Is the Chademo port still usable in N. America?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmageddon

I am researching buying a used MY 19 GT.
I am wondering if during road trips, I could fast charge but I can't seem to find any Outlander PHEV specific information on connector or adapter for CCS.

Only results turn up for the Nissan Leaf.

It might not be very important feature I guess, but at worst it's something to consider and a good point for price negotiation.

Mitsu warns against using them frequently as they by-pass the car's charging control system and might cause the battery to degrade faster. However, there is little user evidence to support this, because for most people the cost (both money and time - 20 minutes) to get an extra 20+ miles of EV driving, against the convenience of firing up the ICE, is not worth it - so most PHEV drivers rarely use them. I've maybe used them half a dozen times in almost 7 years!

Also blocking a pure EV driver from his only means of further travel earns you universal hatred. :roll:

greendwarf said:
Mitsu warns against using them frequently as they by-pass the car's charging control system and might cause the battery to degrade faster. However, there is little user evidence to support this, because for most people the cost (both money and time - 20 minutes) to get an extra 20+ miles of EV driving, against the convenience of firing up the ICE, is not worth it - so most PHEV drivers rarely use them. I've maybe used them half a dozen times in almost 7 years!

Also blocking a pure EV driver from his only means of further travel earns you universal hatred. :roll:

This.
I have not opened the port on the car since 2013.

greendwarf said:

Thanks! So just a good negotiation point to lower the price a bit mostly...

littlescrote said:
You may wish to use the ChaDemo port for a V2H or V2G connection in the future.

How? If we cant do it now, we probably wont be able in the future as that standard is being deprecated and not going to be further developed...

You can do it now. It's part of the Chademo standard that power flow is bi-directional. All you need is a £5k Chademo DC installation at home and you're up and running :roll: :lol:

Carmageddon said:
How? If we cant do it now, we probably wont be able in the future as that standard is being deprecated and not going to be further developed...

I meant in the future of the bidirectional charger (where regulations, availability and cost need to improve), rather than the future of the vehicle (which is already compatible)

littlescrote said:
You may wish to use the ChaDemo port for a V2H or V2G connection in the future.

I'm waiting for the certification and distribution of Wallbox Quasar in Australia to be completed so I can add useable10kWh to my home storage (in addition to Powerwall 2) and be essentially off grid for five days and seven nights per week.

Back