Hotel Charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjs104

Does anyone know of any chains of Hotels that have embraced EV's and offer charging points in their car parks?

They would make an ideal place to have charging points surely?

Cheers,

Richard.

I was surprised to see the three local airports near me did not have EV charging points. You would think airports would have embraced EV charging points given as soon as you get back from holiday, you car would be charged up and ready to go.

rjs104 said:
Does anyone know of any chains of Hotels that have embraced EV's and offer charging points in their car parks?

They would make an ideal place to have charging points surely?

Cheers,

Richard.

Four Pillars has.

Taking up the space for charging weeks on end?
This is a problem isn't it? Would only work for onsite valet parking IMHO but would you trust your average valet CP with charging your vehicle :?: Bad enough trusting them to drive it.

Certainly for Gatwick, most of the valet CP's are far enough away from the airport that most of the range would be used up just getting the car back to the airport. :roll:

jaapv said:
Taking uup the space for charging weeks on end?

Schiphol Amsterdam has twelve free charging points.

But your car takes up space for "weeks on end" anyway in any airport car parking space (with or without electrical charging). That's what you pay for with airport parking. Having a few spaces with charging points means that the car parking operator could charge a little extra for these spaces.

Yes - but you would be taking up charging space for the next one. Those twelve at Schiphol are in the short-term parking and still often taken.

I see your point jaapv. Perhaps then (as maddogsetc says) at the moment the only way it would work at airports is in the valet car parks where the valet can park the car, charge it and then move it to another space to free up the charging spaces. I know one airport near me where the valet car parking is located on the airport site so it would be worth doing.

I have a holiday planned for next month and I was looking for charging points at the airport we were setting off from given it is an hour away from us (about 65 miles) on the motorway. I figured I would use the whole of the electric charge up driving to the airport. Perhaps we'll stop at a service station on the way back and I will do a fast charge (even though I know that is no good for the battery).

Apyds
Re charging at services in uk, how much is it going to cost for a phev do you think. I have no idea how charging works in uk and whether it will be worth it unless at home / friend's house etc. do you usually stick a credit card in the machine or do we have to join a scheme in advance? And presume the fast charge cable is attached to the machine?
Cheers
H

We've just been debating this precise question as we are flying next month. Conclusion I reached is that it's easier and will probably cost no less to book a cab in both directions and leave the car at home. Works for us as the airport is close, mightn't work for others of course.

apyds said:
I was surprised to see the three local airports near me did not have EV charging points. You would think airports would have embraced EV charging points given as soon as you get back from holiday, you car would be charged up and ready to go.

It's starting to happen! A few official airport owned and unofficial brands are popping up here and there, there's a good list here. https://www.cheapairportparking.co.uk/blog/travel-guides/ev-charging-uk-airports

APH seem to offer this service in a few locations, such as Gatwick and Manchester. Probably others do too. You leave your car with the company and they charge it. It's got to be better than returning to an empty battery,

jaapv said:
Taking uup the space for charging weeks on end?

Schiphol Amsterdam has twelve free charging points.

A quick google search shows many North American and European airports with hundreds of chargers. He's an article about LAX adding 1300 chargers.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/19/lax-adds-1300-ev-chargers-new-revamp/

Back