Oil life?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjpod

I have a 2020 model. Bought it new in US. I'm wondering if I should adjust my oil change interval based on how much EV vs ICE driving I do.

Is there a way to determine this ratio?

(Aware that making changes might jeopardize warranty)

My understanding is that since the ICE is coming on fairly frequently for short(ish) periods you might need more frequent oil changes than you think. I try to follow something inbetween the recommended "regular" and "severe" intervals listed in the manual.

Given the lower quality of NA engine oil - this isn't dig at you, but has been acknowledged over the years in numerous posts by your compatriots - it seems foolish to penny pinch on servicing when you have invested $40k+ in buying the car. The ICE is the most expensive item after the battery and like all mechanical components is liable to wear and tear. Mitsu would justifiably invalidate your warranty if you don't adhere to the servicing regime - which could get very expensive!

It appears to me that "penny wise pound foolish" is applicable.
especially as this is a car that is not very suitable for owner service.

jaapv said:
It appears to me that "penny wise pound foolish" is applicable.
especially as this is a car that is not very suitable for owner service.

Why is it not suitable for owner service when that service is an oil (and filter) change?

Nothing in particular, but DIY isn't recorded by Mitsu - so could impact on warranty claims. However, the OP was about extending the mileage between oil changes (presumably to save money) not DIY per se.

And the point arising from that - is any savings could be wiped out by problems resulting from the extended period (especially given the low quality of NA oil) and the potential loss of warranty cover, because 3rd party or DIY resolution will be difficult and/or expensive!

The mechanical part is easy enough, the same as any other car. The electrical part (which is half the car) requires maintenance in the form of updates as well, which an owner cannot provide. Nor has an owner access to the diagnostic software needed to check the car through at maintenance. And then there are the guarantee problems Greendwarf mentions, including the long guarantee on the battery. Plus the value loss on sale. A used car with no official service history is not worth much.
To add: this car does more cold starts requiring immediate power than an ICE one. Skimping on lubrication is not a good idea. The. intervals advised by Mitsubishi are based on the quality of the oil available in the specific market and are aimed at keeping the engine healthy.

I would rather buy one that has regular maintenance more frequently than the service schedule done by the owner (with proof of receipts for oil and filters) than one with main dealer service at the specified interval.

littlescrote said:
I would rather buy one that has regular maintenance more frequently than the service schedule done by the owner (with proof of receipts for oil and filters) than one with main dealer service at the specified interval.
I wouldn't as there would be no factory guaranty, nor does a receipt from Halfords provide any proof of a proper service done - you know, the one with the ticked boxes for all aspects checked etc.
And there would be no proof that the oil was actually used for an oil change.
About the same level as "only used by an old lady to drive to church" :roll:

It's recorded that the stamp has been given, so your warranty has a chance of being honoured. But the physical oil change and any other maintenance may not have actually been done. I'd rather trust that if a private person has bought the correct oil and filter, that they actually used them and din't just build up a store in the garage, pour it in the chip fryer etc

That it not a dealer that I would trust my car to. Actually, if that came out, they'd lose their dealership immediately

The mark up by the dealers is so large that they have no incentive to cheat. Sure, when buying a second hand car, from anywhere nothing wrong with checking the oil condition via the dip stick but other than an oil analysis how would you know otherwise?

But preferring to trust a stranger on whom you have no comeback against a dealer you can sue is too cynical even for a professional cynic like myself - I'm a advocate, so am paid to assume the other side are liars! :lol:

On the OPs original point please do change oil on schedule or more frequently. I was surprised at the poor condition of mine after a year and 10K miles when perhaps 60 - 70 % of miles are all electric.

I like to service my own car every now and then to be certain it was actually done properly. I have zero faith in UK main dealerships - indeed two car brands are on my lifetime boycott list due to appalling service friends have received. Its clear service varies considerably worldwide - I might move to Canada just for the car service experience ! Its a national scandal in the UK. If you think your car is properly serviced I recommend learning how to inspect your cabin filter and engine filter - then immediately after your service, (assuming they are scheduled for replacement) go see if they were. Take checking the transaxle fluid for level and condition - this can only be done by removing the fill plug and dipping the oil (use the slight bend in the end of a cable tie to get a small sample). But my plugs had no sign of ever having been opened and were 'factory tight' after 6 years of Mitsu servicing.

When I do sell on my car any loss of resale value will be compensated by the substantial savings in service costs.

Back