Is the 2023 Base Trim Nice?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontheroad

I plan to put a deposit on a new Outlander PHEV next week and I'll probably go with the base trim. The SEL is tempting with leather seats but it's over 8k more (in Ontario Canada), so I'm not sure I can justify it. I've never purchased a new car before and I'd rather not go above 50k, which is approximately what the base trim would cost.

My question is: does anyone know if the interior of the base trim is nice and comfortable? Or does it look & feel cheap?

I probably won't get to sit in a base trim at the dealership since they usually only carry higher trims, so I'm worried I'll order it and then be disappointed when it arrives, and wish I'd splurged on the SEL.

Anyone on here been in a 2023 Outlander base trim?

Thanks.

I test drove an ES but I wasn't really paying attention to the seat materials but the overall design of the interior is the same across all trims and is a step-up from the previous gen IMO. The SEL does provide quite a bit more than just the leather seat materials over the ES though. A lot of the extras are comfort-based and improve quality of life so that is really for you to decide if it is worth the extra $. You can compare the trim levels on the mitsu website if you haven't done so already.

If you plan on using a roof rack for anything such as a cargo box, bike carrier, ski rack, etc, the ES does not come with the roof rails needed for the crossbars. If you will need a roof rack for anything IMO it would be worth it to go up to at least the LS to get the integrated roof rails and some other quality of life features.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't care about roof rails, so that's not a consideration. The main issue for me is that I don't want to sacrifice safety, so if the SEL trim is in any significant way safer than the ES trim, then I would pay more for it. Looking at the website, it seems the ES trim has all the safety features of the SEL (ACC, FCM, BSW, etc.)....but one difference that might be important is 20" wheels on the SEL versus 18" on the ES. I've read that 20" wheels are safer than 18" and provide increased ground clearance, but perhaps the difference is negligible.

It may be nice but...
Some crazy things came up last week with all extreme cold snap.
First the vehicle is equipped with heat pump only (beside the engine heat) and apparently you can't preheat the vehicle in temperatures below -15C
Second, although the 12V is good to start the system a lot of complains that in -30C the vehicle will refuse to move, can't start the ICE as well, since the traction battery is shut because of temperature.

Bigger wheels likely come with lower profile tyres to keep the rolling radius, and therefore ride height, the same.

ontheroad said:
I've read that 20" wheels are safer than 18".

That's the biggest nonsense I've read on this forum.
20'' tires are more likely to puncture, the ride won't be so smooth and your mileage on the battery will be worse with them.

ontheroad said:
My question is: does anyone know if the interior of the base trim is nice and comfortable? Or does it look & feel cheap?

Anyone on here been in a 2023 Outlander base trim?

Thanks.

I have not been sit on the PHEV ES model, since in California most dealers only carry SE, SE Tech package, SELTouring and SEL Premium.
SE Model - est price USD 44,000
it has standard safety like ACC, LKA with black leatherette and suede materials.
SE tech package - est price USD 46,500
it has the Bose sound system, Panoramic moonroof , wireless phone charging

They looks good and we almost take this model.
Some missing convenience features : no memory seat on driver and passenger side - I can't understand for 45k car don't have the memory seat. and also no heated stirring wheel, no heated seat on 2nd row.

the inside doesn't looks cheap.....until we saw the SEL model with the light gray / white interior.
We can tell BIG differences

SEL Touring - est price USD 49,500
this model has all the convenience we're looking for
memory seats for driver and passenger.
Heated steering wheel
Panoramic moonroof
Bose sound system
2nd row heated seat
2nd row Climate control - total has 3 climate control

Oh as a Bonus
this model has 1,500 Watt outlet and can use the Chademo level 3 Fast charge. Very convenient for road trip.

but ........we can't find one for sale, 4 dealership in So Cal area only has this model for Demo only.

we ended up with SEL Premium, this one has the SEL Touring features, with Black roof, HUD and massage seat :)
this model came with Black and orange stitching interior.
est price USD 51,000

you need to visit some dealership and try to at least sit in on different models

starting this month, for lease Mitsubishi / Santander Bank has USD 1,500 cash incentives AND depend on trim there is Incentives range from 6,200 - 7,400. The USD 1,500 incentives was advertise on their dealers websites, but you have to ask for the big one.

We originally ordered a Cosmic Blue SEL Touring but then found a Diamond Red SEL Premium with Black roof. My Wife and I both like the two tone color scheme inside and out! I had to drive 200 miles down to Miami to get it but now I see them on the Autotrader much closer to home! Wife is happy and she loves having an opening sunroof again!!

The interior trim, fabrics and detail all have remarkable quality on par to the detail of the Hybrid system itself. Finish and detail wise the Outlander will easily hold its own against a Discovery or even a Land Rover. I found my 40th Anniversary Outlander some 70 miles from my home. I dropped everything and drove her home the same say.

Thanks for the great forum, I have been studying the Outlander for over a year now.

Mike

nrayanov said:
ontheroad said:
I've read that 20" wheels are safer than 18".

That's the biggest nonsense I've read on this forum.
20'' tires are more likely to puncture, the ride won't be so smooth and your mileage on the battery will be worse with them.

I have the SE trim with the 20" wheels and was thinking of switching to 18". Do you know a good source for 18" wheels for the Outlander? And do you have to do anything to the car if you do switch? TIA.

Back