Let's stop ICEheat, when cold...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greendwarf said:
"My Guess-O Meter is changing the range when turning ON and OFF the ventilation even without heating."

Precisely - the electric air con is driven by the traction battery, so turning it on will reduce driving range significantly. It takes a lot of energy to extract moisture from warm air :geek:
Not even the air con. Turning the system on with the fan only is dropping my range with 2km.
Not that I'm paying attention to those things anymore. ;)

kpetrov said:
This is my first winter owning the vehicle and third month driving with ICE control relay pulled out.
The good:
No ICE, full control of the electric heater, defrost and etc. Very happy.
Recently installed an switch to activate-deactivate this really full EV mode.
Now I have an perfect vehicle as it should be. Will post a how to in new topic.

The bad:
Few errors circling on the dash, and no guessometer. The battery level bar is working perfectly though.

Thanks for the ideas, I am wiring a remote switch today. I have tried this approach by both pulling the relay and the Main Eng Fuse, this seems to produce the exact same results. I believe the fuse will allow easier wiring so I'm going that route.
The question I have is whether you have used the remote switch while underway? say if you have prevented the ICE from starting right up to the point the the traction battery is displaying one bar, then while at speed attempted to switch the ICE back online to allow the vehicle to continue on its drive? Or do you pull over and stop before switching on or alternatively off?
Also another down side to this procedure is the it seems that the vehicle MPG calculators stop working.
We live in a rather hilly area and I find that 60KW is barely enough power to ascend some of our inclines and maintain the speed limit, since the procedure I have found my self routinely flooring the accelerator to maintain the speed limit. I am cautions about engaging the ICE during this situation to build power to climb the hills. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mort

The relay is supplying power to all engine fuses F13, F14, F15 and F16.
I think that controlling the low power side of the engine relay is better and more reliable.
Here is the wiring diagram of what I have done.

I have not tried to activate the disabled relay while moving. Was planing to do so before posting complete how to. Will try tonight.
All consumption - range calculators and displays won't work. They wont work even if you activate the relay-engine. I believe some time has to pass until the system realize it's back online and accumulate some data.
If you know will need high power during your ride I don't see a point of disabling the engine on that specific trip. Even the opposite will let the engine warm before high load is needed.
Besides range and consumption gauges not working you will have few more errors.

Update: the ICE can not be started with the remote switch on the go once the vehicle is started with disabled engine. Tried for 5 min. with pressing CHARGE, heating and defrost without success.
The vehicle should be turned off, the relay enabled and vehicle started on again in order to get it in a factory mode.

I will receive the socket today and wire the remote switch to control the relay coil.
Today's Bullshit commute.
Preheated cabin for 30 min.
fully charged battery.
outside temp: 45
EV mode selected.
Eco selected.
HVAC turned all the way to low and turned off.
light throttle applied.
ICE starts at 15MPH with no increase in throttle application.
ICE runs for 10 minutes then shuts off.
ICE starts again on way into parking lot at work, same settings as above.
9 mile 40 MPH commute.
17 miles of electric guessometer range remaining.
No conceivable engineering reason to run the engine.
I will not purchase this vehicle at the end of lease.
Our Tesla is superior in every single regard despite having a similar MSRP.
Come get me Trex, I'm not Trolling I'm just pissed off.

ThudnBlundr said:
What were those stupid Mitsubishi engineers thinking of? Maybe you should apply and teach how a real engineer would do it :roll:
You cant grasp the reality that those stupid Mitsubishi engineers should think of an vehicle: foolproof and universal for every single user while reducing the warranty claims regarding ICE cold starts can you?

This is the reality of hybrids. The ICE should be prepared to meet the vehicle specifications in any time in order to fulfill all the standards and regulations.

It is not about stupid Mitsubishi engineers. They were clever enough to make the systems fully separate and the vehicle can still be used with malfunctioning ICE.

Nobody is asking you to do it.

And to make matters worse you are also at the mercy of those awful Mitsu marketing/stylist people who have lumbered you will a pug-ugly looking car, rather than the clean design (see website banner) we early adopters are lucky to have bought. :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you think I'm driving this car for the way it look like, even if it was the one you early adopters have, you can't be more wrong.
For the way it looks I still have my G35 Coupe.

Now getting cold starts when simply crossing from one side of a parking lot to another in 54° ambient temperatures. Took PHEV into the service department they installed three updates and took care of the seatbelt recall. The next morning the vehicle did not start at 38 but later that day it was back to its usual shenanigans starting with the EV button depressed no climate called for, crossing a parking lot, at 45 to 50° Mitsubishi service says vehicle returns no error codes and they have no idea how to fix the issue. Service center also says they’ve never seen this before. It is as if the EV button does nothing at temperatures below 55° there by resulting in a vehicle that operates exactly like a regular Prius with terrible mileage. I did run with the DIY TV button for a while but when the vehicle would run in normal mode it did not run smoothly so I discontinued the DIY EV button. Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior. As I said the Seattle dealer and service center have not.

