DAB radio losing preset station names

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, called West London Mitsubishi and they have been told by "head office" (their's or Mitsubishi's is unclear) that it is clearly a problem with the DAB signal. I was able to confirm that any such problem doesn't affect the DAB radios in my house, and as we chatted we decided it can't be affecting all manufacturers as that would certainly be reportable news.

Said I'd speak to them again in a few weeks to see if anything has come back from HQ. But West London has other customers suffering the same.

If everyone experiencing this could also contact their Mitsubishi dealer (and mention this forum) we might get somewhere.

Since the middle of December 2021 the phenomenon of losing display preset names but the presets still existing has happened to me a few times when travelling along the M40 towards London around High Wycombe and also in West London. I don't blame the car I blame the noughts and ones - everything is digital these days, even some medical examinations.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am in SW London and have exactly the same issue.... switches back to absolute radio and wipes the presets... infuriating! H

hughwilson said:
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am in SW London and have exactly the same issue.... switches back to absolute radio and wipes the presets... infuriating! H

Ditto (East London). It switches to Absolute 70s at full volume every 30 seconds or so and it's infuriating, as you say.

still having the problem. Im amazed I cant find anything about it online or Google which suggests its not that widespread. Seems to be effecting only Mitsubishi Outlanders with DAB, thee is a Facebook Group and there are loads of people on thee complaining about same issue. I cant beleive there is no fix or explanation....yet

hughwilson said:

The presets are still there, if you press 3 it goes back to Radio 3 (in my case) and then if you press and hold, the reset is restored. But it's still infuriating, I agree.

k00pa said:
Ditto (East London). It switches to Absolute 70s at full volume every 30 seconds or so and it's infuriating, as you say.

I'm lucky, it's more like every 30 minutes for me. Nothing has changed on the car or MMCS, so I can only assume that there's been some slight change to the DAB signal that gives rise to this problem. But why (apparently) is it only affecting Outlanders? Our other car doesn't have DAB and none of the DAB radios in the house have this problem, but then they're (obviously) not on the move and switching between multiplexes as a result.

My radio (not DAB) gave me a start the other day...

Suddenly the RDS text displayed on my classical station was announcing songs from another station.

Given the artists and song titles, I'm guessing it was a "Hits from the Eighties" type station.

I went around the dial and couldn't find a local station that matched the content, but noticed that the text was correct for every station, except my classical station.

Best guess?

Somebody was broadcasting the RDS text for a different, interstate, station on their frequency.
(i.e. somebody at the national classical station had re-tuned a device to the wrong feed)

I have also noticed in the past, that the text on that station sometimes was half an hour ahead of the program content...

These things suggest to me that there are a lot of things that can go wrong with broadcast radio.

(Here in Adelaide, we had a repeater station in the city broadcasting the wrong station for a couple of hours, because a technician in that room thought that the 'tuner' in the rack was just for that room. He changed it to his favourite radio station while he was working in the room, and left it in that condition.)

mellobob said:
This is about a different problem, but I wonder if it could be something similar affecting you guys?

Not convinced. That's digital over FM rather than DAB and it affects people listening to a specific station rather than people listening to any DAB station (which then switches to a specific station).

Whenever it happens for me there's a silent pause of around 10 seconds before Absolute 70s starts. I'm wondering if the radio is crashing and then restarting tuned to the first station in the DAB list, alphabetically. I haven't checked, but I wonder if Absolute 70s is first in the list of available stations when sorted alphabetically.

This would imply a fault with the car but it does seem weird that it only started occurring for everyone recently.

Could everyone add their vehicle to their signature so we can see if it affects a particular model and year (and colour :lol:). Mines a 2014 GX4hs (in pearlescent white).

k00pa said:
Could everyone add their vehicle to their signature so we can see if it affects a particular model and year (and colour :lol:). Mines a 2014 GX4hs (in pearlescent white).

Mine's the slightly later 'facelift' version - model GX4h (in red :D). I, too, saw The Register article and agree it seems unrelated. And I'm pretty sure Absolute 70s is the first DAB station in alphabetic order (I also get the silent pause before it starts up). As I noted above, the presets are still present and correct, it's only the labels that have been lost (at least, for me).

I have the same problem too. It also started a few weeks ago. I’m trying a full station scan to update it all. But it takes so long I don’t yet know if it works. Will say if it does.

I don't want to tempt fate (OK, I will anyway :) ), but this hasn't happened to me for a week or so, even though (of necessity, because of my location) I switch between multiplexes frequently, with the associated few seconds of dropout which this has always triggered.

Hi, found this page while looking to see why the DAB radio in my ASX keeps losing the presets and turning to Absolutely radio whenever I get on the M25 (I travel from Yorkshire to Surrey for work each week). Good to know it’s not just me or an issue with my car.

Result, mine seems to have stopped doing it this week. ITs when it loses the DAB signal but now the radio station just goes quite and comes back on as soon as the signal comes back. The presets stay set as normal. No more Absolute Radio!

Me too, ajh. I wonder what's behind this? Nothing has changed in the car, either to start it happening or to end it, so I can only assume that something changed in the DAB signal itself. But why would it only affect Mitsubishi cars rather than the million and one other DAB tuners out there? File under W for 'weird'.

ChrisMiller said:
Me too, ajh. I wonder what's behind this? Nothing has changed in the car, either to start it happening or to end it, so I can only assume that something changed in the DAB signal itself. But why would it only affect Mitsubishi cars rather than the million and one other DAB tuners out there? File under W for 'weird'.

Best guess...

ABS radio is software dependent.

Someone made a change (at the broadcasting end) that affected Mitsubishi vehicles and that change has either been corrected or rolled back.

I've seen discussion about similar events elsewhere that only affected a subset of vehicles.

A bit of a pain but to recover the names, press the previous location briefly and the same station should play, then press it again and the name should return. If you cannot remember the locations, just do each in turn to find out.

Kim said:
jaapv said:
If you select station list and then preset the names will reappear.
I blew the main fuse last weekend and after that the car was all English speaking plus DAB and FM is not showing station infos anymore.
So I will try jaapv's reappear-trick later tomorrow.

Incident made me hear the English speaking navigation... LOL how amazing is THAT woman?!?
She must've be at least a Major in the Army/RAF befor she became a navvoice!
Hilarious, I was laughing soo hard!
:lol:

I always laugh and mimic her when she says 'Go straight' :-D

Still switching to Absolute 70s on a regular basis for me. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a minute. Only seems to happen well inside the M25 though.

Hi all,

This is happening to me as well [2016 model] & I'm right down on the south coast, nowhere near the M25!

Back