New Phev specs released it seems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi fellow Phevers,
As can be seen here : https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiXxvKP9LH0AhU2kmYCHeDpAh4YABAAGgJzbQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoJt1VEtvW4z7s0XNE3IMUvkc&sig=AOD64_3Kot1dmdwZXrGrdTLNCgTSDdRHMw&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjB2eqP9LH0AhU6SmwGHXKHA5oQ0Qx6BAgDEAE
and here: https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-detailed
that some of the specs of the new Phev that is coming to Australia first half 2022 seem to be known now.

More power (approx 43% more) to the electric motors and a 20 Kwh battery giving 87 kms range (approx 60% more)."In addition to making the Outlander PHEV last longer on electric power, Mitsubishi has also increased driving range for the petrol engine through the use of a larger fuel tank" it says . Geez, what will you whingers have to complain about now? ;) :lol:

I even like the look of the new model but that will be very subjective depending upon one's tastes. :D :lol:

Regards Trex.

"The Outlander PHEV has gained a third row of seats for the first time, which aligns it in seating capacity with the regular petrol-powered 2022 Outlander. A two-row version will continue to be available" one of the article says.

So we get a 7 seater, very interesting. It appears Mitsi has made changes in the rear motor/inverter control unit placement to make that available . See :https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-detailed-seven-seats-bigger-battery-and-more-driving-range where it says " Mitsubishi says it freed up space for the third row by unifying the rear motor with the control unit, while moving the control unit has also made for a quieter cabin".

I also read it has a bigger body which also helps the bigger fuel tank I would think.

Also this : "Mitsubishi has added a new one-pedal driving mode, allowing you to accelerate and decelerate simply by pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal". Sounds good for those people that bitched about this here at one time. :lol:

Good improvements all round so far IMO. Might trade in my oldest Phev for it. ;) :D

Now I will say this as person that has had a PHEV since they were released here (one of the first in Australia) which I still own (as well as a 2019 model) it's good to see Mitsi is upgrading the overall package. Mitsi are still number 1 (edit a brand from China may now be no 1) in Phev sales I think (so they must be doing something right it seems) and I am proud to be part of that journey.

I hope others that don't appear to like being part of that journey or seem to always find some fault with the PHEV find some peace with the PHEV or move on to something else for their own peace of mind or health and wellbeing.

But that is just my opinion. :)

Regards Trex.

However, in the light of our wonderful post-Brexit trade deal with "the land down under" there is scope for grey imports. :idea:

Trex said:
Also this : "Mitsubishi has added a new one-pedal driving mode, allowing you to accelerate and decelerate simply by pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal". Sounds good for those people that bitched about this here at one time. :lol:

But one-pedal driving is not new in our older PHEVs!
Leaving it in B5 gives one a one-pedal driving experience.

Hi again fellow Phevers,
It's 3.41am on a Friday morning here down under. Yes I am from your future. You can call me Future Man. ;) :lol:

But seriously, I am off work soon but I won't bore you with the details. But will try to reply to any queries if I can later.

But before I go I definitely wanted to say Hello to Mr greendwarf Sir ;) and sorry but when I quoted about that one pedal driving I am pretty sure the reporter was talking about "proper" one pedal driving like on some EVs etc, ie come to a complete halt without using the brake pedal.

Got to go .

Regards Trex

Good evening Trex - I trust you are enjoying your summer weather - something that seems a distant memory here :lol:

greendwarf said:
Good evening Trex - I trust you are enjoying your summer weather - something that seems a distant memory here :lol:
G'day Mr greendwarf Sir ;) ,
Actually it's been raining heaps here lately, maybe a La Nina event coming here this year. :idea: :cool: :lol:

Now I noticed in one of the articles I linked in the first post this:

"It’s still powered by a 2.4-litre four-cylinder ‘MIVEC’ engine which produces 98kW of power and 195Nm of torque, which is mated with two electric motors: one with 85kW of power and 255Nm of torque, the other with 100kW and 195Nm."

So if we "guess" that like the old PHEV's that approx half the power of the electric motors is supplied by the drive battery ie 85kW + 100kW = 185kW
/2 = 92.5kW will this be enough power for Mitsubishi to finally give us a pure EV mode ie accelerator pedal flat to the floor and no petrol motor kicking in to help ?

I guess we will soon find out. :)

Regards Trex.

Ps this is only conjecture on my part and using other's reported figures to work this out.

Also notice this :

"The front electric motor has a new booster function which Mitsubishi claims raises the supply of energy to the front motor while reducing power consumption, and there are seven drive modes to choose from: Normal, Tarmac, Gravel, Snow, Mud, Power and Eco. "

So what is this "booster function" they are talking about that does this "reducing power consumption". Again this is only conjecture or "guessing"
on my part but I have seen something before on my first hybrid a Toyota Prius. What Toyota did is they had a approx 200 volt drive battery on my particular model Prius.

