Is there a technical reason a Phev can't be flat towed, either in the off or ready state?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSnapid

We know it says you can't flat tow above 30kph in the manual. But whether that's just that Mitsubishi haven't extensively tested and therefore do not support it or if there's some technical limitation isn't clear.

It seems obvious to me that for a working car, in ready mode, flat towing is simply a long down hill.

Does anyone know (not guess) of a technical reason that we can't flat tow the phev with an A frame behind a motorhome. In my case, a 15t bus.

Then the discussion about using regen to assist with braking could possibly be had...

Mitsubishi uses permanent magnet electrical motors, which electrically unloaded generate very high voltages when towed. In off state there will be no control of these potentially damaging voltages.

Even in the 'Ready' mode, the risk may be that you'd overcharge the traction battery.

I'd be worried about the currents (and voltages) generated during a tow.

Probably towing a low, flat-bed trailer behind the motor home would be a better option.
(With the car on the trailer)

Mitsubishi motors said no towing with a rope or other way just flatbed recovery truck because of possible accidents or more damage if the car is a fault, if the car is faulty free you can do it but some safety systems recommend to turn off. here is some help on how to do it properly: https://carhoodsecrects.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-can-i-towing-and-hoisting/

kiss said:
Mitsubishi motors said no towing with a rope or other way just flatbed recovery truck because of possible accidents or more damage if the car is a fault, if the car is faulty free you can do it but some safety systems recommend to turn off. here is some help on how to do it properly: https://carhoodsecrects.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-can-i-towing-and-hoisting/

I had an accident with my 2020 the other day. Was going down a snowy hill and could not stop and it slid across the hwy and down an embankment. Everyone is safe and I think the airbags saved us from any injury other than a few scratches. But, what surprised me is that the tow company just hauled it out and took it to their yard without my keys. I think hauling a car like this out of a ditch with the brakes/transmission locked in park is probably not a good idea. I don't know. And don't really care since I'm pretty sure the car is a write-off and I'm now going to shop for a replacement. Only "gotcha" is that the replacement insurance coverage specifies that I need to get the same model, current year. Which means a 2013. And we all know how hard these are to get just now. I'm scrambling to get something in the interim ... fun times in the winter!

Quick question...

Did this accident occur while you had snow tyres and/or chains fitted?

I'm just wondering how much protection those things provide.

AndyInOz said:
Quick question...

Did this accident occur while you had snow tyres and/or chains fitted?

I'm just wondering how much protection those things provide.

My wife was driving into town for an appointment with the tire shop. Snow tires were in the back of the car :) Seriously, having snow tires might have made a difference, but I doubt it. The hill where this happened is very steep down to the main road and once your start sliding ... well, you know. Mind you, down where you are you probably have no idea of what it's like to drive on snow covered ice :) Just saw a post from my cousin in Brisbane lamenting the cold ... I told her to stop whining since it was -20C here :)

Yeah, snow is pretty rare here, although we had snow on Mount Lofty recently.

However we do have snow fields and skiing in winter (in Australia, not in South Australia).

Roads are more likely to melt, than freeze, where I live.

Back