Heater not working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin089

For a while now my heater will warm up the car for the first 20 minutes or so, then just cool air come through thereafter.

The dealer has had a look at the issue but to no avail.

Does anyone have a similar problem??

I do seem to have a similar issue with my 2018 Canadian model. I bought it used earlier this week. I think it has some correlation to when the ICE heater kicks in, at least in my case. Blows ice cold air while the ICE is running, then warms up when back to EV. Did you ever get your problem resolved?

Marvin089 said:
For a while now my heater will warm up the car for the first 20 minutes or so, then just cool air come through thereafter.

Hi.

Had my 65 plate GX4h for about 2 weeks now and I'm experiencing the exact same problem It's driving me nuts. Warms up for about 15-20 mins then goes cool. Even with the heating controls set at 28 degrees, I've measured the air temperature from the vents at 17/18 degrees. Seems to be when the electrical heater has turned off and it switches to ICE.

Has anyone resolved this?

Are you using ECO mode? I found that in ECO mode, my 2018 PHEV (Canadian version) exhibits the similar heating issue.

vluong0403 said:
Are you using ECO mode? I found that in ECO mode, my 2018 PHEV (Canadian version) exhibits the similar heating issue.

Hi vluong. Thank you for your reply.

No, I'm using comfort mode. I had a similar thought and switched to comfort mode. Again this morning, after about 20 mins, the electric heater switched off and it went cool when on ICE heating. I actually found the cabin warmer if I turned the heater panel off.

Coming from a Ford vehicle where the heater would make you sweat, I'm a little disappointed to be honest.

May have to look at taking it to Mitsubishi and ask them to take a look.

In my case, after taking mine in to the dealership for the 3rd time they found a crushed coolant line. 2018 Canadian model. I would check to make sure you don't have any kinks or take it in to get it looked at. The coolant lines that were crushed on mine were under the vehicle (not very protected), we figure it was done by a improperly placed hoist before I purchased it. They replaced the pipe and it heats great now. I also came from a "sweaty ford" and live in Winnipeg, Canada FWIW.

On the UK PHEV Facebook group there's been a discussion recently about a filter inside a coolant pipe that can get clogged, leading to a lack of heating. It's a relatively easy job to clamp the coolant hoses, remove the filter and clean it, then refit.

I've been having the opposite heating issue.

preheating the cabin works fine.

After drive with EV only it doesnt get hot. If I have it on auto and high(32 degrees) Ill get heat after 4-5 mins after turning the car on. But turns off suddenly after 2-3 mins. After that it doesnt blow any hot air. If I max the fan and max heat. It will blow out cold to warmish air. If I turn the engine on the ICE heater works great. Also running comfort mode and not ECO.

Anyone have any suggesting?

I checked with the dealer and they don't have a clue. Wanted me to leave the car for a week or so for them to look into it.

Have a 2019 and have been driving it for one month in Canada. It seems impossible to get the car warm even when set to 24 or 25 degrees. Have to use the seat warmers, and it is not even cold outside - around 6 degrees Celsius. This seems to be a problem with this PHEV car.

I've been driving in the recent cold snap here, with temps in the -5 to -10C range for the last week, and the heater has worked very well in my '18 PHEV. It's usually blowing warm air within 5 min. of start up.

Marvin089 said:

hi, i have the same problem. how did you solve the problem??

Thank you!

Not really solved it after a year of driving (just going into 2nd winter in Canada.) The heating is inadequate, and after a while the air coming in does not seem to be heated at all.

We used to have a Chrysler T and C where we set the temp to 22 degrees and it was perfect.

On our 2020 model we found that the heater was ineffective when set to 24 degrees. When set at 25-26 degrees it was more than sufficient. Previous vehicle Nissan Qashqai normally set at 20-22 degrees. I just put it down to sensitivity/accuracy of sensor/electronics.If you cannot get any heat no matter the setting it would suggest a trip to a dealer/autoelectrician.

It's very strange to me because a minute after I start the engine starts to heat up, sometimes it even takes out hot air but not more than 15-20 minutes, then only blows cold air.
I put a tester on the car and noticed one thing, the temperature of the sensor inside (ambient) is the same as the temperature of the intake sensor.
View attachment Temp ambinet.jpg

ok, then does it mean that in the first phase my heat from the heat engine blows and then switch to electric heating?

Update:
I started heating the car from the phone and the temperature got up from 17 degrees to 23 in less than 2 minutes. So the electric heater is functional.
What is the reason that after a short period of time only cold air blows?

Back