Heat

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjpod

Us model, 2020

Looking if anyone can provide technical information about heat usage, most economical way.

I find using the traction battery to heat the cabin wasteful. I tend to trigger the ICE to heat it up, then lower the heat settings to a minimum.

Does anyone have tips to conserve battery? Does anyone have technical info regarding when the car switches from battery heating to engine coolant and vice versa? Is there a certain engine coolant temperature that allows engine hearing vs battery?

Embrace the Spartan pleasures enjoyed by those of us back here in steerage with our no-electric heater base model PHEVs and don't use any heating :lol: Happy New year

greendwarf said:
Embrace the Spartan pleasures enjoyed by those of us back here in steerage with our no-electric heater base model PHEVs and don't use any heating :lol: Happy New year
I hear you...
Sometimes I do the same. I live less than two miles from work. It really doesn't even pay to turn it on.

So Mitsubishi added a whole new heating system to higher-spec models to avoid firing the ICE, and you think it's 'wasteful'! What is wasteful is firing up the ICE solely to provide heat, running a 30% efficient heat engine. Why not add a coal brazier?

ThudnBlundr said:
So Mitsubishi added a whole new heating system to higher-spec models to avoid firing the ICE, and you think it's 'wasteful'! What is wasteful is firing up the ICE solely to provide heat, running a 30% efficient heat engine. Why not add a coal brazier?

Is it a resistance heater or a heat pump?

Fjpod said:
ThudnBlundr said:

Is it a resistance heater or a heat pump?
Resistance, heater warming the cooling fluid.
Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater for the battery, resistance as well.

So, the more I read about the heat, it seems heat from the ICE is never directly used to heat the cabin. I'd this correct? Can someone explain this a bit better?

If the coolant is warm or the computers think it is too cold, the ICE will be used to provide heat from the coolant. Some models have no electric heating, so their heat can only come from the ICE.

Fjpod said:
So, the more I read about the heat, it seems heat from the ICE is never directly used to heat the cabin. I'd this correct? Can someone explain this a bit better?
Quite the opposite. If the engine is warm the heat from it is always used to heat the cabin.

If you only live a couple miles from work, I would never use the ICE if you can help it. When using heat, you might cut the range on EV to only half of what it is in warm weather, but that will still be sufficient to get you home and back.

I find if you don't push the EV buttom immediately upon pushing power, my ICE will start even though the car is displaying EV mode.

In my 2020 us model, my ice never starts even in cold weather unless i turn the heat on, or maybe if the SOC isVery low.

If it's not too cold out, I can put the heat on low and the engine will not start.

But what I can't seem to figure is when the ice warms up, I don't get an indication that the ev range improves. I get the feeling it is still using the traction battery to provide heat.

Does engine coolant run directly through the cabin heater, or does the electric heater heat a separate coolant that does the job?

Fjpod said:
In my 2020 us model, my ice never starts even in cold weather unless i turn the heat on, or maybe if the SOC isVery low.

If it's not too cold out, I can put the heat on low and the engine will not start.

But what I can't seem to figure is when the ice warms up, I don't get an indication that the ev range improves. I get the feeling it is still using the traction battery to provide heat.

Does engine coolant run directly through the cabin heater, or does the electric heater heat a separate coolant that does the job?
Bump

Fjpod said:

The ICE and electric heater are connected in one common loop divided by 4-way valve. Once the ICE reach higher predetermined by the valve temperature the engine side of the loop is connected to the cabin side of the loop.
Is and when the electric heater stop working is the question that I'm wondering as well.

kpetrov said:
Fjpod said:

The ICE and electric heater are connected in one common loop divided by 4-way valve. Once the ICE reach higher predetermined by the valve temperature the engine side of the loop is connected to the cabin side of the loop.
Is and when the electric heater stop working is the question that I'm wondering as well.
Based on the guess O meter, I would guess that the electric heater continues. I also monitor ice temperature with a scan gauge and it does not seem to drop quickly enough when I am running heat and the ICE is off.

I suspect engine coolant does not run directly into the cabin heater. Is it possible that it warms a separate cabin heating loop in conjunction with the electric heater?

Yesterday we defrosted the PHEV remotely for 20 minutes, this morning checked the PodPoint APP 1.7kW

ThudnBlundr said:
That's strange. I would have expected it to take the max power of the full 3.6kW; unless of course the battery was nearly full.

At the start my battery was full, I set the remote to defrost for 20 minutes, I charged up over night using my PodPoint EV, app recorded 1.7kW to charge up to full.

do you mean 1.7 kWh? In which case if it were heating for 20 mins that would be at a power of (60/20) * 1.7 = 5.1 kW

Back