Android/Apple play upgrade

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviator1971

Hi all. I have a 2017 5H Phev and was wondering if I update the stereo from a Mk3 (factory standard, pictured) to another with Android/Apple play, can I still retain the EV features, eg: charging info, mpg, eco info etc etc.

If so, which one would you recommend without breaking the bank balance?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206_082000_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_082000_eBay.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 61
Hiya.

Think of the head unit as a computer, and all the things you've described as software.

We don't have any method for installing Mitsubishi software onto another computer.

So, short answer, you'll lose all the Mitsubishi software if you replace the head unit.

Hence, no remote control software, no radio, no maps, no CD, etc. (except for what is supplied with the new head unit)

If it helps, I recently purchased a May 2019 PHEV 4HS and it has a non-standard head unit, as per pic attached, it looks like it came from an L200 or Mirage, similar to this one but mine has a microSD slot under the bottom right "button"/cover.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165704615166?hash=item2694c3c4fe:g:LpgAAOSwDr5jOUvb

It does not have any of the EV or vehicle settings screens, however 360 camera and steering wheel remote work perfectly well and in fact I sort of prefer having real buttons and knobs than an all-touch setup so had no problem buying the car with this fitment. No information on why the replacement but the leaflet for the unit was in the document pack, dealer fitted or perhaps replacing a failed original touchscreen? Sadly the used dealer may have removed and disposed of the TomTom microSD as that's not present, but with android auto I just use TomTom-go that way instead.

My daughter's 2018 2.4L 4H has the touch screen and she's 50-50 on it tbh. For the settings I think I can do most via the WiFi app so I don't really notice the loss from the info system.

Forgot to mention - only the front USB works with this unit, the rear one doesn't appear connected, likely a limitation of the head unit? I may look to replace the rear socket with one that just gives power but isn't really important for my use. The microUSB is NAV only however, so you can't pop a card with music files into it or the unit won't do anything other than complain, unfortunately. So I just wrote a DVD with a bunch of MP3's and that works just fine for my purposes :)

Figured out the attachment, didn't look closely enough, my bad.

Attachments

• non-std head unit.JPG
    non-std head unit.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 46
Back