greendwarf

Re: What CAN I tow with PHEV

Although my schoolboy electro-mechanical knowledge is over 50 years old, I don't think the basic physics has changed. All motors need momentum to keep turning between the energy input bursts - even an ICE - so initial movement is difficult.

With a traditional electric motor the central armature has a large mass to keep it turning as it moves from contact to contact but even that can be prevented relatively easily - ever had an electric drill jam? Sure an electric motor can't stall, but the continual inflow of energy is just turned into heat - as we have already discussed.

As your diligence has discovered, I have made this point before, but in relation to actual experiences of PHEV users. I think it might have been Trex who demonstrated the brick/kerb fail but others reported problems on slopes, including slipways. The solution, is to have momentum when meeting the obstacle - I've seen a Mitsu video of the car climbing a 45 degree ramp with no problem but NOT from a standing start. So the usual way of dealing with this is to back up and take a run at it - unfortunately, you may not always have this option, especially on a slip way.

Yes, if you are likely to want to tow a large boat up a slipway, then the PHEV is probably not for you - you need a vehicle with the motor up front well out of the way of the water. :idea:
jaapv

Allegedly the car has a wade depth of 40cm.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013
greendwarf

16 inches in real money :lol:
Carmageddon

greendwarf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 am Although my schoolboy electro-mechanical knowledge is over 50 years old, I don't think the basic physics has changed. All motors need momentum to keep turning between the energy input bursts - even an ICE - so initial movement is difficult.

With a traditional electric motor the central armature has a large mass to keep it turning as it moves from contact to contact but even that can be prevented relatively easily - ever had an electric drill jam? Sure an electric motor can't stall, but the continual inflow of energy is just turned into heat - as we have already discussed.

As your diligence has discovered, I have made this point before, but in relation to actual experiences of PHEV users. I think it might have been Trex who demonstrated the brick/kerb fail but others reported problems on slopes, including slipways. The solution, is to have momentum when meeting the obstacle - I've seen a Mitsu video of the car climbing a 45 degree ramp with no problem but NOT from a standing start. So the usual way of dealing with this is to back up and take a run at it - unfortunately, you may not always have this option, especially on a slip way.

Yes, if you are likely to want to tow a large boat up a slipway, then the PHEV is probably not for you - you need a vehicle with the motor up front well out of the way of the water. :idea:

Interesting, are you saying that the rear motor and battery are not water proof? Or if water gets into the drive unit, warranty doesn't cover this?

There's a new one that came in 20 minutes drive from me one se and one gt - will be test driving those!
greendwarf

It's not designed as an off-roader (rather a "soft roader") so I wouldn't personally push the water proofing to the limits but I'm quite happy to drive through deep puddles with impunity. :P
mikepotts64

I have done a test tow with my 2021 PHEV staying under the 1500Kg limit for a 300KM caravan relocation. I read that battery depletion is the problem with towing a load so I stopped a few times in generation mode to keep the battery level above 50%. Total fuel consumption for the trip was 11l/100km. My motorway speed was not more than 80km/h, slowing to 70km/h on a few steeper inclines. The trip ended traversing across a rain sodden field which the 4WD Lock mode handled without a problem. I ran the PHEV Watchdog app for the whole trip keeping an eye on all the parameters.

Compared to the VW Tiguan 130kW diesel I usually tow this van with the fuel consumption is the same but the stability is slightly better on the PHEV with the longer wheelbase and Bilstein suspension.

I also tow a small box trailer often and the PHEV doesn't know its on.
jaapv

There is no need to stop and recharge as long as you do not get the "reduced power" warning.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

Return to “News and Main Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum Discussions”