Lemon or WTF holy crap what a story broken outlande 2022 with 6600 milesr purchase used

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SXR800Cougar

I have a friend in Australia that loves his PHEV and talked me into getting one.

I could not find any new PHEV anywhere. I decided to buy a used one out of Texas it was a 2022 with only 6,600 miles on it.. I am in UTAH. We had it shipped to us after the dealer did a walk around and said the car was perfect.

When we received it it was not perfect. It pulled hard to the right and there were issues. I looked under the car and saw that it was scraped along the bottom left side of the car. I thought dang shame on me..... but then it started to get cold and we turned on the heat and the heat does not work either.

Eventually within hours the antifreeze piping ruptured and sprayed antifreeze everywhere and it over heated. I started looking the car more and pulled a badvin on the car and it showed that it was sold out of arizona a few months prior with a flat right tire and missing bumper. The carfax showed no accident at all. So it had been in an accident.

The accident damaged the alinement and tie rod on the front passenger side.

We took it into the dealer and the found out the heating pipes were damaged and the heat pump was subsequently damaged as well. The dealer in texas has stepped up to the plate and repaired everything with mistubishi in Utah free of charge to us.

The current problem we have is that the heat pump is back ordered for 2 months and we live where it is cold and I don't know how to drive it in this cold without heat. What does the heat pump look like? How does it work? Does it have a motor that could have been damaged while the lines were crimped? is there something I can do to replace it until the heat pump comes in 2 months?

He said the heat pump is burned up.

The alignment is still out I believe the frame on the rear right tire is messed up creating the pulling we will take it to a body shop. The camber on the rear right tire is +0.08 and it is usually -0.03.

Hmm...

I thought a lemon was a car that was rubbish when it came off the assembly line.

A car that has been crashed, or worse case a 'cut and shut' is a totally different kettle of fish.

You are totally right but to me it is a lemon because I was not expecting any of this. The dealer said it was perfect. Who is going to buy a car with 6600 miles on it and find out it has that many problems when it is perfect and according to the dealer had never been in an accident.

Anyway do you have any info about the heat pump?

There is no heat pump. A heat pump is a refrigeration system working in reverse to provide heat instead of cool. The Outlander does of course have an air conditioning system with an electrically driven compressor, but it has nothing to do with the heating circuit and a loss of coolant (not refrigerant) would not affect it.

However along with the coolant pipes down the left hand side, there are I believe some refrigerant pipes that go to the rear of the car for battery/inverter cooling, so if they were damaged there is a possibility that the A/C had been run on low refrigerant and lost oil which could have damaged the A/C Compressor.

Who knows what they are really talking about, as using terms like heat pump is not at all helpful.

Thanks for the reply. That is the word he used. He said the heat pump has gone bag and was working intermitenly but now has completely gone out. It is in the core of the heating system. As of right now the heater blows cold air.

Do they mean the hot water pump?
The small electric water pump that is mounted on the back of the engine & pumps water through the electric under floor heater to the cabin heater matrix.
This pump won't survive very long if it has been run dry due to the loss of coolant/antifreeze.

pump.JPG

If that happened to me in UK I would asking for a refund for misrepresenting the car in the first instance. Is there some consumer protection law in your part of the world that protects buyers from being sold a 'lemon'?

There is a heat pump only on newer models 2023 (North America) All older models have an electric heating matrix and air conditioning system.
The fact that dealership is talking nonsense tells me it's not going to be an easy fix, unfortunately.

Back