Comparing the PHEV with a Tesla Model Y.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi folks,

Just want to share my thoughts on my new Model Y compared to my PHEV 2019 which I still own. It might help others if you are considering what's it like to make that first leap to a full EV.

But first why a full EV and why a Tesla Model Y for my family? I have always considered the charging network for travelling here in Australia to be mostly unsuitable for my use but this is starting to change now. Now the plug and charge capability and the amount of stalls of the supercharging network also pushed me towards Tesla. The Model Y is also comparable in size to the PHEV.

So the things I don't like about the Model Y:

Worse unnecessary braking on adaptive cruise control. The steering rack ratio is too low IMO. Hard to use the main central touch screen while moving ( a lot of functions that normally have buttons on the PHEV are on the screen). Turn signal on the wrong side like some European cars I have driven. Accelerator pedal too sensitive. Charging takes longer than just filling up with petrol on trips. No paddles to adjust regen. Auto wipers and auto dimming headlights not good enough yet.

Things I do like about the Model Y:

Better acceleration. Drive battery liquid cooled. Far better EV range. Cheaper on demand servicing (I hope). Cheaper running costs for me so far (Model Y is more aerodynamically efficient I think). Proper 1 pedal driving. Profiles setup for each driver and by using your phone to unlock car sets up seat, mirrors and steering wheel to your memorised position. Better app for your phone. Over the air software updates. Auto pilot is helpful but I can "pilot" :lol: the car better manually.

Now this is just my opinion and after such a short ownership of the Model Y. Over the air updates may improve some of these things I don't like. Ask those questions if you need more information and I hope it helps some here.

Regards Trex.

Interesting - thanks for taking the time to share.

Now we've both retired, we're looking at what we need in the way of cars. Our 65k-mile ZOE is now down to 55 miles in winter, and our 92k-mile PHEV is down to 12 miles on the GOM. Our problem is that we still want to travel around mainland Europe occasionally, and the charging infrastructure still seemed a bit patchy when we drove to Switzerland and back, then the Italian Dolomites via a week in Austria and back earlier this year. I think the only EV we could safely replace both cars would be a Tesla, purely for the superchargers. One alternative is to get something smaller and simply use the PHEV purely for longer trips. Another is to get a newer PHEV from a different manufacturer.

Decisions, decisions...

ThudnBlundr said:
Interesting - thanks for taking the time to share.

Your welcome.

ThudnBlundr said:
Now we've both retired, we're looking at what we need in the way of cars. Our 65k-mile ZOE is now down to 55 miles in winter, and our 92k-mile PHEV is down to 12 miles on the GOM. Our problem is that we still want to travel around mainland Europe occasionally, and the charging infrastructure still seemed a bit patchy when we drove to Switzerland and back, then the Italian Dolomites via a week in Austria and back earlier this year. I think the only EV we could safely replace both cars would be a Tesla, purely for the superchargers. One alternative is to get something smaller and simply use the PHEV purely for longer trips. Another is to get a newer PHEV from a different manufacturer.

Decisions, decisions...

Ok if I was in the same situation as you and looking at maybe replacing 2 cars with 1 I would probably sell the PHEV and keep the Tesla.

Costs of ownership would probably push it that way for me plus 2nd hand values for Teslas or even EV cars in general, at least here in Australia at the moment, seem to be better than the PHEV or any standard consumer ICE cars I think.

From the videos online I have seen many people are taking their EVs into so many unusual places these days including travelling around Australia in 14 days with just 1 driver. :eek:

I am in a perfect situation to comment on this comparison. We purchased a new Mitsi Outlander PHEV in July this year and have now covered 6700 km in it. The MY 2023 model is a significant improvement over the previous model and I am still absolutely delighted with the purchase and it is providing all the positives we bargained on when we made the purchasing decision. In September our son and family who live on the same property with us took delivery of their new Model Y Tesla. In have driven the Tesla about 500 km - Yes, it has better straight line performance, but the single large screen command centre is quite impractical. After enjoying the excellent heads up display in the outlander, I am surprised the Tesla have not provided this feature, particularly considering the centre display for speed etc. For my 72 year old bones I find the Tesla ride too sporting and firm. The 440 km range is realistically closer to 300 km and with fast charging stations charging 85c / Kwh, it is cheaper to drive the Mitsi in hybrid mode on petrol than the Tesla. The Mitsi is not as quiet, but is much more comfortable and being a PHEV the term "range anxiety" does not exist. In our case, in New Zealand, both cars are almost the same exact purchase price once clean car discounts have been applied. Our PHEV is the NZ spec VRX top spec model $75,990 less $5750 clean car rebate and the Tesla was $78,900 less clean car rebate $8625. The Tesla is a fun drive but as an everyday user friendly vehicle the Outlander is out in front in my opinion.

