ThudnBlundr

Re: Maintaining SOC while towing a caravan / under heavy load

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:43 am

I've been away, so apologies for not replying sooner.

The point I was making about high power and a small battery was that using EV-only when pulling a heavy load might be bad for the batteries, as high power draw is a contributory factor to battery degradation. Though it might sound more frantic and be less pleasant, having the ICE running when pulling away can reduce the power drawn directly from the battery and thus help to preserve it. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to quantify, so it's difficult to say if it would cause problems in years or decades...

The only times I've had the rubber smell is when climbing a long steep hill after not doing a long trip for a while. I guess that gentle usage allows the road grime to build up, and the silencer (muffler) gets hotter than usual when the ICE has been running hard for a while.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

oscarmax

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 am

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:43 am
I've been away, so apologies for not replying sooner.

The point I was making about high power and a small battery was that using EV-only when pulling a heavy load might be bad for the batteries, as high power draw is a contributory factor to battery degradation. Though it might sound more frantic and be less pleasant, having the ICE running when pulling away can reduce the power drawn directly from the battery and thus help to preserve it. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to quantify, so it's difficult to say if it would cause problems in years or decades...

The only times I've had the rubber smell is when climbing a long steep hill after not doing a long trip for a while. I guess that gentle usage allows the road grime to build up, and the silencer (muffler) gets hotter than usual when the ICE has been running hard for a while.
When I have been stating selecting EV mode to pull away, I should have stated I switch off the Charge Mode, basically the PHEV is in D mode.

We have just returned from towing the caravan, we are no longer getting the burning smell the the engine is pulling away underload,(this only happened when the PHEV had 300 miles on the clock)

When pulling away from in D mode junctions or roundabout because we always have a good charge in the batteries the PHEV choses EV, I have noticed now I am getting a bit more experience if I press the accelerator hard the ICE will kick in, but does not seem to accelerate any quicker, so I have abandon that method and just ease the accelerator, once up to about 30mph I use the charge mode.

On the return journey I thought I would try a different method, after about 3 miles because it was cold and I needed the heater we use the Charge Mode and heating at 22 degrees, because we virtually had a full battery the PHEV would switch between EV and ICE when travelling at 30mph.

We also found that towing at 30mph in Charge Mode made little or no difference in our fuel consumption.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

ThudnBlundr

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:50 am

That makes sense. In 'normal' driving, the ICE kicks in if the power needle goes beyond the vertical (-ish) or if you press the accelerator down quickly. People do seem to get quite adept at keeping the power low enough not to force the ICE to start. I try to keep the ICE off as much as possible on shorter journeys as I find that much more pleasant.

But the only 'right' way to drive the PHEV is what works best for you
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

Return to “Technical Discussions”