and measure it soon after it's settled (does it settle LoL?) and provide results.

Wheels are Mitsubishi OEM BBS from the Evo X MR (18 x 8.5, 18.5lbs forged ultra light!) and Tires are 235/60/18 G015 (again thanks BCBackRoader for your tire research and feedback).

DibbyDibbyDJ

Re: Lift Kit installed

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:52 pm

You do realize the off road capabilities of the PHEV are zero?

It has All wheel drive, not 4 wheel drive. And if you get into a situation where you have a wheel spinning the likely outcome will be loss of drive due to motor protection cutting in.

And any damage to the battery compartment is likely to be expensive.
2018 Triton

yvrPHEV

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Of course, it's not a rock crawling, diff locking, mud, sand, and river crossing monster, but I've used it in deep snow, ice, and dozens of forest service roads here in BC's back country and it's been a great soft-roader. I'm coming from a line of Subaru's including a Forester, WRX, and 2015 STI, and our family also includes a RAM 1500. The PHEV has plenty of grip for the conditions we've put it through. You just have to know its limits.

The lift was just to keep clearance for the battery and make sure we can cross the ditches. Works great for this purpose. The battery is reinforced well enough for road kick-ups and small rocks.

drive the conditions, know your limits, and it's a rewarding vehicle.

BCbackroader

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 am

Hey, yvrPHEV, I'm glad you got it done. Mine is still doing well, though I have pushed the limits a few times, one of which cost me a 10km hike to get cel service for a rescue. I got crossed up over an angled trench, with 1 front wheel and the opposite rear wheel suspended. The rear was on the edge of a deep ditch, so no backing up, and no traction to go forward. It only took a short easy pull from a Toyota Tacoma to get me on to solid footing again, but my legs ached for a few days from the logging road hike! (i'm 75, and don't hike much any more)

I've since purchased a Garmin Inreach, some traction boards, and a come-along.

yvrPHEV

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing! Yes I have a come-a-long as well just in case, but normally we are a 2 vehicle group. With the front-country campsites all busy this year, the added accessibility to the back country sites has been a welcome change.

Happy PHEV'ing!

DENVERCOPHEV

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Looks great and I am thinking of doing the same. I have ordered the kit and will likely install with new winter tires (also 235/60 R18s). Have you noticed a drop in EV range/MPGs? How about the impact on the speedometer reading? The lightest winter tires I could find at 235/60 R18 weigh 28 pounds vs. the stock tires which weigh only 23 pounds. Since I am driving on the highway mostly at speeds over 60mph, I’m hoping the increased diameter will offset the weight and return a similar range/mpgs.
Last edited by DENVERCOPHEV on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fjpod

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:52 pm
You do realize the off road capabilities of the PHEV are zero?

It has All wheel drive, not 4 wheel drive. And if you get into a situation where you have a wheel spinning the likely outcome will be loss of drive due to motor protection cutting in.

And any damage to the battery compartment is likely to be expensive.
My 2020 has a 4 wheel lock button. You can switch from awd and 4wd. Haven't tried it yet. Don't know if you have to stop the car....
Previous prius and imiev owner.

ThudnBlundr

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 am

There is no physical connection between the front and rear axles. The 4WD drive button simply activates electronics to force the two electric motors to deliver the same power/torque to both motors to emulate a diff lock. Then it is up to the electronics again to attempt to stop wheels spinning. The success of this approach seems to vary across model years...
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

jcolvin

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:27 pm

After reading this, I bought the 40 mm kit from rising and it doesn't fit. Passenger side CV interferes with the control arm. So it looks like i have a lift kit i can't use. probably 30 mm is as high as you can go.

Reuben10

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:42 am

yvrPHEV wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 am
First off - thanks to BCBackRoader for taking the risk of trying the kit and sharing his experience with me. This was helpful!

I bought the first kit off ebay from "Rising Tuning", however it was lost in the mail and never arrived after 4 months.
I re-ordered a different kit from Tema4x4 which arrived promptly in 3 weeks. Both kits were from Russia.

They have 2 models, one is made from hard PolyUrethane, the other "polymer" coated steel. I bought the steel ones. I'm concerned about rust as we salt our roads here in BC Canada, so I re-sprayed them with a couple layers of additional paint on top of the paint that was there.. some of the original coating was damaged in shipping.

Quick take on the install (done by a local shop here in BC) - the front camber kit is definitely needed if you want negative camber up front (recommended) and I have to order the rear SPC 67455 camber kit for the back as we could not get it negative on the rear.

Post install ride quality is like OEM. Very happy with the results. I did not measure the before/after ground clearance though, but I'll try to get out and measure it soon after it's settled (does it settle LoL?) and provide results.

Wheels are Mitsubishi OEM BBS from the Evo X MR (18 x 8.5, 18.5lbs forged ultra light!) and Tires are 235/60/18 G015 (again thanks BCBackRoader for your tire research and feedback).

How many inches/mm does that lift kit add to the car?

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”