Engine rough at low revs?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonLass

Has anyone experience a rough/gruff engine noise at low revs? When the battery is exhausted and running on engine its recently become quite noticeable. Car is due a service, so will mention it to them, but wondered if anyone else had experienced.

maby said:
Our engine is not sounding so great these days - after 30000 miles.

My PHEV has 124.000 km .. and I can't notice any strange noise ... anyhow .. it is hard to hear teh engine normally .. when it start by accident due to a extra push on the gas pedal .. I only notice it on the charging arrow on the dash ... same when it does start for heating ... but in this case I can here a bit when did revs up for provide in real time the electricity to the emotors ...

But it is really never loud .. unless it decide to go full RPM and in this case its noise is more evident

Maybe the oil is old ... or not perfect for the weather .. I'm using a 5W-30 Eneos Utra Multi ... not sure was my impression but at full RPM with this oil is quieter then with Eneos Premius Ultra 5W-30

elm70 said:
maby said:

My PHEV has 124.000 km .. and I can't notice any strange noise ... anyhow .. it is hard to hear teh engine normally .. when it start by accident due to a extra push on the gas pedal .. I only notice it on the charging arrow on the dash ... same when it does start for heating ... but in this case I can here a bit when did revs up for provide in real time the electricity to the emotors ...

But it is really never loud .. unless it decide to go full RPM and in this case its noise is more evident

Maybe the oil is old ... or not perfect for the weather .. I'm using a 5W-30 Eneos Utra Multi ... not sure was my impression but at full RPM with this oil is quieter then with Eneos Premius Ultra 5W-30

Interesting, hadn't thought of the oil, with only two dealer stamps in the book I presumed it would be correct. Car is in sunny Glasgow ... it isn't *that* cold ...

LondonLass said:
maby said:

It purrs along at any speed other than slow ... mileage is ~26k

Is it related to the engine temperature? Ours is noisy when cold, but calms down when it gets up to running temperature. I know that this is true of all engines, but our PHEV really does sound rough for the first five or ten minutes - more so than I remember of other cars with 30,000 on the clock. It's currently about 5000 miles into a service.

maby said:
LondonLass said:
maby said:

It purrs along at any speed other than slow ... mileage is ~26k

Is it related to the engine temperature? Ours is noisy when cold, but calms down when it gets up to running temperature. I know that this is true of all engines, but our PHEV really does sound rough for the first five or ten minutes - more so than I remember of other cars with 30,000 on the clock. It's currently about 5000 miles into a service.

Don't think so ... happens at end of journey once battery is depleted and engine is warmed up.

Hello!

Old thread but I have the same problem on our outlander Phev 2017,
Very rough engine running, felt in the steering wheel and pedals at low revs on the petrol engine,
Also feels pulsating vibrations at high revs at e.g. towing of trailers.
Did you find a problem that could be solved on your car?
Our workshop can't find anything wrong with our car.

Back