Buying 2nd hand with warning lights (12v?)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkLife

[*]Hi all, thanks for a great forum. It’s been a big part of deciding to find my first Outlander

Decided on going for the 2019 2.4 and found a likely candidate with 20k miles on the clock at a dealer. The vehicle is in good condition with full service history, but had very low main battery when we viewed. Before we test drove, we were in playing with various electronics at which point warning messages started popping up on the dash:

EV system service required stop safely
Brake system service required
ASC system service required
BSW service required

All flashed up, then, after a time, the console flashed on and off a few times and then died entirely

I felt for the salesperson who seemed like a genuinely nice guy (regardless of it being a big red flag for me, it’s obviously not what you want when selling) who went off to speak to the mechanics and returned to say that it was due to the little 12v auxiliary battery being low on charge, perhaps from being sat for awhile.

Obviously my first thought was - I’m looking at a secondhand car, warning lights have come on, obviously I’m going to run in the opposite direction swiftly and look at other options, but from doing some research online, it does seem like these warning lights is a fairly common indicator of when the small lead acid battery is on its way out, or is simply very low on charge.

This thread shows someone with similar issues. https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5114&sid=c0023a3f6e199f008377dcca1143a659&start=10

The vendor has agreed to fit a new lead acid battery, which obviously if this is the only issue, is actually a good thing to get as they’re not cheap from what I understand.

So I wanted to ask, as usually as I mentioned I’d run away from a used car with warning lights, but given that the vehicle looks good otherwise. (We test drove it once they’d jumped it and it drove well- we did it in B3 mode mainly but on a short run it didn’t give much charge)
I’m going to view again when the new aux battery is fitted. If the warning lights come on again, then obviously I’ll walk away, but if they’re not, I’m thinking I’ll still consider it.
Is this a crazy decision, or am I right from googling that these problems are exactly what may come from a faulty aux battery and not necessarily or an indicator of bigger issues (like the means of charging the aux batt being faulty)?

One more question. I ran the Phev watchdog app on our test drive which the dealer suggested we do under B3 to give the main batt a little charge. The main batt didn’t show much (but I think if the aux batt is kaput, this may inhibit the ability to charge the main batt in B3? Could be wrong) and on return the app showed this screen. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any help.

2ogFQHA

https://flic.kr/p/2ogFQHA

Hiya.

Did you receive all these errors before or after your ODB2 dongle was fitted to run the Watchdog app?

The reason why I ask, is that there is a known issue, with many cars, that cheap ODB2 devices can futz the entire network.

So my first thought will always be "Does the car throw these errors only when the ODB2 adapter is connected?" if so, blame the adapter, not the car.

Hi Andy
Thanks for the reply. No, the dongle was only plugged in after the issues happened and they'd jumped it so we could test drive

The dongle is a Vgate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD2 which I've seen a number of others use

It wouldn't put me off, but have them charge the main battery up as well (they should have the 'granny' charger with the car to do it from a standard household socket so should have no excuse. Then ask for an extended test drive long enough to deplete the battery and take it on a mix of roads and see what range you get from it. That would be the most realistic way of judging the battery health for you.

A plethora of errors like that is very likely to be a problem with the 12V battery. There have been many, many posts on this forum and the various FB groups with just such errors and I've had similar errors after leaving the car undriven for 2 months.

But there is a small chance that it's not...

Hi
I have exactly the same situation when my 2nd hand car was delivered by Cazoo delivery driver last week, although it happened next day when I went for test drive. On delivery day he was OK to explain all the basic features of my Outlander PHEV, did a short test drive, all bells and whistles etc. later my wife and kids sat in the car while stationary , played with heating radio and air con for a bit and then we locked the car. Next day I went for short drive, and when EV battery went down I decided to charge from my domestic socket. After 10 minutes, my dashboard display went crazy, all these 4 warning lights, radio went on and off and high pitched sound from a back of the car. I panicked and turned off the charging plug. I locked the car, after another 5 minutes I couldn’t even open the booth. I suspected I killed battery with my untested socket so I called Cazoo and after explaining the situation they send RAC rescue guy after few hours . When he arrived he tested voltage, it was 1.4V !! He jump started my car, explained I should leave engine on running for 30-40 minutes to recharge it and said battery health was good but it was just drained. Since then I didn’t have any problems but this is my 4th day owning this Mitsubishi and having this issue after 12 hours of receiving my car didn’t leave great confidence.

Bobreak said:
Hi
I have exactly the same situation when my 2nd hand car was delivered by Cazoo delivery driver last week, although it happened next day when I went for test drive. On delivery day he was OK to explain all the basic features of my Outlander PHEV, did a short test drive, all bells and whistles etc. later my wife and kids sat in the car while stationary , played with heating radio and air con for a bit and then we locked the car. Next day I went for short drive, and when EV battery went down I decided to charge from my domestic socket. After 10 minutes, my dashboard display went crazy, all these 4 warning lights, radio went on and off and high pitched sound from a back of the car. I panicked and turned off the charging plug. I locked the car, after another 5 minutes I couldn’t even open the booth. I suspected I killed battery with my untested socket so I called Cazoo and after explaining the situation they send RAC rescue guy after few hours . When he arrived he tested voltage, it was 1.4V !! He jump started my car, explained I should leave engine on running for 30-40 minutes to recharge it and said battery health was good but it was just drained. Since then I didn’t have any problems but this is my 4th day owning this Mitsubishi and having this issue after 12 hours of receiving my car didn’t leave great confidence.

You probably flattened it "playing with heating radio " etc on the drive with it not in READY mode.

Back