Heating not working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tug

Hi. I have an VRX 2, registered 2014. I had the starter battery replaced at the Mitsubishi dealership about two months ago and since then I noticed that the heating wasn't working.

If I run the car on SAVE or CHARGE then it will eventually generate some heat, but not when I put it at a normal temperature. The aircon seems to be working ok and I'm not getting any other warning lights.

I contacted the dealership to see whether the battery replacement could have caused this, e.g. something was reset or needed resetting afterwards, but I got a rather disinterested 'no'.

I'm taking it to our local small garage soon to have it scanned but I wondered whether anyone here had any ideas?

Any thoughts?

Get your garage to check the coolant filter in the heater hose is not blocked with sediment. This is a very common cause with heating problems on the PHEV

Hi
Looks like the filter is blocked but needs to flush out the system but many reasons is why not to heat just the little help here: https://carhoodsecrects.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-heating-problem-without-ptc-heater/

Thanks for the replies. Since I posted I had the fault scanned and it came up with an 'electric water pump' malfunction code. We reset it but the heating still didn't work and the fault code came back again.

The garage, which isn't familiar with the car or EVs, asked whether my 2014 VRX has 2 separate heating systems, i.e. one which runs when the car is running off the EV battery, and one which runs off the combustion engine. The reason for this question is that the heating only works when the petrol engine is engaged, e.g. when I active SAVE or CHARGE, and not when the car is running off the EV battery. I've tried looking online for an answer and in the manual but can't find a definitive answer.

It still puzzles me that the fault only occurred after the car had a new starter battery installed. Was that just a co-incidence??

Any thoughts?

Hi.

Maybe a co-incidence.

I think all models except the basic "3h" have an electric cabin heater.
If you have cabin heating when the engine is running & no heat when in EV mode, I'd check the pump, but before you go any further, firstly make sure that there's not air in the pipework around the electric pump. The pump will get really noisy is it is running dry.

The small electric water pump mounted on the firewall behind the engine.
This recirculates the water when the engine is not running. These pumps do fail.
As stated previously, the gauze filter is prone to getting blocked. This is hidden inside the pipe above the pump.
If the gauze filter is completely blocked, you won't get any cabin heat.

1.JPG

3.JPG

Then there is a water bypass valve. This is mounted on the rear of the engine. These too can fail.

4.JPG

2.JPG

8.JPG

The electric water heater is under the floor beneath the passenger seat.

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Lots of useful information here:
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander_iii/online/Service_Manual_2013/2016/index_M1.htm

And here:
https://www.richi.uk/p/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-faq.html#phevfaqQ

Thanks for the drawings, really helps me understand what to look for in the car.
I started earlier today by cleaning the in-tube filter, but that wasn’t really dirty to begin with. After placing the filter back, I opened the bleeder plug, but even after pinching the hoses a couple of times, not coolant came out. Come to think of it, I haven’t checked the coolant level in the EV circuit, assuming ICE and EV are fed out of the same container
So next three things to look at are
-EV coolant level
-4way valve
-coolant pump (I did notice a vibration in the hose between coolant pump and heating unit but am not sure whether the pump is blocked or running)

Do I have to bleed the entire coolant system when removing the pump and/or 4way valve? Or can they be removed without spilling too much coolant?

Hello bruises
I have heating from electric but not from my ICE.
I have cleaned the filter (not a lot of debris there) and bled the pipe attached .
I am about to dismantle the 4 way valve but have been told that there is a vent flap actuator which can fail leaving the engine heater blowing cold air. So nothing to do with coolant or thermostat or valves.
Does anyone know about this actuator.? I believe that the dashboard has to come of to access it . I can't find anything on line other than second hand actuators for sale.

brownted

Thanks for the drawings, really helps me understand what to look for in the car.
I started earlier today by cleaning the in-tube filter, but that wasn’t really dirty to begin with. After placing the filter back, I opened the bleeder plug, but even after pinching the hoses a couple of times, not coolant came out. Come to think of it, I haven’t checked the coolant level in the EV circuit, assuming ICE and EV are fed out of the same container
So next three things to look at are
-EV coolant level
-4way valve
-coolant pump (I did notice a vibration in the hose between coolant pump and heating unit but am not sure whether the pump is blocked or running)

Do I have to bleed the entire coolant system when removing the pump and/or 4way valve? Or can they be removed without spilling too much coolant?
Hi Did you manage to sort out your PHEV? I am at the same stage as you were when you made this post.
Thanks

To diagnose and fix your heating issue, you need to carry out some steps:

1. There could be stuck airflaps. To reset/fix this, you need to put the car into ACC2 mode, push AUTO on the HVAC controls, and then press the MODE button 20 times, pausing for about 5 seconds between each press.

2. If this doesn't help, the cabin temperature sensor might be blocked with fluff/dust, and/or other stuff. It's located behind the gashes on the dashboard near the steering column. You can clean that with a compressed air can.

3. The cabin heater matrix might be blocked. You can check on YouTube to learn how to fix this or find a garage to do it for you.

4. The 4-way valve might be blocked. You can check on YouTube to learn how to fix this or find a garage to do it for you.

5. If none of the above fixes the issue with heating, you are probably looking at a broken electric heater or electric pump, especially if it heats fine from the engine.

Similar issues with mine, again. I have the 2.4 late 2018 model. I have had this problem before and the dealer in the UK flushed and cleaned the system. They wanted several hundred pounds until I argued it was still under warranty. Now I am out of warranty and the issue has started again, heaters ok with the engine running, not great though and then goes cold in electric mode only. Thinking it may have a blockage once more?

Back