The facebook group with similar problems is growing big and strong.
People even with 2020 models are complaining regarding ICE start at ambient temperatures around 15C/60F.
Myself yesterday, I did a long trip at 20C/68F. After the initial ICE warmup on the highway CHARGE-ing the battery with following commute on EV I parked the vehicle for 5 min. Once I put it in ready the ICE fired up. 40% SOC, 20C/68F, warm engine, ridiculous.
Engine kill switch is working flawlessly though. :cool:

kpetrov said:
People even with 2020 models are complaining regarding ICE start at ambient temperatures around 15C/60F.
Myself yesterday, I did a long trip at 20C/68F. After the initial ICE warmup on the highway CHARGE-ing the battery with following commute on EV I parked the vehicle for 5 min. Once I put it in ready the ICE fired up. 40% SOC, 20C/68F, warm engine, ridiculous.

I don't use any sites like Facebook, so cannot really comment.

Our 2020 UK model tend stay in EV unless the temperature is below 8/9 degrees C, if I switch the heating off press EV mode then switch the heating back on to 18/20 degrees C, unless it it below zero degrees outside it will stay in EV mode without the ICE firing up, turn the heating up to 20 degrees plus and the ICE will fire up.

oscarmax said:

Our 2020 UK model tend stay in EV unless the temperature is below 8/9 degrees C, if I switch the heating off press EV mode then switch the heating back on to 18/20 degrees C, unless it it below zero degrees outside it will stay in EV mode without the ICE firing up, turn the heating up to 20 degrees plus and the ICE will fire up.
Same here; Unlike my previous 2013 model, the present one 2019 (German model) behaves exactly like yours.

jaapv said:
oscarmax said:

Same here; Unlike my previous 2013 model, the present one 2019 (German model) behaves exactly like yours.

I have a Norwegian 2017 model with electric heater and I do not experience any of this. The ICE doesn't fire up until below -10. I can set the heater to 29 (not that it changes much compared to 20 - it is heating slower than with ICE). One thing that does trigger ICE is the defroster button. But then I simply don't use it, and instead turn on AC to auto and direct it at windscreen.

It's strange that there are such fundamental differences in behavior between different models. If it's the programming, then I don't envy the developers, who have to manage all the different releases. Maybe it's some sensor fault?

oscarmax said:
kpetrov said:

Tried it this morning 7 degrees C, heater on ICE did not fire up

angainor said:
It's strange that there are such fundamental differences in behavior between different models. If it's the programming, then I don't envy the developers, who have to manage all the different releases. Maybe it's some sensor fault?

I'd say it is not surprising in the least. We are not talking about cars here, but about computers on wheels. I won't bore the forum with the hassle of replacing an Intel-based Mac with a Silicon-based one, but suffice to say that the ICE behaviour is pretty minor in comparison.

We are aware that European models (at least software) is behaving like it should.
That being said does not change the fact that a lot of Canadians are complaining regarding unwanted and unnecessary ICE startups that you guys can easily avoid.

mort said:
Now getting cold starts when simply crossing from one side of a parking lot to another in 54° ambient temperatures. Took PHEV into the service department they installed three updates and took care of the seatbelt recall. The next morning the vehicle did not start at 38 but later that day it was back to its usual shenanigans starting with the EV button depressed no climate called for, crossing a parking lot, at 45 to 50° Mitsubishi service says vehicle returns no error codes and they have no idea how to fix the issue. Service center also says they’ve never seen this before. It is as if the EV button does nothing at temperatures below 55° there by resulting in a vehicle that operates exactly like a regular Prius with terrible mileage. I did run with the DIY TV button for a while but when the vehicle would run in normal mode it did not run smoothly so I discontinued the DIY EV button. Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior. As I said the Seattle dealer and service center have not.
Is it possible that you have burned so little fuel that you car has gone into the automatic fuel burning cycle? Mitsubishi has it programmed where if you don't burn something like 3 or 4 gallons of gasoline during a 3 or 4 month period, it will automatically run the ICE to burn off the fuel to prevent it from getting stale.

This is one of the reasons why, when it gets very cold, I just let the ICE start. It is a better source of heat, and it charges the battery at the same time, and it uses at least some fuel.

No it’s every morning. And this afternoon it was 55 Fahrenheit 13 C ambient. Car parked in the sun, 75 F 21 C inside the cab and in EV mode, no HVAC, 75% SOC, Light throttle, ICE starts at 12 MPH. I immediately pulled over as I was just going to the store 3/4 of a mile, power cycled the vehicle and the ICE re-fired at 12MPH again. This happened again when I left the store and headed home. The cars fucked up, getting worse every season and the technicians can’t fix it. It does not throw codes. I have contacted all three Seattle area service centers none are reporting other vehicles with similar problems. And none of them can fix a problem that does not throw a code. I think it i# a thermistor or an aqua-stat that has drifted they say that would throw a code. I’m so glad this is a lease!

Back