Towbar - self fitting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a follow-up to my previous post, from the looks of the towbar that was installed I think it would be the last thing to break when pulling something like a small house behind the PHEV. I cannot speak to the wiring harness yet as I have not actually had time to tow with it. It has the typical 2" receiver that most medium-duty bars sold in the US get. That's handy because all sorts of generic accessories will work with it. At one point I had a Volvo Cross Country with their custom detachable hitch (that was ultimately recalled as the locking mechanism tended to give way) and had to purchase two expensive ball assemblies as my camping trailer has a 1 7/18" ball rather than the more typical 2".

Having read the installation instructions for both the towbar and the wiring I'm quite sure it would have taken me at least a week to complete the job myself, and without any indoor work area I was not going to be able to do this.

LGAero said:
I am in USA, 2018 PHEV Outlander. Quoted $700 by dealer for figment and supply for Mitsubishi supplied hitch. This seems far too much, especially on a leased car.

Very interested to learn if any North American solution had been found .

Curt Manufacturing has a trailer hitch, custom fitted for 2018 Outlander PHEV.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13398

I just ordered mine from carid.com

https://www.carid.com/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-trailer-hitches/curt-class-3-rear-trailer-hitches-893893067.html

Should take 30min - 1 hr. Good luck.

^ I was just about to post that same Curt information :D

Spent some time yesterday researching this. I have found a place in Mississauga, ON that will supply the Curt 13398 for $277.99 and install for an additional $132.13.
My heart says to buy and install myself for cheaper, my head says I should get the professionals to do it!

Dealer quoted me $862 for a hitch, plus $280 for a wiring harness.
I only need this to mount a bike rack (no trailers), so Curt it is.

Now off to shop some Canadian parts suppliers to see how much I can get the hitch down to... ;)

@YYZ2018GT and @RaySkunk:

Did either of you attempt to install the Curt trailer hitch on your PHEV? I tried today but found that there was not enough space to get the nuts onto the 1/2" bolts on the drive side. There was a metal box shape on the underside of the car on the driveside that butted up close to where the hitch bolts onto the frame, so I could not get the nuts on and then get a wrench in to tighten the nuts onto the bolts.

Did either of you have a similar issue? If so, any work-arounds?

I think I am going to end up paying someone to install the hitch, but it seems relatively easy to do myself aside from this one complication I ran into.

Thanks!

It was straight forward on mine. About 30 min. I did it last summer so I may not recall much, but it may mave been a biy tricky on driver's side but it wasn't that hard. Just needed 2 wrench to tighten it.

I am thinking of getting a detachable towbar on my car when I get it to attach a cycle carrier, and possibly a trailer at a later date. Didn't want to have it as a really expensive option put on at the dealer, as I am handy with cars and their electrics.

Being new to a towbar, am I right in thinking the 7pin electrics are fine? And really only need the 13 if I ended up with a caravan etc?

Would I be right in thinking for electrics this would do all I need?

https://www.rameder.eu/ac-electrical-set-147553-10624-1.html

I am a little more confused on the actual type of towbar. I don't mind if you can see a bit of a bracket when not in use, but want something relatively easy to remove the ball when not in use etc.

Is this OK https://www.rameder.eu/towbar-detachable-111511-10624-1.html

Would these work together?

Thanks.

I built my own hitch to bolt up under the frame. Good for at least 3500 lb. A lot of measurements prior to make it. Just had to lower the tail exhaust pipe by 3/4". This site does not accept my pictures.
Mitsubishi is selling a wiring kit for my 2018 PHEV listed $100.US, but I found one in Fayetteville NC for $84. including shipping to Florida.

My "Swedish imported" PHEV has Westfalia towbar. I can highly recommend if you are looking for a removeable one. It is completely invisible when removed, and requires no bumper cutting. Even the electric socket can be turned up so it goes behind the bumper.

Here's a cool youtube video showing the mechanism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulh282wpqP0

The downside is that previous owner has lost the key, so mine isn't actully removable at the moment. :D But there is a number printed on the lock which can be used to order a new key, I'm waiting for a new one to arrive..

Just to follow up on the 4 pin trailer wiring installation. The Mitsubishi kit is very complete with a 10 page instructions with colored pictures. They ask to remove the plastic bumper to be able to drill a hole 25 mm on the side of the rear fender behind the plastic bumper. I found that too much trouble and I drilled the floor 15 mm at the far back in lieu. Also I did not have to remove the aluminum casing tied down with 10 bolts, over the rear axle and protecting some electric stuff.
The most touchy is to remove and replace the inner plastic fender which starts from the side of the rear seat to the rear lid. I did not break anything following the pictures and description.
It took me 3 hours being very cautious, but doing it again, half this time will be necessary. I do not know what Mitsubishi is charging to do it. Perhaps somebody knows!

I reduced the definition to show pictures of my hitch fabrication along with wiring harness 4 pin connectors.

Attachments

• 9CBE9003-211F-4AD6-B402-9834FD126CE1.jpeg
    9CBE9003-211F-4AD6-B402-9834FD126CE1.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 9C30756C-7537-469B-891B-F042521A8022.jpeg
    9C30756C-7537-469B-891B-F042521A8022.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 50
After installing the Mitsubishi's trailer wiring harness I connected my trailer to notice that the system is not working. Several tests were performed, dead on all pins. Also I do not recommend the package after following the instructions religiously.

My installation. The tow bar and parking sensors at the same time. Sorry, but my comments are in Polish, but you can turn on the captions translated in English. It's worth to see it I guess :)

EVfun is a new channel around Outlander PHEV. Welcome to subscribe!
https://youtu.be/YmV6ogSvbuQ

new2EVs said:
@YYZ2018GT and @RaySkunk:

Did either of you attempt to install the Curt trailer hitch on your PHEV? I tried today but found that there was not enough space to get the nuts onto the 1/2" bolts on the drive side. There was a metal box shape on the underside of the car on the driveside that butted up close to where the hitch bolts onto the frame, so I could not get the nuts on and then get a wrench in to tighten the nuts onto the bolts.

Did either of you have a similar issue? If so, any work-arounds?

I think I am going to end up paying someone to install the hitch, but it seems relatively easy to do myself aside from this one complication I ran into.

Thanks!

For any future people who read this.. I did the install today and as you mentioned the driver side is a pain in ass. I ended up just slowly doing turns with a 19mm wrench and went at it till I can no longer turn. (only using it for a bike rack) but will need to check tightness probably after first use. Passenger side you need to kinda remove the exhaust to get access but even still might need a 6 inch extension to reach as the hitch was in the way. I just impacted it on and held it down for like 10 seconds. Then torqued it to spec. For the provided nuts and bolt 4 - 7 I did not find any hole in the frame big enough to even fit the nut or hole spacer in so I didn't even use this (find it kinda sketch). If anyone has any new details or advice on the install would love it hear it and redo it properly.

Back