Nut17 said:
I am in a perfect situation to comment on this comparison. We purchased a new Mitsi Outlander PHEV in July this year and have now covered 6700 km in it. The MY 2023 model is a significant improvement over the previous model and I am still absolutely delighted with the purchase and it is providing all the positives we bargained on when we made the purchasing decision. In September our son and family who live on the same property with us took delivery of their new Model Y Tesla. In have driven the Tesla about 500 km - Yes, it has better straight line performance, but the single large screen command centre is quite impractical. After enjoying the excellent heads up display in the outlander, I am surprised the Tesla have not provided this feature, particularly considering the centre display for speed etc. For my 72 year old bones I find the Tesla ride too sporting and firm. The 440 km range is realistically closer to 300 km and with fast charging stations charging 85c / Kwh, it is cheaper to drive the Mitsi in hybrid mode on petrol than the Tesla. The Mitsi is not as quiet, but is much more comfortable and being a PHEV the term "range anxiety" does not exist. In our case, in New Zealand, both cars are almost the same exact purchase price once clean car discounts have been applied. Our PHEV is the NZ spec VRX top spec model $75,990 less $5750 clean car rebate and the Tesla was $78,900 less clean car rebate $8625. The Tesla is a fun drive but as an everyday user friendly vehicle the Outlander is out in front in my opinion.

Glad you are happy with your purchase. Wife and 2 adult sons and I tested the new model PHEV and the Model Y on the same day and after we all drove them we all considered the Model Y to be better for us. That smooth and quiet, and the acceleration, and like you said "fun drive" of the Model Y won us over in the end.

I replied to you in another thread:

Nut17 said:
I am still very happy with my purchase and have been able to compare with an almost identically priced Tesla Model Y that our son has recently purchased. The only benefit of the Tesla is the amazing acceleration!! And this is only the single motor RWD model - Range EPA 440km - reality nearer 300km is the killer for me. Roadside fast chargers are 85c / KWH I can run the PHEV cheaper when in hybrid mode!!

Trex said:
Sold my oldest 2014 PHEV, still have my later model PHEV, for a Model Y over a month ago.

Tesla's Superchargers here that I have used are 68 or 69c/kWh.

But when you look at that 1st "300kms" that can be charged up at home at off peak, which is 15c/kWh for me, it helps reduce that cost for trips.

The Tesla is cheaper to run than the PHEV for me so far.

Just got my 2019 PHEV drive battery recalibrated (DBCAM) then took it for drive around town to recalibrate the GOM, all 60kph and lower zones, and checked the efficiency and saw 15kW/100kms. The Tesla Model Y can achieve that doing 100kph on the freeway. Amazing. :eek:

But will run the same loop with the Model Y later and see what I get as there is a lot of slowing and accelerating etc which maybe skewing the result.

Trex said:
Just got my 2019 PHEV drive battery recalibrated (DBCAM) then took it for drive around town to recalibrate the GOM, all 60kph and lower zones, and checked the efficiency and saw 15kW/100kms. The Tesla Model Y can achieve that doing 100kph on the freeway. Amazing. :eek:

But will run the same loop with the Model Y later and see what I get as there is a lot of slowing and accelerating etc which maybe skewing the result.
Ok did the same loop at the same time of day with the Model Y but had some unexpected heavy rain (wipers maxed out) 1/2 way through. At end of drive saw 10.7kW/100kms but was seeing high 9 low 10 till the rain hit.

As much as I love my PHEV I have to admit the Tesla's better efficiency is quite noticeable IMO.

mellobob said:
Nothing like comparing apples and oranges. I've not checked the specs ... but I think that the PHEV has a lot more weight to move around.

I already considered those weight variables to try and explain the Model Y's efficiency. Sorry but my PHEV is 28kgs lighter ie my Model Y is heavier.

mellobob said:
Plus, it's shaped like a brick.

I don't think we should be letting Mitsubishi's willingness to shape a car like a "brick" be an excuse. Do you?

Back