Avon ZX7 Tyres - A Salutory Lesson

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladevane

Back in 2019 with a fair few miles on my PHEV (approaching 50k) I was looking for replacement tyres. So I researched and, to cut a long story short, homed in on Avon ZX7. I replaced the original Toyo tyres which had done very nearly 52,000 miles and at the same time impressed me with their longevity. Fast forward to last week when the Low Tire Pressure Warning lamp illuminated. This was due to the right rear being at 25 psi. So I pumped it up and 2 days later got the same warning. Pumped it up to 40 psi and monitored it. The tyre seems to be losing about 2-3 psi per day. Today I had it checked out for a slow puncure and the tyre guy told me the tyres were perishing and that the only safe solution was a replacement tyre or go for all 4 before the MOT in June. But the Avons have only done 23k, I told him. Yes, he replied, Avon tyres are notorious for perishing before they wear out. This was confirmed a little while later at my local tyre centre.
So now I find myself reverting to Toyo R37 (Mitsubishi original equipment). Apparently there are no reports of Toyo perishing so I expect to get another 50k out of them - especially as I don't drive like my trousers are on fire.

Be warned, people. :shock: :shock: :shock:. Avon are not the only tyres this, apparently, happens to. Other manufacturers use similar tyre compounds.

What is the actual meaning in " tyres are notorious for perishing before they wear out"?
Where actually you loose air pressure? If not puncture it is usually a rim problem not sealed with the tire, rim paint flaking etc.

Perishing, means that the material of the tyre dries out and cracks.

This can lead to sidewall failure, chunks of tread being lost, more punctures (as things find the cracks) or blowouts at speed.

Good tyres don't do these things.

Bladevane said:
Back in 2019...
Be warned, people. :shock: :shock: :shock:. Avon are not the only tyres this, apparently, happens to. Other manufacturers use similar tyre compounds.
So finally, when submerged in water where the tire was loosing air?

littlescrote said:
I would advise an all season tyre anyway, if you are not going to put winter tyres on.

That works only if you leave somewhere without snow, ice and cold temperatures.
In near-freezing temperatures winter tyres are much better than all seasons, not to mention on snow and ice.

I would never recommend all-seasons to someone unless they live in like a flat country (or in the flag parts) with temperatures above 0 even in the Winter, like England, Spain, Southern Italy, Greece, Cyprus, etc. If driving during the winter requires crossing mountain ranges winter tyres are a must.

nrayanov said:
That works only if you leave somewhere without snow, ice and cold temperatures.
In near-freezing temperatures winter tyres are much better than all seasons, not to mention on snow and ice.

I would never recommend all-seasons to someone unless they live in like a flat country (or in the flag parts) with temperatures above 0 even in the Winter, like England, Spain, Southern Italy, Greece, Cyprus, etc. If driving during the winter requires crossing mountain ranges winter tyres are a must.

Agreed. I was advising someone in England. I live in England too, but will be driving to The Dolomites next week, so have winter tyres.

We drove to the Alps and the Dolomites twice last year, and are off to the Pyrenees and Alps this year. Our all-weather CrossClimates did us proud last year and I expect them to do the same this year. We did try winter tyres on a previous car, but the cost and hassle of switching them over twice a year was a real PITA. You either pay for them to switch the tyres onto your existing rims twice a year, or you have to pay and store a complete set of rims and tyres and switch them over yourself.

I do the latter. It's not much of a hassle, and I picked up the winter set really cheap. When my summers wear out, I will consider switching to CrossClimate or similar.

ThudnBlundr said:
We drove to the Alps and the Dolomites twice last year, and are off to the Pyrenees and Alps this year. Our all-weather CrossClimates did us proud last year and I expect them to do the same this year. We did try winter tyres on a previous car, but the cost and hassle of switching them over twice a year was a real PITA. You either pay for them to switch the tyres onto your existing rims twice a year, or you have to pay and store a complete set of rims and tyres and switch them over yourself.

Well, if you have another set of rims (which is recommendable anyway instead of just changing the tyres on the same set or rims), you can change the rims on your own in your garage and store them there. That's what I do. Costs me an hour twice a year.

That also increases the tyres' lifespan, meaning that you are not rolling on them all year, both at +40 C and - 20 C.

Now, in England, you don't have real mountains, nor do you have -20 C, or +40 C, so I understand why running all seasons all year round is a good idea.

But if you travel into the Alps, do not really on the all-seasons.
First, you are going to have a hard time with traction, second, the fine for not using winter tyres during winter in the Alps is not cheap in any of the countries. Don't even try it. It's not worth the problems. You could get lucky once or twice, not being checked by the authorities, of course.

ThudnBlundr said:
Except that CCs have the 3-Alp symbol and so are certified for use in the Alps in winter (and elsewhere that requires that symbol)

Wasn't aware of that, but these certificates might help you abolish the fine in court, I doubt the police will care much about the symbol if you are not with winter tires.
Here are the rules for Austria, Germany, Italy, and Switzerland:

• Austria - Winter tires are mandatory. Snow chains should be carried.
  • Germany - All passenger cars and motorbikes are to be fitted with winter tires or all-season tires on all axles in wintry conditions. Snow chains should be carried. Certain mountain roads require winter tires and chains. Look out for traffic signs indicating where winter tires or snow chains are mandatory.
  • Italy - Winter tires are recommended but only compulsory on specific roads. You must carry snow chains in certain areas. In Val d’Aosta vehicles must be fitted with either winter tires or snow chains. No exceptions are allowed. Look out for traffic signs indicating where winter tires or snow chains are mandatory.
  • Switzerland - Winter tires are not compulsory across the whole country but tires must be appropriate for winter conditions. Look out for traffic signs indicating where winter tires or snow chains are mandatory.

And how do the police identify "winter tyres"? By using the 3-Alp symbol :roll: CCs are legally winter tyres for use in the parts of Europe that require them.

If you want to be complete, you've missed off the timings for the various countries that winter tyres must be used - of course the dates for mandatory fitment are different in the various countries. And you've missed out the rules for the mountainous departments of France too.

Back