greendwarf

Re: B0 to B5

Well I can only report what happened with a full battery whilst burning off petrol at under 20 mph for several weeks. The slowing effect came as I paddled from B0 (my normal driving choice) through to B5 (my normal "braking" choice).
littlescrote

So your "full battery" was charged by the generator during the driving cycle? In that case, it's not the same fully charged as when put on an external charge where cell balancing occurs. In that case, there would have been a bit of head room for regen charge.
Fjpod

I don't find the paddles very helpful unless you are going down a very long hill and you want to keep up a certain level of speed without using the brake pedal. And, as others have said using the brake pedal gives you just as much regeneration as the paddles, you just use your foot.

One more thing... It is better to use your forward motion to go a father distance, rather than to generate charge for the battery. Another way of saying it is, if you have to use regeneration a lot to slow down, you accelerated too much to begin with.

A rule of thumb I was once offered is that regeneration only gives you back about a third of the energy you put in, in the first place.
Previous prius and imiev owner.
greendwarf

littlescrote wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:32 am So your "full battery" was charged by the generator during the driving cycle? In that case, it's not the same fully charged as when put on an external charge where cell balancing occurs. In that case, there would have been a bit of head room for regen charge.
Probably not, as the "engine start" came one morning after an overnight top up charge. However, although the driving EV% dropped quite quickly, it never got to zero, so I suspect that the "engine started" mode is just a forced Charge Mode and the normal hysteresis discharge/recharge loop is still active, although the dashboard display is too simple to show the short-term drop in battery charge.

So at urban speeds, with the ICE running at a constant speed under "engine start", there are likely to be short periods when the car needs extra power above that being generated, (e.g. trying to jump the lights or avoid EV scooter louts :lol: ). Then, when you brake or paddle to slow down, Regen energy can go into the battery, if the ICE hasn't replaced it yet - hence our differing experiences of how effective B5 s at slowing the car down with an apparently "full" battery.

I suppose it is also possible that Mitsu have got a more extended hysteresis loop under "engine start" to help avoid loss of braking effect but, of course, they would never tell us about it. :lol:
greendwarf

Fjpod wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm
One more thing... It is better to use your forward motion to go a father distance, rather than to generate charge for the battery. Another way of saying it is, if you have to use regeneration a lot to slow down, you accelerated too much to begin with.
That might be true on an American freeway but not on the competitive "race tracks" of Central London, especially with our 20mph speed limit - further reference to delivery bike & EV scooter hazards :twisted: :lol:
Fjpod

greendwarf wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:38 pm
Fjpod wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm
That might be true on an American freeway but not on the competitive "race tracks" of Central London, especially with our 20mph speed limit - further reference to delivery bike & EV scooter hazards :twisted: :lol:
Well..... it's always better to use your forward motion to go farther. It's a law of physics. But you are absolutely 100% correct that it is not always possible to use that momentum in the most efficient way. Second best is generating battery charge.
Previous prius and imiev owner.
Gorch

Ian73 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:30 pm What is the best B setting to be driving in? Average drive is all hills and round trip of 10 miles
I think the best way is to try and learn on doing.
greendwarf

I have found B5 works well on twisting country roads. giving the effect of engine braking on blind bends and if you add in hills then u get the max regen benefit as well.
michael8554

IMO, most of us seem to be in two distinct schools of thought on this:

One group loves B5, to Regen whenever possible.

The other group loves B0, to save as much charge as possible by coasting, only Regen braking when necessary.

Michael
2014 3H, 20K Miles
Bought June 2019
Rolec 32Amp EVSE
Wiltshire UK
ThudnBlundr

michael8554 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:20 am IMO, most of us seem to be in two distinct schools of thought on this:

One group loves B5, to Regen whenever possible.

The other group loves B0, to save as much charge as possible by coasting, only Regen braking when necessary.

Michael
But of course you can always coast in any 'B' setting, so B5 gives you all the regen it can as well as allowing you to coast whenever you want. Whereas you can only get regen in B0 by pressing the brakes. That's why I always drive in B5 except on long journey, where I use ACC which manages the regen for you
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

Return to “Technical Discussions”