EssexBoy

Front shock dust cover bellows shredded

Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:49 am

My rubber shock absorber dust covers are shredded. Has anyone any experiences of replacing them ? The job should be straightforward for a DIY mechanic but before going there I want to see if there are any likely surprises which will make me regret starting the job.
Are there any special gotchas (apart from Mitsubishi's price for replacement parts that is)?

littlescrote

Re: Front shock dust cover bellows shredded

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 am

Standard. "They all do that Sir". I personally wouldn't bother as the new ones will only go the same way in a short space of time.

If I did, I'd probably slice them along their length and slide them on and superglue back together rather than go to the hassle of removing top mount etc.

EssexBoy

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks Littlescrote, I have a bunch of other rubber to replace under there - track rod ends and lower ball joints. I wouldn't dream of paying Misu prices (parts and certainly not labour) so I am hopeful an after-market product will be better at almost half the price - I will report back here. Your supergluing approach seems like a very pragmatic tactic and will save a bunch of effort.
I wouldn't mind if I had been thrashing the 4x4 on green roads or something but shredded rubber after 60K miles on the school run seems like very poor quality to me. Disappointed.

BCbackroader

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:26 pm

If you're only at 60K miles, those parts, and the labour, should still be covered under Mitsu's warranty, at least here in Canada, where the coverage is 10 years/160,00km.

EssexBoy

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:49 am

5 years and 100K km here. Then there's the warranty coverage Ts&Cs. Like most insurance here it excludes pretty much anything that might actually happen. Large consumer facing companies don't call the UK 'Treasure Island' for nothing.

BCbackroader

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm

The dealers here are very good about warranty issues, and the Mitsu coverage on mine is bumper to bumper, excluding tires, brakes, and hoses. When a headlight bulb died, I just drove to the dealer, told them it was out, and left about an hour later with it fixed, no charge.

Return to “Technical Discussions”