Jake3847
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Towing in hilly areas

Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Hi, I've got a 2018 2.4 outlander phev. I recently had a maiden trip to Anglesey from Lancashire. The car performed very well even on some quite big hills. I selected charge mode as I'd read on some previous posts. What I did notice was that the car performed much better in cruise control. If I pressed the accelerator the engine revved a lot but the car didn't pull away.
Our next trip was to Pembrokeshire. Same again, whilst on the motorway and trunk roads the car was great in cruise control around 50mph and in charge mode. However the last 30-40 miles are all twisty A roads with some big hills, 16% being the steepest and longest. With all the roundabouts I found it best to switch from charge to normal. That way I'd pull away on battery to say 40MPH then hit the cruise control and switch to charge mode again. But it's not long before the next junction or roundabout. All the time it's using up my battery and I've still got the 16% hill around three quarters of a mile long to climb then not long after that a 12% hill. I made it just! Am I expecting too much from the car or am I not driving it correctly with a caravan that weighs 1500kg? Should I stick to Norfolk next year?😂
Also would it be best to switch to sport for extreme hills like 16%?
And finally, when watching the vehicle info screen sometimes the engine block and front wheels turn orange. What does this mean?
Thanks in advance.

jaapv
Posts: 4641
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:12 am

Just keep it on charge all the way, don't stop it from keeping the battery as fulll as possible for tthe steep bits.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

zzcoopej
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 pm
Location: Gosford, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Jake3847 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 pm
when watching the vehicle info screen sometimes the engine block and front wheels turn orange. What does this mean?
Orange engine on the MMCS display means the engine is directly driving the front wheels (parallel hybrid mode).

Always CHARGE mode while towing. Although it seems "proper" to do slow speed towing on EV only, you are simply reducing the charge in the battery.

oscarmax
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 am

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:39 am

We tow a 1500kg caravan with our 2.4 PHEV, we just let our battery discharge to about 80% then hit the charge button, when we first started we were overthinking trying all sorts of modes, especially when the engine is revving away at speeds below 45 mph, eventually you will learn to ignore it, once over 45 mph is goes into direct drive.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

Jake3847
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:58 pm

So don’t switch to battery or EV mode? Just pull away from junctions with the engine revving away?
And what about going up extremely steep hills. In charge mode the car and caravan were crawling! Switched to normal mode and it was much better.

greendwarf
Posts: 2343
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:39 am

The "over revving" is just like holding a low gear to pull away/overtake faster with a manual box - although if you are used to automatics then this is not so obvious a comparison. I agree that it is intrusive but only because you have got used to how quiet the car is normally..

However, like the others, I don't understand your experience on hills. As below 45mph the electric motors are doing all the work, it can make no difference to your speed whether the ICE is running or not, as it is merely being used to replenish the battery. If what you say is true then that would suggest there is something wrong with your car, which only a dealer is going to able to resolve.

oscarmax
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 am

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:39 pm

greendwarf wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:39 am
The "over revving" is just like holding a low gear to pull away/overtake faster with a manual box - although if you are used to automatics then this is not so obvious a comparison. I agree that it is intrusive but only because you have got used to how quiet the car is normally..

However, like the others, I don't understand your experience on hills. As below 45mph the electric motors are doing all the work, it can make no difference to your speed whether the ICE is running or not, as it is merely being used to replenish the battery. If what you say is true then that would suggest there is something wrong with your car, which only a dealer is going to able to resolve.
I may be wrong, I have never driven or towed with the 2.0 PHEV model, not sure if our 2.4 model performs in the same way as the 2.0.

When towing away from junction, roundabout etc including steep hills using electric its fine, if you press the accelerator harder and engage the ICE unit just revs, the harder you press the more the revs, there seems to be little very little difference in acceleration ? I have learnt to ignore the ICE revs and save the battery.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

ThudnBlundr
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 am
Location: Yorkshire end of M1, UK

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:40 am

If you regularly accelerate away from a standstill while towing in EV-mode, all your power is coming from the battery at a high 'C' level, which isn't good for the battery. Surely it's better for longevity of the battery to use the power from the ICE for high power applications and save the battery for lower-'C' usage.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

oscarmax
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 am

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:03 am

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:40 am
If you regularly accelerate away from a standstill while towing in EV-mode, all your power is coming from the battery at a high 'C' level, which isn't good for the battery. Surely it's better for longevity of the battery to use the power from the ICE for high power applications and save the battery for lower-'C' usage.
You are perfectly correct, however, I am assuming the Jake like myself have been used to towing with diesels, it is such a big jump to understanding and adjusting to towing with the Outlander PHEV, To date I have always used the speed limiter for towing.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

greendwarf
Posts: 2343
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 am

oscarmax wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:39 pm
greendwarf wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:39 am
The "over revving" is just like holding a low gear to pull away/overtake faster with a manual box - although if you are used to automatics then this is not so obvious a comparison. I agree that it is intrusive but only because you have got used to how quiet the car is normally..

However, like the others, I don't understand your experience on hills. As below 45mph the electric motors are doing all the work, it can make no difference to your speed whether the ICE is running or not, as it is merely being used to replenish the battery. If what you say is true then that would suggest there is something wrong with your car, which only a dealer is going to able to resolve.
I may be wrong, I have never driven or towed with the 2.0 PHEV model, not sure if our 2.4 model performs in the same way as the 2.0.

When towing away from junction, roundabout etc including steep hills using electric its fine, if you press the accelerator harder and engage the ICE unit just revs, the harder you press the more the revs, there seems to be little very little difference in acceleration ? I have learnt to ignore the ICE revs and save the battery.
Which, of course, is correct - once you have maxed out the power from the electric motors, all pressing the accelerator does is increase the revs but under 45mph can't use this for turning the wheels. Arguably this is a "design fault", but apparently the Japanese don't usually tow :idea:

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”