extended range fuel tank?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

Has anyone investigated if the later model 57litre fuel tank can be fitted in place of the 45litre fuel tank (2020)?

I've seen people adding LPG on these, so there is a way to an additional fuel tank and have more range. However, I don't think the regular one from the petrol version can fit. If it could, they would've put it instead.

I think it might be a buyers demand sort of thing.
2 litre motor with 12kW battery became 2.4 litre with 13.8kW and now 20kW battery.
Fuel tank was 45 litres and became 57 litres.
Corolla's started the size of a Suzuki Swift and are now almost Camry's.
Evolution.

I know the later 2022 Outlander PHEV is Nissen based but if the chassis is mostly retained from the 2020 model, there's a good chance the newer 57 litre tank fits in the same place. It depends on how shaped it is to fit in with what's around it as to how easy/hard it might be to retrofit. I don't have the facility to look at or compare the two models side-by-side on a hoist that a dealer might, or have access to the parts books they have, so I thought it worth asking if anyone else has ever explored this.

The 2020 Outlander and the 2022 Outlander are different generations and the chassis looks different.

I don't think they will fit, but if someone is willing to experiment and let us know of the results, that would be great.

A couple of times in the year I have to travel over 500 kms so it would be good to have a large fuel tank.

I doubt it will fit. The 2023+ is a composite tank and its benefit was the ability to mold to the nooks and crannys to gain the extra litres over the traditional shaped tank.

Back