drive battery running to end of life

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaquin3421

I purchased, second hand, a MY 2014 with battery supposedly at 94% SOH. From first day it started to drop and after one year it is at 48% and still running donward quite fast. I estimate that it will reach the 25% level in about ten more months.
I would welcome any help on any of these questions:
1.- The battery was at least 4 years old and 100000km when I purchaed it with a SOH reading of 94%, likely result of a BMU reset as I realize now. Do you know of anybody who could have a true 94% SOH after 4 years and 100.000kms?
2.- Any experience or information on what happens when the battery SOH goes below a given value (ie 20-25%)?. Can the car work as a plane hybrid? will it stop and require a battery replacement?

Individual cells of the battery are already being replaced in certain services and places. Replacing the whole battery is not only very expensive but also not necessary.

4 years old 100k on it... in any universe that's not possible. I doubt a few months old will read 94% SOH.
No question about it, BMU reset to intentionally show high SOH.
Driving with this fake reset was damaging the battery even more that it was before the reset. :cry:

Did you buy it privately or a dealership?

Thanks for the comments, it was a private seller. I am considering going to court anyway my problem is that even if I get a partial compensation, with the quick degradation, likely result of the BMU reset and the "invasion " of the 25% safety margin, In will reach this 25% level in less than one year and I am not sure this car can run at all with this level of battery.
A battery replacement in Sapin costs in excess of 9000 eur. Do you have any link to alternative sellers?
I searched online but there are a few used batteries on ebay, but the cost of purchaes plus transport and installation is too high compared with the little guarantees you get about their condition. Ther is a company, evshop, who has modules on its online catalogo but out of stock for long time.
I am already experiencing some symptoms that could be caused by a degradd battery, in particular an intermittent regen brake with sometime full lops of the of regen even with battery below 50% charge.
Has anybody driven this car with soh below 25%?

Hi, I live in Madrid Spain, purchased the car from a private seller, apparently a very nice guy who had been extremely carfefull taking care of the car.. Mileage was high, 250K but he showed tp me a Phev Watchdog screenshot showing thet the battery was at 94,3%, (37,7Ah), then after purchase it started to drop very quickly...

I never heard of vehicle with 25% SOH on the battery but doubt it will prevent it being operational. You are loosing all advantages of the vehicle though.
What I suggest is do an proper DBCAM with vehicle actual mileage and battery age written it to the BMU.
Beside finding your battery actual condition the service centre doing it will be able to give you information when the previous reset was done - how long before the sale.

Wow... I think you'd have a good case for fraud. Not sure what your small claims process is like in Spain, but I think there's more than enough evidence available that this guy did the MBU reset with the specific intention to mislead you into thinking it had a healthy battery when it very obviously did not (obvious to him). I would for sure pursue this. Maybe let him know ahead of time, talk about all the evidence you have and see if he's willing to give some of your money back before you take him to court.

Question for other members... is there a reliable way to tell if someone has done this? To me, it would have been obvious that it would be impossible for a 2014 to have a battery with a SOH as high as 94%... but that's only because I know these vehicles. To someone brand new to them, it would be fairly easy to defraud them.

Yes, even PHEV Watchdog will show when the reset was done and what was the state of health before that.

Back