Carmageddon

Re: Should I buy a used phev or new (2023)?

ontheroad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:24 pm Thanks for all the details, it's very helpful info. I won't be towing anything and I'm not too bothered by the cheaper interior quality (as long as the faux leather seats look nice and are comfortable. But 26-31 km of electric range is a bit concerning because my wife's daily commute is nearly 50 km. I was hoping I'd get close to that on a fully charged battery during the warmer months and then maybe 25 km during the winter.

How many L/100 km do you typically get on long distance drives? I know the specs state 9 L/100 km but I'm hoping it can do better than that with some skillful use of the hybrid features - EV charge then use EV only, then charge some more, etc....

And will it stay in EV mode at high speeds (110-120 km/h)?

Thanks!
The leather seats are nice and comfortable, no doubt about it - despite not having adjustable lumbar support for the driver (I have it on my 19 Kona) - feels very good even on long drives.

I've seen 3 usd exemplars of the car from 18 to 19, and they all displayed range between 26 to 31 km - that isn't precise, you should be aware that actual range highly depends on whether it is mostly highway driving, city or traffic commute.
Speeds over 80km/hr in EV mode suck the life out of the battery (wind resistance requires more power), and on the other hand, slow city traffic with proper driving, can regenerate a lot of the energy, so you'd get much more like 40km+ on EV mode.

I can give you an example of one of my regular routes:
My daughter's gymnastics is 18.7km away via the highway (plus some elevations that sap energy). leaving at full charge, I am able to get there at full EV mode but a couple km on my way back, running out and gas kicks in - by the time I get back home after 37km or so, my gas average is around 3.5 L/100km. If I charge 1.5 hours before heading out again (using max charging as L2 charger), by the time I make the same commute again, I think I average around 5 L/100km. If I dont charge, I think it's about 5.5-6 L/100km or something like that.

My wife doesn't care as much and she turns on AC/heat and heating when she feels like it, and that sucks powers even faster than the above numbers I mentioned.

My recommendation to you is this, if the significant bulk of the driving is going to be your wife's 50km commute (each way? both ways? can she charge at work?) and you can do it mostly electric, enough so that the average gas mileage would be around 3L/100km, then its a good choice, but if its actual 50km each way of highway speeds, no charging at work available or planned, then look for the 2023 Outlander PHEV, it will satisfy your requirements much better.

Another option for 50km commute each way if SUV is not requirement, is the discontinued Chevy Volt - 2018-19 had a very good range and 8 year powertrain/battery warranty, I think you'll get it mostly electric then.

But if the main commute is 25km each way, part of it is in congested slow traffic - those are ideal for maxing out the short PHEV EV range, then the Outlander PHEV will do fine :)

The big advantage is that it feels like an EV - with instant torque, smooth driving etc, without paying the current high premium of a full EV.
Carmageddon

Daixiwen wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:54 am About the cheap prices.... When I bought mine (a 4 years old model 2016) there were a lot of PHEVs of that age on the market because there is a big and expensive service that must be done at 4 years, and some owners want to get rid of their car before that. I negotiated with the dealer for a free service if I bought the car (or rather that the service was included in the sales price ;) )
I know that Mitsubishi doesn't have the same service schedule in Canada and Europe, but it may still be a good idea to ask about that before you buy the car, it could be one of the reasons why you can find so many cars at reasonable prices.

Please tell us the details, I am very interested to know.
https://www.surreymitsubishi.ca/outland ... r-menu.htm
I don't see anything here that stands out as a reason to sell before some expensive milestone!
I actually see that oil change is only once every 24k km!
ontheroad

My wife's drive is 22 km in each direction, so 44 km in total - not hwy driving but most of it is 80-90 km/h. I don't think she can plug in at work but at least she'll get there without gas. We do like to do longer trips, however - say a 4-5 hour drive on the hwy going 120 km/h. Any idea what our fuel consumption might be then?

That maintenance schedule you provided a link to looks pretty intensive; is the requirement to service the car at a Mitsubishi dealership forcing you to pay for things you wouldn't have otherwise?
Carmageddon

ontheroad wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:41 pm My wife's drive is 22 km in each direction, so 44 km in total - not hwy driving but most of it is 80-90 km/h. I don't think she can plug in at work but at least she'll get there without gas. We do like to do longer trips, however - say a 4-5 hour drive on the hwy going 120 km/h. Any idea what our fuel consumption might be then?

That maintenance schedule you provided a link to looks pretty intensive; is the requirement to service the car at a Mitsubishi dealership forcing you to pay for things you wouldn't have otherwise?
yes, 22km @ 80-90km/hr on EV is probably doable.
The car comes with a regular 110v Level 1 charger, if she can find any outlet she can plug into, the battery can charge fully in 9 hours I think @ 12 amps power.
I suggest to check out the map of the area on plugshare app - filter for J1772, CHAdeMO and Wall Outlet type of plug along with ticking off "Requires Fee" , it's possible there are free chargers or plugs she is not aware of.
I was going from Toronto to Halifax (about 1800km) when I bought the car, mostly highway driving @120km/hr with 4 winter tires tied up on a roof rack basket adding in wind resistance drag - I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think they were about ~11L/100km? Sorry I don't remember, did not note it down. I know it was crazy number when towing a trailer to PEI, was more like 20 I think lol

There's no such requirements - I did ask and was told that servicing at the dealership is not required to maintaining the warranty. I've been doing the routing maintenance at my usual garage where I am also serving the Kona - Hyundai also told me at the time I can service anywhere doesn't have to be the dealership.
I don't think the list is extensive, if you saw the Kona list in the manual... lol there is so much less stuff to inspect - no transmission being the biggest one, but the rest look like routine inspection of various parts. They only mention oil replacement every 24k which I intend to check, because I've been doing the oil change every 8K so far..
Daixiwen

Carmageddon wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:41 pm Please tell us the details, I am very interested to know.
I don't see anything here that stands out as a reason to sell before some expensive milestone!
I will have to find out the details, the the schedule is definitely different in Europe. We have one service every 12 months / 20000 km, with a more expensive one at 4 years, and a really more expensive one at 160000 km.
Carmageddon

Daixiwen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:48 am
Carmageddon wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:41 pm Please tell us the details, I am very interested to know.
I will have to find out the details, the the schedule is definitely different in Europe. We have one service every 12 months / 20000 km, with a more expensive one at 4 years, and a really more expensive one at 160000 km.
Thanks.
All those inconsistencies only serve to reinforce my decision that I'll never buy a non-Tesla car ever again..
Giving different maintenance schedules for the same car to different markets? Different tow ratings? Tesla doesn't do those shenanigans.
littlescrote

Carmageddon wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:41 pm
Please tell us the details, I am very interested to know.
Valve clearance checks IIRC as this engine does not have automatic hydraulic adjustment!
nrayanov

ontheroad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:24 pm Thanks for all the details, it's very helpful info. I won't be towing anything and I'm not too bothered by the cheaper interior quality (as long as the faux leather seats look nice and are comfortable. But 26-31 km of electric range is a bit concerning because my wife's daily commute is nearly 50 km. I was hoping I'd get close to that on a fully charged battery during the warmer months and then maybe 25 km during the winter.

How many L/100 km do you typically get on long distance drives? I know the specs state 9 L/100 km but I'm hoping it can do better than that with some skillful use of the hybrid features - EV charge then use EV only, then charge some more, etc....

And will it stay in EV mode at high speeds (110-120 km/h)?

Thanks!
If your wife's daily commute is 50 KMs you should get the new Outlander PHEV because it has roughly 60 KMs of range (goes down to 50 KMs in cold weather). The RAV4 PRIME is also an option, but... it's smaller and the 4WD of the Outlander is much better.
mikedufty

There was an earlier question about staying in EV mode at high speed. The 2020 model definitely does, and also has an "EV mode" button, which will encourage it to stay in EV mode even more, although I think the main difference is you can accellerate more aggressively without the engine starting.
I think some of the 2017-19 models also have this.

Our 2020 would not be likely to handle a 50km commute on pure EV unless speeds were under 80kph.
So I'd think the 2022 would suit you, if you can get one. One reason I got the 2nd hand 2020 is it is a bit difficult to get hold of the new model in Australia. The other reason is it was half the price.
mikepotts64

mikedufty wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:52 pm There was an earlier question about staying in EV mode at high speed. The 2020 model definitely does, and also has an "EV mode" button, which will encourage it to stay in EV mode even more, although I think the main difference is you can accelerate more aggressively without the engine starting.
I think some of the 2017-19 models also have this.

Our 2020 would not be likely to handle a 50km commute on pure EV unless speeds were under 80kph.
So I'd think the 2022 would suit you, if you can get one. One reason I got the 2nd hand 2020 is it is a bit difficult to get hold of the new model in Australia. The other reason is it was half the price.
My 2021 GSR PHEV does a 92km Motorway trip each way 3 days a week to office. (45,000km in the first year of ownership). I get 48km down the motorway before the 10kW of storage runs out. (@ 110km/h). Average EV usage for the 45,000km from PHEVwatchdog app is 80% EV / 20% fuel. Average consumption for that trip is 3.1lt/100km. Drive settings - normal, Aircon off when temperate enough, B5 or adaptive cruise (B2) depending on traffic. 10amp charge in 4.5 hours at home and work.

Occasional long distance drives 900km mostly motorway returns ~6-7lt/100km (2 fast charges to 80% for 20 minutes each enroute yields the lower number).

All local running 0lt/100kms charged from Home Solar/Tesla battery.
2021 PHEV GSR Outlander, Australia.

Return to “News and Main Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum Discussions”