How long take the pre-heat your car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phevanna

Hi guys,

I recently got a 2016 GX4h and I am trying to get the car to pre-heat in the morning using the remote climate.
As I dont have the app on my phone, it only turn on the heating system for 10 minutes, but looks like it isnt enough time or maybe there is another problem on my electric heating system.

I wonder if you guys could share how long takes your car to heat in the morning using the remote climate, is 10 minutes enough?

Thanks

10 minutes should be fine unless the temperature is exceedingly low: we used it in -12C last winter and it was fine.

The problem we had was that it depleted the drive battery - it draws up to 4kW initially, which is far more than the 2.4kW granny could provide for a full-ish battery, and more even than the 3.6kW charger can provide. But if you leave it longer, the heater power usage drops and gives the charger a chance to "catch up". I tend to heat for 10 or 20 minutes and then leave it for a further 5 minutes to recharge the battery. Of course the car cools a bit, so it's a trade off between temperature and range.

ThudnBlundr said:
10 minutes should be fine unless the temperature is exceedingly low: we used it in -12C last winter and it was fine.

The problem we had was that it depleted the drive battery - it draws up to 4kW initially, which is far more than the 2.4kW granny could provide for a full-ish battery, and more even than the 3.6kW charger can provide. But if you leave it longer, the heater power usage drops and gives the charger a chance to "catch up". I tend to heat for 10 or 20 minutes and then leave it for a further 5 minutes to recharge the battery. Of course the car cools a bit, so it's a trade off between temperature and range.

Thank you, very helpful

Many Outlanders had sand left in the engine block casting which can block the coolant/heater pipework. You may have been a victim of this and have very poor coolant flow rate through your internal heater.

I have a 2022 and find 10 minutes just warms the car a little. Not really noticeable unless it's quite cold. It does sort of "prime" the heater though and find it's ready to give good heat as soon as I get in.

But when I set it for 20 mins... it's like an oven when I get in the car, haha! Really wish they had a 15 min setting!!

Plugged into my level 2 charger, I can get into a warm car that is also fully charged.

I find that if I pre-heat my car, the battery won't be fully charged. How long do you need to stop the heating to give the charger time to fully charge the car?

IslandLife said:
I have a 2022 and find 10 minutes just warms the car a little. Not really noticeable unless it's quite cold. It does sort of "prime" the heater though and find it's ready to give good heat as soon as I get in.

But when I set it for 20 mins... it's like an oven when I get in the car, haha! Really wish they had a 15 min setting!!

Plugged into my level 2 charger, I can get into a warm car that is also fully charged.

Set the 20 minutes timer 15 minutes before you're going to get in then?!

juliogdiana said:
Hi guys,

I recently got a 2016 GX4h and I am trying to get the car to pre-heat in the morning using the remote climate.
As I dont have the app on my phone, it only turn on the heating system for 10 minutes, but looks like it isnt enough time or maybe there is another problem on my electric heating system.

I wonder if you guys could share how long takes your car to heat in the morning using the remote climate, is 10 minutes enough?

Thanks

Without the app, how are you starting the remote heating at all? My app is very temperamental so if there's another way of starting the heating that would be great.

Ah yes. That's great if you have a regular departure time. I wondered if there was a way via key presses or something. In fact IIRC in the back of my mind is a different key in some markets with an additional button for it. I need to revisit that research perhaps.

Is this safe to do in enclosed space/garage? Any scenario where the engine would start using remote climate control?

davidh said:
Is this safe to do in enclosed space/garage? Any scenario where the engine would start using remote climate control?

No, it just won't work if there isn't enough battery power available. If the cars thinks it needs to start the engine, it just won't work.

Back