Spare Tire Kit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkane

I came across this spare tire kit which claims it fits the PHEV: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mitsubishi-OE-2020-Outlander-PHEV-Spare-Tire-Kit-/383376074464

Anyone have experience with this? It seems like it goes in the space where the battery lives, but I remain intrigued. The lack of a spare is one of the big drawbacks of the Outlander PHEV.

Hmm, looks very dodgy to me! Unlikely to be "genuine" otherwise we would have heard of it before. Illustration poor quality and unreadable. Why is tyre not attached to rim? Is it a "space saver" or full size? If full size, why not sell just hanger kit - cheaper to ship!

But is it really necessary? In 6.5 years with my PHEV I have had more punctures than in previous 50 years of driving but only once needed a tow truck, which cost me £114 - makes this kit a very expensive comfort blanket. :roll:

I agree but it does take up a lot of space.

However, a cautionary tale regarding underfloor spares. My father had his stolen from a commuter car park and although the theif was caught, the wheel had to be kept by the police for several months as evidence, leaving my father in a state of anxiety meanwhile. This was in the old days of tubed tyres when a puncture meant instant imobility - whereas my recent experiences have been mainly slow leaks due to embedded nails etc. :oops:

Not having a spare wheel is so alien to me, maybe it is just my age group plus we tow a caravan.

I had one on my aging pickup truck. One day I did have a flat and went to change the tire. Of course, the weather was really crappy and I wasn't dressed for it :) But, once I found the jack, etc. I started to remove the tire ... the mechanism was rusted to badly that no amount of elbow grease or cursing would free it. Ended up having the truck towed and the spare mechanism cut out with an angle grinder. The spare is now lying (dangerously) in the truck bed.

Admit I have not suffered a puncture that needed the wheel changing on a journey — certainly since 1998 and almost definitely longer — though I have always carried one, so its lack is worrying.
Luckily I have a set of winter tyre shod wheels, so I always carry a spare in the back. But it does take up space.
An under-body rack for a full-size spare would be useful. The one mentioned in the opening post seems strange, plus it's expensive to ship to the UK. I see there are space-saver spares available, but they will still take up space in the back, and I don't know if they'd cause problems if used on a driving axle.
To be honest, I've not checked under the vehicle if there's clearance, space or suitable fixing points — that's probably the first job...

nkane said:
I came across this spare tire kit which claims it fits the PHEV: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mitsubishi-OE-2020-Outlander-PHEV-Spare-Tire-Kit-/383376074464

Anyone have experience with this? It seems like it goes in the space where the battery lives, but I remain intrigued. The lack of a spare is one of the big drawbacks of the Outlander PHEV.

This item is out of stock.

Spacesaver tyres are designed to be the same rolling radius as the tyre that they replace even though they're a totally different size, so they shouldn't cause any severe issues. But seeing how some people's cars complain when fitting regular-sized tyres, it might flag up an error

@ jaapv

One vendor says: Suitable for MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER with 16″, 17″, 18″, 19″ factory fitted wheels. This seems unlikely.

Another offers for a 225/55R18 original, a Space saver option of 165/80R17, which it says is a + 1.1% difference.
Overall diameter for the 165/80R17 = 27.4” INCHES. Width of the tyre = 6.5” INCHES

It also says:
The space saver spare wheel kit is designed to fit as close as possible to your original size tyres, aiming to keep the rolling diameter as close a match to your existing size. The difference can be up to 3% bigger or smaller, this is totally acceptable and please always remember this is only meant to be a temporary solution to enable you to get to a garage and not be stranded!

Anyone tried anything like this?

Why would that seem unlikely? When changing wheel sizes, the manufacturer tries to keep the rolling radius the same, altering the width and profile of the various tyres so that they are close. A spacesaver is just a more extreme version of that. The only issue might be if the brake callipers are changed when fitting larger wheels, so that the smaller spacesaver won't physically fit over them: but they don't seem to have done that on the PHEV.

I had to fit a spacesaver on my Jeep many years ago - not too happy as it was the front tyre. But it was only a short trip through London to the tyre place, so a slow, careful drive wasn't a problem.

Thanks TB

The observation and reservation was about the first seller implying one size would be suitable for all rim sizes from 16" to 19" — though they might ask for what tyre size it was meant to replace, and fit the appropriate tyre.

The second option explains what it offers for each tyre and how small any difference would is, so I'd be happier with that — and your actual real life experience helps.

Many thanks

Hi Oscarmax,
I wonder if you got the spare one with exactly similar rim and tire or just some random rim with similar tire size ? Any chance to use it yet ? Thanks for your help.

nkane said:

Detailed description reads “EXCEPT PHEV”

inq255 said:
Hi Oscarmax,
I wonder if you got the spare one with exactly similar rim and tire or just some random rim with similar tire size ? Any chance to use it yet ? Thanks for your help.

Genuine Mitsubishi and exactly the same size, the downside being the spare wheel is of a 2017/18 model so of a different design to our 2020 model, all in a new tyre and balancing under £100.

We brought a tyre storage bag of eBay and some straps of Screwfix, it is securely strapped in being the passenger seat, there is only the 2 of us no one ever sits in the back seats, fortunately we have not had to use it.

Back