Now instead of directly feeding those approx 200 volts to the electric drive motor (or actually the invertor that controls the electric drive motor) Toyota on board the car "boosted" the voltage to approx 650 volts for efficiency reasons.

I wonder if Mitsubishi may be doing something similar? Boosting the front motor voltage for efficiency reasons.

But I could be wrong. :? :oops:

Regards Trex.

As mentioned in the first post petrol engine fuel tank capacity has supposedly been increased. Found this YouTube video today and it mentions it has been increased to 56lts (up from 45lts). See about 3 min 25 secs into video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RON98c4NwQg

Also mentions that combined range will be above 1000 Kms now (probably if driven at speeds more suited for economy I would think ;) ) see about 3 min 34 secs into video.

Mentions 12 days of V2H (Vehicle to Home) power available ( I would think that again some users would gets different results).

Also shows the new one pedal driving mode in action in that video see about 3 min 50 secs into video.

Video has other information that you may find interesting including mentioning a HUD display.

Regards Trex

somersetstroller said:
Hi Trex

Unfortunately the new PHEV will no longer be an option in the UK.

Hi somersetstroller :) ,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I didn't know the circumstances of this particular topic so I kept out of it till now.

So Mitsubishi have stopped selling new cars in the UK is what I am seeing I think but would fellow alliance member Renault make a version of this new PHEV ? Or put their own brand on it? Or maybe Nissan?

Regards Trex.

I really like the extra seat back pockets - a long standing gripe of mine from the original model. And now I can't have one :twisted:

Nice design. 20kWh battery certainly is an improvements, but not really satisfying. On the other hand, the increased EV engine power would improve the recuparation power, so more energy could be re-generated on the roads.

From an EU point of view, I would prefer twice the battery (40kWh) in exchange for the petrol engine. However, they may not sell it in the EU anyway. Which is a shame. My contract still holds for about 2 years. Having me relax for now.

Gorch said:
Nice design. 20kWh battery certainly is an improvements, but not really satisfying. On the other hand, the increased EV engine power would improve the recuparation power, so more energy could be re-generated on the roads.

Was the motor size the limitation on regen, or is it inverter or battery?

littlescrote said:
Gorch said:

Was the motor size the limitation on regen, or is it inverter or battery?

Motor size certainly is a limitation on regen since the motor turns into generator for regen. Increased motor power might go in hand with the bigger battery pack. Higher regen would extend the range significantly or increase the blocking power for speed reduction. Anyway, a 20 kWh battery would help me a lot on the many midrange trips I do.

Clearly both motor size and inverter power could be limitations on regen power, but which actually are?

I was able to test drive a dealer demonstrator a couple of days ago. It has travelled less than 1000 km and the top spec model launched here in NZ "VRX" With the rapid advances `being made in EV vehicles it was difficult to make a decision. However, the new Outlander has ticked all the boxes for me. The battery only range of 85 km (testing proved this easily achievable) and the concept of only having electric motors powering the wheels - The ICE purely acting as a big grunty generator with no direct drive to the wheels made a lot of sense to me. With 90 % of our motoring comprising less than 80 Km / day I can see us driving this vehicle as purely an EV with the ICE seldom being used.
Unfortunately, the 20KWH battery was all but completely discharged when took delivery of the vehicle so I set the EV control to charge and over about 45 km distance travelled the battery range had gone from zero to 42km or close to 50%. The one pedal driving was a real revelation and I soon adapted to this driving style. You just need to be careful when disengaging the cruise without having your foot on the accelerator as the regenerative braking can be pretty brutal when you are not prepared for it. The brakes will never wear out !!
Another unfortunate fail with our test was the central main information display touch screen was dead and they were waiting for a replacement. So access to the excellent Bose sound system along with a myriad of other useful info was not available.

We have placed an order for a VRX due for delivery in late June and have included a tow bar (1600kg) and mud flaps. The NZ Government is currently (excuse the pun) offering a NZ$5750 clean air rebate on the purchase price of a new hybrid which will see our price with on road costs and extras around $N72,000 after the Govt. rebate.

This You Tube clip really highlights the versatility of this new model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzyvdnJdKU

I would like to know how Mitsubishi claim a 1.9lt / 100 km fuel consumption rating for this vehicle. Maybe if you started with a full battery and drove 100 km you would use 1.9 lt to travel the last 15 km after the battery has fully discharged. We definitely have some interesting experimentation ahead of us. ;)
Charging: We have a night rate of NZ $0.17c / Kwh X 20 = $3.40 full charge. We also have 6.6 Kw Solar on our roof at home and could use that on days when we have good sunshine and have surplus generation. Public charging stations in NZ are charging 20c / minute + 20 cents / kwh, so more than double overnight home charge rate.

Cheers
Chris

Back