Curt 56412 Trailer Wiring Harness

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sousasmash

Have folks had any luck with the Curt 56412 trailer wiring harness? I'm working on installing in my Outlander PHEV (USA model) and running in to the issue of one of the brake lights being on constantly and no turn signals working. The reviews (the very few out there) for the Curt wiring harness I saw listed the same issue, but of course I'm hard headed so I figured it was just operator error.

Not sure if there's just a step I'm missing or if I do need to opt for paying double for the OEM wiring harness.

After checking and re-checking the wiring, I decided to remove the wiring harness. After testing the pins on the factory tow harness connector, it turns out the connector on the Curt tow wiring assembly had the pins installed in reverse order at the factory.

If anyone else has a similar issue, I recommend they check the tow harness plug pins to ensure they're in the right order. It wasn't too hard to disassemble and reassemble in the correct order--a flat head screwdriver and a straight pick tool should do the trick.

Which trim is your outlander? Was it as easy as the curt guide to find the plug? I still to this day have yet to find the tow plug in the trunk. I have the 2020 outlander phev LE. Been debating if I can't find a plug if I should cu and solder the curt harness in.

I have the SEL. It was right where the instructions had it, although it's kinda hard to see since it's wrapped in electrical tape. You need to make sure you pull all that trim back on the drivers side to find it. The U-Haul and eTrailer install videos are pretty handy for finding it. The factory wiring harness plug is the same on the PHEV and non-PHEV outlander, but doesn't have the run for the 12V to the engine bay like the non-PHEV outlanders.

Sure wish I had seen this a few weeks back. I tried two separate Curt wiring harnesses and had the same problem as described. Curt's tech line was no help at all - they said I had to connect it to the battery under the hood even though the wiring is set up to connect to the 12v auxiliary battery in the rear. I ended up buying a Mitsubishi factory wiring harness and it worked perfectly the first time.

sousasmash said:
After checking and re-checking the wiring, I decided to remove the wiring harness. After testing the pins on the factory tow harness connector, it turns out the connector on the Curt tow wiring assembly had the pins installed in reverse order at the factory.

If anyone else has a similar issue, I recommend they check the tow harness plug pins to ensure they're in the right order. It wasn't too hard to disassemble and reassemble in the correct order--a flat head screwdriver and a straight pick tool should do the trick.

How did you ever get the pins out? I've been trying for several hours even purchased damn pin removal tool from Amazon but can't get a single pin out. I'm going to end up destroying the connector housing at this rate prying. Really don't want to go the t tap or solder route.

I can't seem to find that hitch and wiring.
Care to ahare?

I only found https://www.hitchweb.com/2019-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-trailer-hitches
And that's a 4 pin only for toys.

But interested in the 6-7 pins and brake controller, not sure what I require exactly?

Back