Cheap car to give driving lessons

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlander

Hi all,
I am looking for a cheap car to teach my wife how to drive. The car should be:

Manual (must have)
Budget is upto £1k
Have 5 seats
Ideally 5 doors but don't mind 2-4 doors
Ulez compliant (don't get me started on that subject)
Low tax bracket (upto £125-ish road tax per year)
Upto 4300mm long (Around Ford Focus/Fiesta size)
Don't mind scratches/dents
Must be good runner with documented service history
Located anywhere in London +15miles-ish

Thanks!

I would never recommend anyone "teach" someone to drive if not in a dual control car as a professional - far too dangerous, unless you live on a large private estate and even then it's still risky. If nothing else, the cost of the car plus insurance etc. is likely to be more than the cost of the lessons.

Once competent, giving them practice in the car they will drive after they get their licence, is a better idea but still expensive if they have difficulty passing the test - and this is from personal experience with a number of family members.

Of course, I'm biased having passed first time after a total of 7 lessons and 13 hours driving time in only the instructor's car! :cool:

For the sake of your sanity; the sake of your relationships with your spouse and/or children; the safety of your fellow citizens ... never teach family members how to drive.

Enough said.

Hi Moonlander

I was in a similar position but car was for daughter, not wife. Had one additional caveat that the car needed a good euro ncap rating, ended up with a short-list of 2 city cars
- SEAT Mii S or SE
- Kia Picanto 1 or 2

checked loads of others like the VW UP! and Toyota Aygo, but they hold their price - possibly worth considering this option if you will resell it after learning to drive.

You will get more for your money if you are prepared to travel. We ended up going to Derby, but it saved us over £500, which was more than the fuel cost there & back for 2 cars

Also note that there are good insurance deals for learner drivers, but new driver insurance is insanely expensive especially if you & the mrs are young

OT, but we used Marmalade for our DDs when they were learners. It just insures a named learner to drive a car that's already insured elsewhere, but it was significantly cheaper when we used it back in 2015-2018

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/

Thanks for the car options AntsCar, am looking at the options you mention but haven't yet looked at Seat Mii yet. Thanks for the other tips too!

Thanks ThudnBlundr - will look into this!

My wife has taken lessons in the past but just needs a refresher and practice with changing gears. (She actually wanted an automatic because she thinks she'll learn and pass sooner. But I persuaded her that if she learns a manual she'll be able to drive auto later).

She can drive but needs practice with shifting gears. Once she's confident she'll take lessons with an instructor and then I'll sell the car afterwards. I did a similar thing 16 years ago - Back then I bought a 1987 Mk2 Ford Fiesta for £200. Practiced in that while taking lessons in a Mk4 Golf. Sold the Fiesta and made my money back :)

So we now know more about why but it still doesn't change my opinion. I did something similar with my late wife - so nervous she drove into another car first time out.

If she is planning to have more lessons when she has got used to gears, this will happen quicker with an instructor. If you plan to sell the car once she has passed, it makes even less sense. You might get your money back on the car but tax & insurance?

greendwarf said:
So we now know more about why but it still doesn't change my opinion. I did something similar with my late wife - so nervous she drove into another car first time out.

If she is planning to have more lessons when she has got used to gears, this will happen quicker with an instructor. If you plan to sell the car once she has passed, it makes even less sense. You might get your money back on the car but tax & insurance?

Sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family.

I’m in two minds about selling the car afterwards. I may decide to keep it but I think it depends a lot on which car I initially buy. So far the fiesta and punto are top of my list and if I can find a bargain then I’ll probably keep it.

The extra cost of tax/insurance is the reason why I’m looking for a low tax rated car, some other cars I’m looking at are £30 per year which would be perfect. The current biggest unknown cost is insurance, obviously she’ll be a named driver. The post above about learner driver insurance is curious and I’m looking into it

Thank you for the sentiment, Moonlander - just to make it clear, I got another 30+ years of useful running out her! The wife that is :lol:

The car was an insurance write-off but I was able to buy a matching wing from a breakers and sell the car, even though the petrol tank leaked if you filled it more than halfway. Came out with an overall profit - even with then girlfriend. Apparently the main reason she thought I "would do" was that, unlike her ex, I didn't get angry about the car. :cool:

So good luck with however you sort this and remember keeping infinite patience from the passenger seat will earn you lasting bonus points. :D

mellobob said:
For the sake of your sanity; the sake of your relationships with your spouse and/or children; the safety of your fellow citizens ... never teach family members how to drive.

Enough said.

Yeah I strongly agree with you

Back