AndyInOz

Re: Burning smell, loss if battery, return car?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:17 am

I'm one of the people that was caught by a previous owner's (or dealers fiddling) heating schedule.

However once fixed it is no longer a problem.

From my usage, the battery holds its charge very well when the car is just sitting unused, even after several days, the battery level hasn't decreased much, so if you manage to eliminate things like timers, there is definitely something to investigate going on.

My strangest experience with this stuff was driving to work on a cold morning... when I arrived, I had 10 km range showing on the guessometer, at the end of the day when I got in to the car, it was showing 18 km range!

My first thought was that someone had sneakily charged my car (as if!) but then realised that it was much warmer at 4pm than it was at 5am...

Happy Phevving!
2014 PHEV Aspire, Arctic Silver;
Black Interior;
Hayman Reese removable tow bar;
1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

littlescrote

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 am

Definitely looks like a heating/demist/cooling timer. Even if you do not see it in the display, it can be there in the background and visible on the App. Probably your best bet is to follow the procedure to reset the WiFi module as you'll probably want to do that anyway to register your phone and unregister previous ones, and in doing so you will erase all timers.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/pr ... ation.html

Mo1820

Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 am

Thank you everyone! So recently I realised that even though I thought the heater/air con was off it was in fact on. (I hadn't pressed the 'off' button!) When I did press the off button the range shot up from 18 to 22 miles! I also read lots more of the owners' manual and found out how to find the timer on the MMCS. Lo and behold when I looked at the timer for the heater someone had set it to come on at 7am every morning! I guess that means it would have been draining the battery overnight? Indeed after I turned all the timers off the range read the same the next day and didn't drop miles - yeay! Not sure how the timer was working when the car was turned off though?
Sadly we felt we had to return the car to the dealers because it didn't have a full service history and I was concerned about that - I'm going to post this as a separate topic where I'd also value your helpful knowledge. Thank you again for your great insight!

AndyInOz

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Yeahp, you were caught in exactly the same way as me.

That's actually the function of the timers, you can set the car to pre-heat or pre-cool at any time of day you like.

So that you return to a warm or cool car as you see fit.

In my case the car was set to Heat up at 7 pm every night, and again at 6am each morning, so I was getting a double whammy.

I only worked this out by fluke, I went out to put something in the car in the evening, and it was incredibly hot inside.

That put me on the path to finding the problem.

Like you, I had thought there was something wrong with the battery.

I wrote it all up here, I wonder if I can find it again...
Black Interior;

AndyInOz

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:08 pm

And... Here it is in all its glory:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1819
Black Interior;

Return to “Buying the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV”