Replacement 12v battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow the links here to Richi's amazon shop where he had a link to the correct battery.

otherwise, in the UK I recommend getting batteries from Tayna. Very good service, prices and quick delivery.

littlescrote said:
Follow the links here to Richi's amazon shop where he had a link to the correct battery.

otherwise, in the UK I recommend getting batteries from Tayna. Very good service, prices and quick delivery.

Richi's link (on page 2) does indeed lead to this battery as being suitable - HOWEVER, there are numerous posts from people who were told it would fit their car (not PHEVs) but in fact did not - so website owners don't really know and there is no formal compatibility lists to show it does fit our hybrid. There are also comments from all over Europe, so this is probably just a third party on-line retailer, not a real supplier.

NB. Handbook specification is for 36Ah and the original OP (page 1) got his replacement from Kwickfit for not much more - so knew it was suitable before driving away. :cool:

Many batteries will fit in the Outlander PHEV as long as the connectors have the same size as the original.
You might have to fiddle around to get the expansion hose to fit properly.

In the Netherlands Mitsubishi charges an insane amount of money to change the 12V battery (I believe over 500 euro!) so finding a fitting replacement and replacing it yourself is highly recommended!

Many will fit, but it doesn't mean they are safe!!!! Because it's mounted underneath the rear boot floor, it is treated as being an internal battery, so has to meet stricter standards than ones mounted in the boot or engine bay.

what do you mean by if wifi module is turned on. what wifi module ? are you talking about? i dont understand and i have a 2020 phev and the 12 v battery went flat on its own after 3 days of no charging main battery

plus a new battery is extremely expensive like $450 dollars canadian or more , it is not an ordinary battery. If you install an ordinary battery you expose yourself to bad vapor inside the cabin when charging. Not a good idea. I do whish mitsubishi should be well aware there is a problem and fix it with software update like scheduling mor than one charge a day throught the main battery. My car is a 2020 outlander and I already have suffered a major shut down due to critical low 12 v battery. I only purchased this outlander one year ago ,in order to wait for more performing and cheaper EV. So I am very surprised the a 2 year old model already has battery problem. If a new battery only cost
around 150 dollars I would not even talk about it but at 450 not installed it is hyway robery and buying a outlander may make you save on gas but it becomes totally unpleasent to worry if your car will start tomorrow or not, in fact it is total incompetance from mitsubishi to have no reasonable solution for this problem, and if so I would not recommend that anybody buy one.

as yet I've not had an issue with the 12v battery, but being a new owner and of an early 2019 2.4L 4HS PHEV the state of health of the lead battery is on my radar esp during winter months, been there with regular ICE's often enough at this time of year. My daughter's 2018 2.4L 4H so far also has been fine but I'm conscious that we may both need to look at replacing them in the next year or so. I do tend to leave a LiPo jump started kit in the boot tho, just in case.

So pre-empting the problem a touch I was wondering if anyone has used a LiFePo4 battery in place of the OEM AGM battery? These days a 12v 36AH LiFePo4 isn't all that much more expensive, non-gassing and in theory a drop-in replacement for a lead battery. Downside tho could be the terminal differences and max current draw in this application?

I know this is an old thread, but my 2018 outlander phev battery prevented the car from starting today in cold weather. Battery size searches (where u enter the vehicle year model, etc) turn up nothing. (Or "Go to dealer" messages).

I was looking at the battery and it seems nearly identical in size to a Group 51R battery. Which are plentiful and cheap (Walmart sells them for about $100.). Any reason I can't put that in as a replacement? The OEM battery is $300+, and that's just the part. Don't want to know what the dealer charges for parts &labor.

I know this is an old thread, but my 2018 outlander phev battery prevented the car from starting today in cold weather. Battery size searches (where u enter the vehicle year model, etc) turn up nothing. (Or "Go to dealer" messages).

I was looking at the battery and it seems nearly identical in size to a Group 51R battery. Which are plentiful and cheap (Walmart sells them for about $100.). Any reason I can't put that in as a replacement? The OEM battery is $300+, and that's just the part. Don't want to know what the dealer charges for parts &labor.
I decided to reread the thread and have decided on a generic 51R AGM battery. It's $250, but battery off-gassing in cabin doesn't sound good. I'll report back.

In Canada here, I just installed a group 51R from Canadian Tire into my 2018 PHEV. The vent hole was an exact match for the hose too. The youtube video of installing a Bosche with a different tube looked like a nightmare. Price was about half what the stealer-ship wanted to charge for a Yuasa battery. Also as it is Canadian Tire I know it was actually designed for our cold weather...

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...tery-500-cca-0105120p.0105120.html?rq=51R#srp

Looks very similar to the original one. I'm glad you had this sorted out. The price of the one you shared is good as well.

Back