ThudnBlundr

Re: Spare Tire Kit

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 am

Spacesaver tyres are designed to be the same rolling radius as the tyre that they replace even though they're a totally different size, so they shouldn't cause any severe issues. But seeing how some people's cars complain when fitting regular-sized tyres, it might flag up an error
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

malbut

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:50 pm

@ jaapv

One vendor says: Suitable for MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER with 16″, 17″, 18″, 19″ factory fitted wheels. This seems unlikely.

Another offers for a 225/55R18 original, a Space saver option of 165/80R17, which it says is a + 1.1% difference.
Overall diameter for the 165/80R17 = 27.4” INCHES. Width of the tyre = 6.5” INCHES

It also says:
The space saver spare wheel kit is designed to fit as close as possible to your original size tyres, aiming to keep the rolling diameter as close a match to your existing size. The difference can be up to 3% bigger or smaller, this is totally acceptable and please always remember this is only meant to be a temporary solution to enable you to get to a garage and not be stranded!

Anyone tried anything like this?

ThudnBlundr

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:46 am

Why would that seem unlikely? When changing wheel sizes, the manufacturer tries to keep the rolling radius the same, altering the width and profile of the various tyres so that they are close. A spacesaver is just a more extreme version of that. The only issue might be if the brake callipers are changed when fitting larger wheels, so that the smaller spacesaver won't physically fit over them: but they don't seem to have done that on the PHEV.

I had to fit a spacesaver on my Jeep many years ago - not too happy as it was the front tyre. But it was only a short trip through London to the tyre place, so a slow, careful drive wasn't a problem.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

malbut

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am

Thanks TB

The observation and reservation was about the first seller implying one size would be suitable for all rim sizes from 16" to 19" — though they might ask for what tyre size it was meant to replace, and fit the appropriate tyre.

The second option explains what it offers for each tyre and how small any difference would is, so I'd be happier with that — and your actual real life experience helps.

Many thanks

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”